Casually looking for my last horse

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Casually looking for my last horse

Postby Tsavo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:53 pm

My horse has come sound and I will ride him through the winter if he stays sound but I will retire him by next March when he is 22. I will find him small herd so he can move around and stay as comfortable as possible. The high ringbone on the LF is now visible and is growing quickly. I wonder if that means it will fuse soon? Anyway, my horse is going to have a retirement.

My horse wants to retire to Boca Raton but I told him it was hot AF there so he will stay near me where it is hot AF only part of the year. :-)

I am casually looking again since I think this search will likely take at least 6 months and more likely a year.

I want a Clyde cross mare, preferably 1/4 clyde, 3/4 light, in the 8-10 year range. Preferably barefoot. Not grey unless people won't mind an extremely lowball bid.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: Casually looking for my last horse

Postby Tuddy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:58 am

You need a Canadian... ;)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:36 am

Yes I would love a Canadian but they are not a dime a dozen. They must be in eastern Canada because I don't recall seeing one in three years in Calgary.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Tsavo I know she does not fit your criteria very well, though she is a mare (filly), but man she is a nice moving filly and love the buckskin color! Great price too and in NC. I like her, maybe Xan? if not you.

https://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/ ... kskin-mare

A little older than you had liked, but a Cleveland Bay cross!
https://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php

I know fox hunters breed the draft crosses and in particular the 3/4 1/4 cross.

I had run across a Perch/TB cross by Cottonwood Flame who made it to GP. She is 14 and 3rd level.
http://www.centerlinescores.com/Horse/D ... rBy=levels is her sire. I remember seeing video of him going at the time. He was impressive.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Wow thanks for the links, khall!

That 3 yo mare is super (love the comment about the feet!). I am not familiar with 3 yos... is that a lateral canter and is that normal for being on the lunge at that age? Will it sort out as she is trained? I think I am too old to buy a 3 yo. I am going to be 59 in a few months. But I will keep n eye on that mare.

The second link is broken.

I am watching the fox hunter sites. I suspect that is my best bet.

The last horse is probably too old but I am sure is nice.

Thanks again.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Tsavo wrote:That 3 yo mare is super (love the comment about the feet!). I am not familiar with 3 yos... is that a lateral canter and is that normal for being on the lunge at that age? Will it sort out as she is trained? I think I am too old to buy a 3 yo. I am going to be 59 in a few months. But I will keep n eye on that mare.

Took me a while to figure out that you were watching a different video of that horse than I was... I was sitting there watching 3-and-someodd minutes of a horse trotting placidly around over a ground pole before I looked for other videos. Not a proud moment.

As to the lateral canter: the canter gets more lateral when the mare is out of balance and improves when she's a bit more comfortable with the shape/size of the longe circle. That said, I'm no fan of buying a horse with lateral tendencies at the canter. This sport is hard enough already!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Ponichiwa. Between posting a video of several minutes of trot in the same direction, plus the lateral canter, I would need to bring one or two trainers with me for their opinion about this horse. I do not understand the reason for the extensive trot in one direction video.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:28 pm

I forgot to add, my present horse had a top shelf canter which was his best gait. Very light on his feet. I will not be happy with a lesser canter after that.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 am

I know not a Clyde cross, but I have seen the video of this mare, her canter is NICE!

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2114537.html

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:03 am

That is a very nice horse, khall! She ticks many of my boxes. I would have to get several opinions from several vets about the winging/paddling and long-term soundness. Those are different but I am not sure which she is doing from that video. There is also something funny that I think is due to poor video quality but she looks very slightly uneven on the hinds. Not sure and I think it is just the video quality. I will keep my eye on her.

She is much greener than my horse was... I bought him at 7 and he was showing second and training third but he was in that price range. Hmmm.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:19 pm

I have pulled the trigger. My horse is retired.

Although I have a second level horse I can ride whenever I want, I am looking concertedly for my last horse. Glad we are going into winter... possible deals.

I like the idea someone posted of asking trainers about horses they know are for sale. That is a good way to get a horse who hasn't been advertised. I was lessoning and my instructor knew one of her students needed to sell her horse and approached me. She had come with me to see one mare after another who didn't work out so she knew I was in the market. But when my horse came available she basically read me the riot act about his suitability and she was right. But I am going to hold out for a mare this time because I can and have the other horse to ride for now.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”