In which I'm reminded how much horse shopping sucks!

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: In which I'm reminded how much horse shopping sucks!

Postby blob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Fatcat wrote:
Xanthoria wrote:Fatcat I bought my current horse from the breeder and yes - it was a lovely experience, until it wasn't. I did buy a 6 month old colt so the wait to ride was VERY long - mistake #1. The other mistake was buying a horse who ended up having PSSM and shivers. If I had waited till he was at least 3 I would have known and bought another horse. Mistake #3 was buying a horse I was told should jump well, with no proof. So I am stuck with an unsellable 6 yr old who really isn't a jumper.

I have been talking to a couple breeders. But in the USA it's very rare to find one who will freejump a 3 yr old over much more than 2' which tells me nothing.

When you look at how jumpers/eventers are marketed in the UK/EU vs US it's startling. In the UK/EU they all show a photo of the horse jumping. If unstarted, freejumping. In the US, you see a cute head shot, flatwork, or a bad conformation pic. "Top level eventing prospect!" - video shows a very ordinary horse slowly jogging over one 2' high fence. They want $25k. Get real.

It's little wonder then that an 8 yr old with Prelim experience in the US is $50k, but in the UK it's $15-20k...

Yes, I've had a horse with PSSM, it was a nightmare. Can you find a breeder who's is producing 3-4yos under saddle from proven jumping parents? That was my thinking--parents that perform = offspring with stable minds and sturdy conformation.

I think the tough thing is that a lot of breeders are selling their best stock early--yearlings and even weanlings. By the time you get to the 3-4 yos, there is often not much left. And for jumping it's tricky because a lot of those, even with jumping bloodlines and great parents, may not actually have the skill or the bravery or the desire needed for an eventer. And it can be hard to test that until you can see them really free jump or be started under saddle. There are some barns in the US that will send a 3 yo through a proper jump chute, but the problem is that a lot of people don't know how ot properly set a horse up for a jump chute, so anything over 2' is a mess regardless of the horse.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:24 pm

Fatcat, yes I have found several - they want $15-50k for unstarted or barely under saddle 3 yr olds. They may be listed in a "price bracket" that spans to $7500, but when you call... $30k or more, depending on how out of date the website is.

And proven jumping parents is certainly the UK/EU way. But in the US? Usually the sire is a jumping WB, and the dam an OTTB with no competition record who had an injury at some point - no way of knowing if it was conformation related as dam conformation shots and other info not available.

I think when I'm back from my November vacation it's time to start seriously shopping in the UK!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm

blob wrote:I think the tough thing is that a lot of breeders are selling their best stock early--yearlings and even weanlings. By the time you get to the 3-4 yos, there is often not much left. And for jumping it's tricky because a lot of those, even with jumping bloodlines and great parents, may not actually have the skill or the bravery or the desire needed for an eventer. And it can be hard to test that until you can see them really free jump or be started under saddle. There are some barns in the US that will send a 3 yo through a proper jump chute, but the problem is that a lot of people don't know how to properly set a horse up for a jump chute, so anything over 2' is a mess regardless of the horse.

So true- I don't know who can afford to buy loads of babies on spec, but good luck to them - they are likely raising the prices of others that CAN jump due to having to absorb the cost of those that don't.

Agree on not knowing how to freejump too. I hear "oh it doesn't tell me anything" and "he might get hurt" but tell me why freejumping competitions are popular in Europe? And why they're a part of WB inspections process? I can set up a simple chute and tell you in half an hour if your horse has the technique I'd like, the attitude, and the physical maturity to go higher. Some horses tell you everything in 1 session, others might need 2 or three. But you're not freejumping them weekly over 5' and destroying their joints.

I have had people free jump a horse in deep footing over a 4' jump every day for a week before I went to see it - hey presto it failed the PPE due to fluid on the stifle. Related? Hm. I have had someone build a tiny x-rail using fence posts with nails in them, then get upset when horse got a cut. Clueless.

paownyc
Greenie

Postby paownyc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:51 pm

I have a friend up in Petaluma who has purchased a couple of event prospects from Ireland for all of the reasons you're stating in this thread. It ended up costing her a lot less than buying here. Maybe you two should chat...

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:01 pm

We should paownyc. I have a friend on the peninsula who did same, and a "FB friend" on the E coast, ditto.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:11 pm

Having been to Ireland many times, ridden ,given clinics, and hunted there, you can find nice horses, but buyer beware. Dealers will buy young stock. Have them jumping courses of 4 foot in 30 days and add 10 K to the price. Importing from Irekand is usually not difficult and adds another 10K to the price, all told.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 pm

I'll also warn you, they can "smell" an American coming a mile away

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Oh but I'm British, Chisamba ;)

(Also agree on the Irish sellers!)

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:26 pm

No idea on import fees sorry Xan, but, sub-tropical island holiday plus a bunch of test riding sounds ideal, doesn't it?!

This is my baby hoss's older half sis (same sire): https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/equest ... 25aaad683f

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Xanthoria wrote:Oh but I'm British, Chisamba ;)

(Also agree on the Irish sellers!)

Sorry!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:19 am

Moutaineer wrote:
scruffy the cat wrote:I have already booked the cheerful holiday flat in Covent Garden for the group.

Because Covent Garden is so incredibly convenient for horse shopping, after all...

Chocolate, I can manage...

Covent Garden for our pre-shopping outing to Olympia!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:12 am

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:59 pm

Hey Ponichiwa yes - that one got sold right quick! I'm 2nd in line...gah.

In other news I booked flights to Portland/Seattle for a weekend in 2 weeks. I'm going alone what with one thing and another, and seeing 4 horses. Obviously there are things I really like about each, but I am not feeling hopeful, and if I am very honest with myself they have faults:

A plain bay mare who is a bit too short
A chestnut mare who might be too chunky
A gray mare with sickle hocks and some very novel breeding who has arabian (pronky canter) tendencies...
A bay gelding who is a hard keeper with a bad attitude (or is it ulcers? or lack or turnout/magnesium?)

All between 12-25k. Why am I going to see them? Due diligence? I don't know anymore. And the horses in the UK at about 6-10k UKP all look a lot nicer and are better produced... even when you add $10-11k import.

How do people buy sight unseen. How? Can anyone tell me? They must own land. They just have to. Ahh!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Xanthoria wrote:How do people buy sight unseen. How? Can anyone tell me? They must own land. They just have to. Ahh!

I bought sight unseen 4x. I do own land, but what does that have to do with it? I don't fly, as I have claustrophobia. I will drive a reasonable distance to see a horse, but I can't go away more than a day because I have nobody reliable to watch the farm.

I have not been disappointed with what I bought sight unseen. They all looked slightly different than their photos and videos, but I saw enought photos from all angle, videos, etc. in order to judge.

If there were things I thought were negatives (like on your list) I wouldn't consider the horse. Of course, we can't have everything and there are trade-offs.

I will say that the horses I went to see in person, were all less nice than I expected. They were all smaller than advertised. Few people take an accurate measurement; they just guess.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Whoa, Xan, your list would not make me get on a plane. Maybe a private plane with time and money to burn, but not regular travel! lol

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:39 pm

well its not that far (2 hours) and I used points but... :?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:34 am

Xan, you probably look at Phyllis Dawson's horses, but this one just got listed with a reduced price. 15k I think. Looks like a nice willing guy. Pretty too. http://www.teamwindchase.com/Olimpus.htm

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:50 am

mc, I have been watching her horses. I'm still a bit hesitant seeing $30-50k for barely started horses with potential, and can only assume one reduced to $10-20k is going to be a low level type.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 am

Phyllis has nice horses.....

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 am

She does!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:47 am

Xanthoria wrote:Hey Ponichiwa yes - that one got sold right quick! I'm 2nd in line...gah.

In other news I booked flights to Portland/Seattle for a weekend in 2 weeks. I'm going alone what with one thing and another, and seeing 4 horses. Obviously there are things I really like about each, but I am not feeling hopeful, and if I am very honest with myself they have faults:

A plain bay mare who is a bit too short
A chestnut mare who might be too chunky
A gray mare with sickle hocks and some very novel breeding who has arabian (pronky canter) tendencies...
A bay gelding who is a hard keeper with a bad attitude (or is it ulcers? or lack or turnout/magnesium?)

All between 12-25k. Why am I going to see them? Due diligence? I don't know anymore. And the horses in the UK at about 6-10k UKP all look a lot nicer and are better produced... even when you add $10-11k import.

How do people buy sight unseen. How? Can anyone tell me? They must own land. They just have to. Ahh!

Xan have you reached out to Luke Boardman? He is in the UK and has a steady volume of really, really good horses. Yes. you have to pay import of <> 10K for a gelding. However, Luke's reputation is impeccable and the quality of horses he gets in is beyond comparison. Just google Luke Boardman International Sporthorse Sales on FB. Caveat - he has a big following of ready clients and when he gets a horse in they go very, very quickly.

You could also look at RD Horses, Luke Babier - Davies, Sam Walton Performance Horses (UK) or Cooper's Hill Livery (in Ireland).

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:34 am

PaulaO wrote:Phyllis has nice horses.....

Deputy Ben!! (He shares tangential blood lines with my Maia :D )

Let me know if you want to visit Windchase -- I'd love to go with you!

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:28 pm

I really like the one MC linked to - very nice boy. I would still reach out to these other farms mentioned at least to let them know what you are looking for - they might get back to you with others not listed, etc. It already sounds like the ones you listed you already have issues with.....

For what it's worth - there are gorgeous horses listed in Canada in the Vancouver area - just over the PNW border.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:02 pm

Based on your descriptions, I would rule out the last 2. Sickle hocks and wonky canter, no. Hard keeper with bad attitude? Definite no. I’d buy the one MC linked to sight unseen before I’d even look at those 2.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Good advice about shopping in Canada. I really like the one MC linked to. Looks similar in quality to the "expensive" (for US buyers) Irish imports at my barn.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm

OK. I have emailed Phyllis, for the sake of due diligence. I do think Olimpio will be lower level at best - her horses listed as Prelim capable are $30k plus. heddy if I do go I'd love company! :D

The thing about "wonky hocks" mare is great attitude! Her canter under saddle is fine - her canter in the round pen is pronky... $12k

The think about "bad attitude" gelding is great gaits, loves to jump! $25k

But of course you never know till you see it what is a manageable youngster attitude, and what is dangerous, and so on. No matter how much you ask, just getting a conformation shot is difficult, let alone video that shows walk, trot and canter. And a freejump video? GOOD LUCK. Why are sellers so bad at selling horses?

The thing about all of them is.... horses with lots more experience and better breeding are cheaper in the UK. Even with import fees. A horse already going recognized Prelim+ equivalent can be had for 15k+ sterling, which here in CA would be $45-55k.

redsox - I just reached out to Luke Boardman: thanks!

Anyone got farms in Canada to look into for eventers?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Xan, have you competed Preliminary?

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Not as an adult - Traning tho - why?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Anita Nemtin - Gilmore in Toronto, Canada. I got a very nice event horse from her for a client. Top notch farm.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 pm

No specific reason. Just wondered why going Prelim was so important to you. I would think it takes a lot of time and effort to keep a horse prelim fit.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:58 pm

musical comedy wrote:No specific reason. Just wondered why going Prelim was so important to you.

I've always wanted to ride at Prelim because I found Training relatively easy, I have 2 great trainers, and I think it's a very achievable and realistic goal (vs saying I want to ride Advanced) - much like anyone wanting to ride 3rd I guess. I like to have goals :)

musical comedy wrote:I would think it takes a lot of time and effort to keep a horse prelim fit.

It does indeed - I have spent a lot of time and effort maintaining a Training level horse (ex Intermediate) and for many years kept 2 horses fit for hunter pacing and eventing at once: it's a lot of work. I guess the same time and effort to prepare a higher level dressage horse?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Xanthoria wrote:
musical comedy wrote:I would think it takes a lot of time and effort to keep a horse prelim fit.

It does indeed - I have spent a lot of time and effort maintaining a Training level horse (ex Intermediate) and for many years kept 2 horses fit for hunter pacing and eventing at once: it's a lot of work. I guess the same time and effort to prepare a higher level dressage horse?

But it's more than just time and effort. Dressage can be done in an indoor exclusively. I know quite a few bnts that never work outside an indoor except to show. You're in California, so you don't have the weather issues. Here in the NE, you can't find conditions to gallop and jump outside for several months of the year. Eventers go to Florida or SC. Even eventing at Training, it was hard getting in galopping and jump schools. I often think about that when the weather turns crappy, and am glad I'm not doing it anymore. Even in the Summer, conditions on x-country can be bad. Too hard, too wet.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Yes. It must suck to try and reach any horse goals in areas where the weather is a challenge.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Xanthoria wrote:Yes. It must suck to try and reach any horse goals in areas where the weather is a challenge.

It's the price we pay for lower fire risk! But yes, the competitive half my barn will go to Florida soon.

Piedmont, staying afloat in the land of temperate rain forests and foothills..with a chance of snow flurries this week

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Yeah come to think, when there's a wildfire that certainly stops the workouts! :shock:

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 am

OK reply from Phyllis with details on horses for sale.

They are... somewhat high prices in the US. But she sells a ton - I am sure because she has a big selection. But she did say ALL 13 of the ones she listed could go Inter/Advanced. Which seems like a huge group of such massively talented horses and a vast price range from 10-50k :?:

But $30-50k buys you a horse currently competing intermediate or advanced in the UK, and hers at that price have either NOT competed, or only gone Novice. I just can't wrap my head around it... I'm absolutely loath to shop in the UK what with all the logistics, but... This must be like the gypsy pony phenomenon? :lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am

Xanthoria wrote:OK. I have emailed Phyllis, for the sake of due diligence. I do think Olimpio will be lower level at best - her horses listed as Prelim capable are $30k plus. heddy if I do go I'd love company! :D

The thing about "wonky hocks" mare is great attitude! Her canter under saddle is fine - her canter in the round pen is pronky... $12k

But of course you never know till you see it what is a manageable youngster attitude, and what is dangerous, and so on. No matter how much you ask, just getting a conformation shot is difficult, let alone video that shows walk, trot and canter. And a freejump video? GOOD LUCK. Why are sellers so bad at selling horses?

The thing about all of them is.... horses with lots more experience and better breeding are cheaper in the UK. Even with import fees. A horse already going recognized Prelim+ equivalent can be had for 15k+ sterling, which here in CA would be $45-55k.

Just making sure you noticed my plug for Anita at Topnotch in Toronto
Attachments
FB_IMG_1543995875621_240x240.jpg
The horse we got from Anita
FB_IMG_1543995875621_240x240.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 23582 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:03 pm

I think you are making this more complicated than it is, and I don't mean that in a snarky way. In the US you'll pay for potential (and with PD's horses, it sounds guaranteed) and put time and money into training, or you can go to the UK, pay the same price, and get a horse that is already doing what you want. If you decide to shop in the UK from an established breeder/seller who exports, I'm sure the seller would be able to handle the logistics for you (for a price).

I guess I'm trying to say don't settle for something that might do. At this price and level and training, get a horse that will do.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm

No I completely get that Paula and I am seriously prone to settling for less for myself when in this case there is no reason to!

I tend to just love every horse and see the potential in them. If I could buy them all and give them a chance I would. But at this stage I already have one horse whose potential will never be fulfilled so it’s time to get real.

*slaps self* :mrgreen:

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:40 pm

If you're not already, you might want to get in touch with the COTH poster Xctrygirl. She's imported 2 horses in the last yearish from the UK (jumpers, not eventers) and may have some tips for you. Potentially both contacts and logistics.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/foru ... st10263911

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:51 pm

I have been taking to her! :mrgreen: 8-)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm

RE: grey horses...you will probably be dealing with melanoma at some point. Usually more of a nuisance but not necessarily. I currently have a grey horse. I won't have another. Her first melanoma popped up at 2! They were pretty minimal between having that one removed and now but she is starting to seriously grow some new ones as she is finally at "the" age they appear. She is 16.

Good luck in the continuing search.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Chisamba wrote:Just making sure you noticed my plug for Anita at Topnotch in Toronto

Oh thanks! I knew someone had given some Canadian info but I couldn't find it.

snftrs2
Greenie

Postby snftrs2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Xanthoria wrote:OK. I have emailed Phyllis, for the sake of due diligence. I do think Olimpio will be lower level at best - her horses listed as Prelim capable are $30k plus. heddy if I do go I'd love company! :D

If you're able to take a trip, I think it can be worthwhile. At minimum, you become more and more clear about what you do/don't want and will/won't accept. And sometimes things just look different in person. That said, I do think it's a huge win if you can buy a horse that's already doing some of the job you intend for it - you'll know more about their soundness.

I just took a boondoogle trip and bought the horse. I'm not sure yet but I think I may have gotten lucky because the horse had been presented with poor sale videos so not much interest. Trying him in person was the only way to find out. A big bonus, for me, is that he's already doing the work I intend and seems to be comfortable with it. Pictures soon ...

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:41 pm

RE: greys. Bob the Wonder Pony was grey and died at age 29 with exactly 2 melanomas, both the size of pencil erasers. It is a crap shoot regarding color, but I would never discount a grey just because of that. Plus it's my favorite color.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:29 pm

me too - I would not hold gray color against a horse. My pony is a very dark black gray and now looks like a silver back gorilla color - a black roan color with black mane and tail. :lol:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:04 pm

I wouldn't go out looking for a gray, but the one I had is now back at her breeders, is 24, and has a visible melanoma under her tail but is still healthy otherwise. Her dam was also gray and lived into her 20's, but then started having recurring colics which may or may not have been melanoma related.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Aw I can't see those Paula - but I requested to join the group so I can.

In other news, the wonky-hocked mare is OFF the list, after the seller disclosed some issues.

That means I have half a day free to look at a horse, between Portland and Seattle. Or I can change my flight and not have to get up at 4am... :shock:

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:27 am

I was just reading Xan's post on the other board. It brought to mind a situation my friend just encountered that really sucked. Let me share it with you.

Friend finds a horse she likes that is about 1.5 hours away. Seller is not really a 'dealer', but sort of. I won't bore you with those details.

Seller claims to be very particular about who buys their horses. They ask many questions and the want to see video, etc. etc. The horse in question is a young draft cross that is currently fox hunting. They were asking 25k and friend was ok with that price.

Friend talked on the phone with sellers husband. (He's a rider and a farrier). Friend gets grilled with all the questions. Eventually they claim they are happy with her as a buyer and they like friend's riding on the video.

Friend tries to get an appointment to come see the horse, but sellers keep putting her off with flimsy excuses. Next thing, ad on FB gets removed. Eventually seller's husband calls friend and tells her that they have decided that she is not a good match for the horse. They claim the horse is having some behavior issues, etc. and that it needs a pro. They are going to send it to a pro for a while for training. Ok.

Next thing friend sees the horse up on an auction site. It's one of those auctions that usually doesn't command big bucks. Horse sells on the auction site for 7k.

Now...you tell me what's up with this deal? Friend is the absolute ideal horse owner. Has her own place, has money, is a nice kind rider, etc. etc.

The moral to this story is: horse shopping sucks.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”