OMG! It's a pony

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

OMG! It's a pony

Postby PaulaO » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Ariel has been at her current barn for at least 5 years. The barn does pony rides for parties and festivals, and Ariel used to live with the ponies. I guess she's forgotten what a pony is. Saturday we were riding and teeny Roger the pony came into the arena. Ariel stood stock still like a statue, staring at Roger. She wasn't going to do anything stupid like shy or spin; she just stared and stared like she's never seen one in her entire life. I hope she never has to see the llama!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: OMG! It's a pony

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Tiny ponies always puzzle my 17 H warmblood. Worse yet - a mini pulling a cart!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Ah yes, the equines who don't always recognize equines of different flavor! A good friend of mine had a loud leopard app gelding and took him to a dressage show. One silly WB took great exception to this wildly colored horse approaching him and had a melt down :roll: I'm sure a mini would cause great consternation in my herd as well, heck my boarder's horse takes exception to my different colored pit bull puppy, especially if she comes up behind her. Not that my pit has paid any attention to any of the horses what so ever.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 pm

My horse always stares at oddly colored horses which is funny because I'm sure most of you have seen her. It was great when they put up mirrors on the long side of the indoor :lol: I don't think she's actually scared I think she's curious/nosy.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 pm

Imperini wrote:My horse always stares at oddly colored horses which is funny because I'm sure most of you have seen her. It was great when they put up mirrors on the long side of the indoor :lol: I don't think she's actually scared I think she's curious/nosy.

That's funny, because it took a while for Maya, my appy , to get used to paints, or when horses with high whites. Nevermind that she was raised with leopard applies. :lol:

A larger mini just moved into our barn and another boarder's gelding is not taking it well. I'm glad to see my girls are a little curious but not too concerned.
Last edited by StraightForward on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:52 am

When I first started taking my horse to shows he spent more time with his head up staring than he did moving. His biggest problem though, was when someone unloaded a grey horse from a trailer and he thought it was his grey mare at home. That was the most forward (and most lopsided) test I ever rode on him, because all he wanted to do was get back to the end where the trailers were parked.

My mule, who is now 23 and has been on lots of trail rides, is still worried whenever he spots a person walking, and especially if the person is walking toward him. It's kind of odd because he's not afraid of dogs, bears, deer, turkeys, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, or road traffic, but is still worried about moving humans. It's not an unusual fear for mules, and he did have an incident years ago in which someone walked up behind him and he jumped out of his stall to escape and got banged up on the stall--and he's still terrified of that particular person. But he was afraid of moving humans long before that happened, which is why he jumped out of the stall in the first place. I'm just glad I wasn't on him when it happened, although maybe I wouldn't have gotten kicked if I had been.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:47 pm

I remember having a lesson with Jim Graham and his horse, Rosie (Easter Parade) was in the lower pasture. Rosie was over 17hh. A neighbor's minature horse got loose and in the pasture with Rosie. He tortured Rosie, bit at his knees and chased Rosie all over the pasture until someone had to go and rescue Rosie.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:07 pm

kande50 wrote:When I first started taking my horse to shows he spent more time with his head up staring than he did moving.

OMG, that reminds me of one of my horse's first tests at a schooling show next to a pasture with draft horses. I got THE squarest, abrupt halts, followed by a frozen head-up that needed a boot and a flick of my whip to get her moving. "Mom! What ARE those?!" So freaking funny!!!

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Many years ago, I had 3 ponies in a large paddock and my friend had the adjacent paddock with her young OTTB. All horses and ponies knew each other through the fence. One day a lower board got knocked down and my smallest pony went under the rails to be with the TBs. The big 16+ hand youngster was chased by my pony 10.2 hands - hot on his heels who cheated by cutting across the circles. They were clearly playing and having fun. We laughed so hard and wished we could have caught it on film.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:35 am

My mini has gotten in with each of the 3 boys at least once, and while I don't know whether there were any close calls she was fine when I found her. She's so small though, and the boys are so big and aggressive that I've tried to keep them separated, but maybe because they already knew each other through the fences there wasn't enough drama for her to end up trampled. I did see one of the geldings kick at her once though, and fortunately it went over the top of her because if it had connected there was certainly the potential for some serious damage.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”