I think I have created a service horse

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

I think I have created a service horse

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 am

8-) :mrgreen: .

So one of the precautions for my back surgery are no 'excessive' bending at the waist. Of course, I am working in the round pen with my horse and drop my cell phone on the ground :oops: :evil: . I have my riding tights on and they don't have any pockets. I have just been shoving my phone into the back brace. I don't know if it popped out the top or slid out the bottom but it ended up on the ground. Around my house I have a grabber stick in every room but at the barn...nope. I am just staring at my phone going now what because there is not another (human) soul out there.

I had just called Kyra in and she had stopped about 4 feet away from me...hmmm...maybe she could help? I coaxed her in close...she was looking at me warily because I usually don't allow her in that close but she hesitantly cozied right up to me. Of course I told her to please not step on the phone like she would know what I am saying :lol: . Using her as a balance 'wall', I got down on 1 knee which kept my back straight. Picked up the phone then go what do I do now? Really no grab straps or such and I needed something to help pull me up without freaking out the back. I was working her at liberty and she was nekkid. Just then, like she knew what I needed, she lowered her neck and I was able to grab her mane and stand up. What a sweetie. :mrgreen:

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: I think I have created a service horse

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 am

:D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Good girl!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:21 pm

What a great story! If you have a fusion, hopefully the hardware will hold it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Good girl Kyra!
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Awwww, so sweet. Horses are amazing creatures--more sensitive to our needs than they get credit for I think.

In my teens and twenties i had lots of knee troubles, including multiple surgeries. My beloved TB, Willie, allowed me to lean my crutches against him while I shimmied on from right or left side, depending on which knee was messed up. This same horse was one who would buck so hard in the indoor that I sometimes worried I'd hit my head on the rafters!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Good mare, Kyra!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:16 am

No fusion Tsavo. Just a disc issue but still no "excessive" bending, twisting, lifting. Whatever "excessive" is. I am trying my hardest not to find out because excessive will end with me back where I started :P and I don't want that.

SueB that is cool. When I had foot surgery several years ago, Kyra was terrified of my crutches. One day I spent about 20 minutes trying to desensitize her to them. Finally got her to stand still and just snort instead of trying to leave the county. I walked out of the indoor and right back in and we had to start all over again :roll: . She never did figure that out (me on 'three' legs with 2 of them silver). Funny, she had no issue whatsoever with my knee scooter but it did not do well at the barn on gravel.

It is just cool when you get their trust and they can tune into what you need.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:20 am

Awwww so nice!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”