Virtual shoppers, interested in another one?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Virtual shoppers, interested in another one?

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Saturday I will be putting my horse down. He has a mysterious sleep deprivation/collapsing disorder and kissing spines and he's become quite dangerous despite a million tests and interventions. I'm exhausted and heartbroken. In most ways I'm not ready to give my heart to another horse but I also know I'll really benefit by having something to ride and learn on. It keeps me level and sane and a whole lot nicer than when I am not riding. Plus my DH now works from home so I HAVE to get out of here.

Farley was an OTTB and I adored the brain. He was a great mover and we won a lot at local schooling and recognized shows at TL and we've been schooling 2nd Level most days. I'm riding with an FEI trainer who is a former Olympian so I have good eyes on the ground. She'd prefer I got a warmblood. :roll: :lol: I just enjoy the training process, going to shows, and one day maybe getting my medals, or at least one of them.

I don't have to have another TB but I love their will to work and learn. After having 2 horses with mysterious physical issues, I'd like to see if I could find something that wasn't guaranteed to go lame the minute I bought it. I can sit a spook and a buck but gosh I really would prefer not to- a great brain is really important. And I don't buy on color but I'd really prefer no grays and their propensity for other mysterious and not-so-mysterious health issues.

Budget is around $25k with a little flexibility. Northeast horses are easier than farther but distance isn't a dealbreaker. Young-ish is better than older.

@Chantal- does your Wild Dance person have any more of them? Now *that's* a great brain.

Backyarder
Novice

Re: Virtual shoppers, interested in another one?

Postby Backyarder » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:32 am

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:26 am

Scruffy, I can't help with links, but look up Sharon May-Davis' information on the congenital C6-C7 malformation. I have no idea of Farley's breeding but this malformation is rampant in TB and also Warmblood lines and causes major issues. It can be picked up with xrays which I would highly recommend including in any PPE for a new horse. Could save you much heartache with your next equine partner - especially at that price point.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:19 am

I'm sorry to hear about Farley, Scruffy. How very sad for you.

Do you have height/sex/level of training requirements?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:27 am

I'm not super picky. I'd love for it to be above 15.2 and below 17 but I care more about soundness, temperament, and work ethic. I don't mind green as long as it's not a nut. And while I'd love a TB brain, I'm very scared of TB soundness right now and would rather avoid it.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:38 am

Very sorry to hear of your horses' illness. Since you are in NE, I recommend reaching out to Scot Tolman at Shooting Star Farm.
He has a good network of connections. I do know someone selling a lovely Royal Diamond mare that is 8yo, 16.3 with a change.
She is showing medium which is the US equivalent to 2nd level and is 15K GBP. With import you could get her here for <>30K.
The seller has a few others of varying training from 8K to 18K GBP. If you haven't considered the UK, I would. Prices are much better there than here. You are really close to NY, so import is really not a huge deal. I can steer you to a couple of dealers with good history if you like.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:41 am

Thought of another, Woodlander Stud is downsizing ( Breeders of Woodlander Farouche) and she has some good horses for good prices as well.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:51 am

Maybe too small for you but this guy is young and looks sweet.

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... serID=2911

Maybe too young but this girl looks lovely and may still grow a bit taller.

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=18976

Another seller in Canada with 3 horses for sale.
https://www.warmblood-sales.com/SellerL ... UserID=700
Last edited by Josette on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Redsoxluvr- I'm worried Scot Tolman will laugh at me due to my low (only in the dressage world- to me it's a fortune!) budget. If you think he won't roll on the floor laughing if I called, I'll reach out.

I do love the prices and a lot of the training coming out of the UK right now, but again, I'm worried about heartbreak if things go wrong.

Thanks, folks, for the TB listings but right now I am not looking at them. I'm too gun-shy about their health issues. Also, mine was an exceptional mover for a TB so also hard to top. I'd always be comparing others to him.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:58 pm

I'm sorry about Farley. Sending you hugs....

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:15 pm

So sorry about Farley, how heart breaking. I saw this horse at warmblood-sales. No offence to CWB lovers, but this is one of the nicest ones I've seen for sale. Seems like a sweet mare. Maybe too old?

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... serID=5037

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:23 pm

I am so very sorry about Farley, scruffy.

I have no leads but I will keep my fingers crossed for you, today and on Saturday.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:27 pm

OMG, Scruffy. I am so sorry!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:38 pm

Oh she's cute, Sue. I'm not usually a mare person but I did really enjoy BIP's mare so I should never say never. And that palomino that Josette linked to is sweet looking, too.

Thank you for your support. It's probably ridiculous for me to look for horses right now. My heart and mind are all in a muddle and I don't know what I want or whether I have the emotional fortitude to do this again. At the same time I know getting on the back of a horse will help me feel better. Ugh, horses. They always break your heart.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Sorry about this tough place, Scruffy. Hugs for you.

Do you have any friends that could use a horse exercised for a little while, until you are able to heal up a little bit?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Yes, there are a couple around that I will ride. It will help, I know. Nice to be able to ride without that whole emotional component for a bit.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:02 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:Redsoxluvr- I'm worried Scot Tolman will laugh at me due to my low (only in the dressage world- to me it's a fortune!) budget. If you think he won't roll on the floor laughing if I called, I'll reach out.

So sorry to hear about Farley, wishing you swift days to when sweet memories supersede the pain of your loss.

Scot Tolman is a very nice, personable, funny, and extremely passionate about horses guy. He will not laugh at you and may be a very good resource. You should contact him.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank you.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:31 pm

I’m so sorry about Farley. I know you will hold him in your heart forever.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:34 am

It might be worth it to look in Canada. With the exchange rate (0.76 today), you can get better deals, and it's easy to import a horse. I bought Pickle that way and the shipper handled everything - it cost maybe an additional $200 for the health cert. and paperwork.

Very sorry to hear about your Farley.
Keep calm and canter on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 am

I agree horses will break your heart - but - they also help you heal and fill a void. I'll be thinking of you and Farley on Saturday. Sending peace your way.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:02 am

scruffy the cat wrote:Redsoxluvr- I'm worried Scot Tolman will laugh at me due to my low (only in the dressage world- to me it's a fortune!) budget. If you think he won't roll on the floor laughing if I called, I'll reach out.

I do love the prices and a lot of the training coming out of the UK right now, but again, I'm worried about heartbreak if things go wrong.

Thanks, folks, for the TB listings but right now I am not looking at them. I'm too gun-shy about their health issues. Also, mine was an exceptional mover for a TB so also hard to top. I'd always be comparing others to him.

Scruffy, Scot is the nicest guy and he will not laugh. You should totally call him. He has sold riding horses in your budget.
Come to think of it, I know of two that would work if you could do a mare. Both are 20K. PM me and I will get you the details.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:27 am

Sorry to hear about your Farley...I know it’s bittersweet, but I’d be looking for another right away, too. Not that another horse can ever take the place of and old one, but new horses are so exciting that it takes away some of the sting of losing an old one.

I used to window shop ALL the time, but somehow, I am not doing that anymore. Maybe it’s because so many people on the board are looking and I am looking at all the suggestions! Best of luck in your search.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:28 am

I’m so sorry, scruffy. Horses can and will break your heart at any given time. I lost a four year old to a very mysterious heart problem a number of years back and I was practically ready to give up. Then a really great horse fell into my lap and we are 2/3 of the way towards our bronze (although rehabbing from a tendon injury presently, sigh).

It’s a journey, isn’t it?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Thinking of you, Scruffy.

I agree that as we transition one to the bridge, it can be very helpful to have another mend our hearts.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Thank you.

I did send Scot Tolman an email. We'll see what he says.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Scruffy, sorry to had to make the decision to put Farley down.

Imho having another horse right away may be the best thing for you.

I put my heart horse down on July 5th and I think having bought my mare 2 years before all this really helped me.
it still gave me somewhere to go, responsibility and ahorse to love on. She will never fill his shoes but without her I would have been in a very dark place. She eased my pain.

Good luck in your search for a partner.

Hugs

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:35 am

Scruffy - very sorry to hear about Farley.

That palomino mare Josette posted is worthy of consideration. Her sire has been shown FEI (at least PSG I think) with good scores. I have seen him in person and he is a great mix of beauty and brains, plus the F line generally passes along the nice expressive movement. I think she's going to be quite something when she gets stronger under saddle.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:46 am

You are all so kind. It's a great relief to talk to those who have been there before.

I am definitely keeping the palomino mare in mind. I'm not much of a mare person but I don't entirely rule them out if the fit is good.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:17 am

I never thought of myself as a mare person either. A good one will change your mind and heart.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:42 pm

thinking of you today...

khall

Postby khall » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm so sorry about Farley. Gentle hugs for you.

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2109009.html

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Sorry about Farley, Scruffy. Huge loss. Horses are a tough game.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:04 pm

The paint colored mare was previously priced around $20K when initially listed. Her price has dropped to half. Maybe rider off to college.

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=16091

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:18 pm

I love the palomino. In theory. If you feel like actually working hard and going places, she seems awesome. All the pieces are there and she's undeniably gorgeous, but they're just pieces and it will take time and effort to put them together.

Your mileage might vary but, personally, through repeat experiences, brought on by almost delusional level of lack of insight of what i really want (versus what people think i should want), i have finally conceded that horses who require consistent work and effort are too much work to be fun for me. I'm into instant gratification, like, you know, microwaves and made horses.

The paint mare is not my favorite, and as we've already established above, i'm the most under-striving person on this board. Of course she is smooth, she has zero suspension.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:00 pm

Ha ha, I'm into the work part, fortunately! The paint mare is too drafty for me and she's young, so she'll get more drafty even though she looks like a sweetheart. I did email about the palomino and I emailed Scot Tolman. Scot doesn't know of anything and I haven't heard back from the palomino's owner. I really enjoy the training process but the horse has to be able to do the work. If the palomino has a good brain and isn't too mareish, it could be a good match. I would go up there if I can find others in the area so that I'm not traveling 10+ hours just for one horse.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:The paint mare is too drafty for me ...

Interesting comment. If I didn't read she was out of a Belgian are I am not sure I would have thought she was a (half!) draft cross.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:07 pm

@scruffy the cat-I'm asking. Even the great brains spook, I was waiting for it and it happened today. Darn horse is really athletic. And my reins were too long, and I wasn't quite keeping his attention. Shame on me.

I will let you know. He's got a half brother, same stallion, I believe but I need to check. Same age, about 17.3. There may be someone I'm not thinking about as well.

I'm so sorry about Farley.

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 am

No leads, but hugs to you.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:46 am

Tsavo wrote:
scruffy the cat wrote:The paint mare is too drafty for me ...

Interesting comment. If I didn't read she was out of a Belgian are I am not sure I would have thought she was a (half!) draft cross.

Really? You don't see it? (not being snarky- just conversational) I saw it before I read the Belgian part. Actually, of the draft crosses, I usually like the Belgians the best. I like the brains on them. This mare just seemed quite round and thick through the neck and chest, even though she is overall put together relatively nicely. In general, I'm slightly wary of draft crosses because of the soundness issues that come with doing work that they weren't bred for. The Sempatico part would help, I hope. I do know a hano/draft x who has done very, very well locally so maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

@chantal- I'm sorry about the spook. They still are horses! Farley spooked but it was never dirty and never with the intent to dislodge me so it never bothered me much. I'd love to hear about the half brother but 17.3- ugh! paying for all those big blankets and giant shoes!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:02 am

scruffy I see the draft in the mare for sure, just liked her canter better than the palomino's canter. Loved the pally's trot. Would you be interested in an Iberian? I ran across a buckskin Lusitano that has some nice movement, young but looked very sensible.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:14 am

I think the two can't be compared. The palomino is 3 years younger and certainly has lots of strengthening to do, but she's very well bred and has a nice hind leg. The drafty mare looks like a lovely sofa but the draft crosses can be so problematic. They can be such sweethearts but fitness is difficult and they really are built to pull things, not push from their hind end. There are so many unsound ones due to that and I am very leery.

There are 2 well known Lusitano farms near me, so I might go to see some. I'm not ruling anything out right now. Thank you!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:16 am

I will look at that video again but I would never bet money that horse was HALF draft had I not read that. She is not much different from my horse who is a quarter draft and has been mistaken for not having any draft in him.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:29 am

Please look at the third still picture. I claim exactly nobody would guess that mare is half draft (Belgian!) from that photo. She looks as light than my horse who is only a quarter draft. Call me crazy.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:59 pm

LOL- different sets of eyes, I guess. That was the picture that made me say "too drafty"! It's okay, she looks lovely for the right person. :-)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:26 pm

I loved my 1/2 arab - smart, safe, great mover, excellent feet, very healthy, never an issue with hocks.

I really, really wanted a Sempatico bred horse - but, from the few I looked at - they were hotter than I wanted. Then I ended up with a hottish baroque bred! LOL....I should have bought a quarter horse !!!

I'm getting too old for big horses or huge feet that I can barely lift to clean - I sat on a friends draft cross and I hurried back to my petite mare...

There are so many horses out there - just keep looking till you find the perfect match!

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:35 pm

I agree we all have different preferences and requirements. If you keep circling back to look at a particular horse because he/she has caught your eye - it may be good to make an inquiry (phone call over email). I've observed if that horse caught your eye - it did for others too. Those are the ones that get sold quick from what I've observed being a virtual horse browser. :)

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:49 pm

It’s such a tricky situation because if it catches your eye and then doesn’t sell quickly, there’s probably something wrong with it. But not necessarily! And you can’t magically make there be nothing wrong with it by buying it quickly.

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:51 pm

But you can miss all the good ones by not acting quickly.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Yes to what Josette and Bip wrote. Before I bought my mare, I had interest in a couple but procrastinated and they got sold. Also true if it looks too good to be true, there is probably something wrong somewhere.

I have a friend currently looking for a difficult-to-find kind of horse. (Maybe I'll start a thread about it here). She has inquired on several. Each time, there is also some deal breaker once you start asking the questions.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”