WEG - Who went?

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

WEG - Who went?

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Haven't noticed a thread on WEG. Anyone - besides me - go? I saw the Grand Prix and Grand-Prix Special (sadly, freestyle cancelled due to weather considerations), the eventing cross-country and stadium, the show jumping team final and the driving marathon. If I brought a horse home with me, it wouldn't be a dressage horse or the delightful little Vermiculus (he stumbled and lost his rider on cross-country :( ), but one of Boyd Excell's carriage horses. OMG. I think, perhaps, they were Dutch Harness, don't know for sure. True black, high white socks, some with blazes, high knee action, GORGEOUS. He won the individual gold, U.S. won Team Gold in the Combined driving.

It was hot and humid, but x-country day was overcast and in the 70s fortunately. During dressage, those of us who didn't have seats under cover rushed to hide under the stands during each break. Looked like a massacre of some sort, bodies stretched out in the shade all over the place.... :lol:

During the show jumping, I sat in front of a pair of nice Aussie ladies, and every time a horse - particularly an Aussie one! - dropped a pole, one lady would loudly say "sh*t!!" and her companion would immediately remonstrate disapprovingly, "Language!!!!" :lol:

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: WEG - Who went?

Postby KathyK » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:18 pm

I didn't go, but I'm glad you did and had a good time.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Sounds like fun! I had a blast at World Cup in Omaha last year, but my horses have done a great job of draining my bank account this year. Maybe some day!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:30 pm

I watched a lot of it online and enjoyed it! I don't handle crowds and disorganization gracefully so that was the best option for me. I'm glad you had a good time.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:30 pm

I went and enjoyed myself despite the odd bit of rain (and the hurricane looming), plus I also picked up a nasty virus on the plane trip over to USA which I'm still trying to get rid of..

I would have liked to have seen the eventing but only had time for the dressage.

The shade under those stands was really good during the breaks! :lol:

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:55 am

I went and totally enjoyed myself except for the weather. Coming out of a southern Australian winter did not have me ready for that.
Saw the dressage, some vaulting, eventing and best of all the carriage driving. Been wanting to see Boyd drive forever but never stayed long enough but this time I did. His dressage was sublime. I converted friends to the harness after the marathon. They weren't really interested in seeing it at first but were blown away by it.
The people were so lovely, never a cross word and always wanting to help us.
I well and truly over spent but hey this might be the last WEG.

SHirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Yes, the volunteers were wonderful, especially Abby in the ticket office who was dealing with refunds, exchanging tickets after the freestyle was cancelled, etc. Unfortunately, in that capacity, she was the ONLY one who seemed to really know what she was doing, so the lines were a bit discouraging.

Here's a funny: My friend and I were hanging behind some of the shops in the little cabins and watching the horses in the arena. We were watching horses being ridden lightly and hand walked, and my friend commented, "Those are the fattest event horses I've ever seen." Then we realized they were the para-dressage horses.

I had only seen one driving marathon locally (in Northern California), and was duly impressed with Mr. Excell and, indeed, all of the drivers!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”