Saving magazine articles

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Saving magazine articles

Postby Hayburner » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:09 pm

I unearthed a box of old 2004/2005 dressage today magazines, horse journal and some practical horse magazines. I also found some old UDBB posts that I printed.

I don't need to save the health articles as I'm sure much of the information is out of date. But, I would like to save the training articles and then easily find them once I remove them from the magazines.

I'm trying to de-clutter my life :lol:

What's the best and easiest way to save these?

I don't have a computer at ho,e, tho I do have an iPad and an old laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions

Flight

Re: Saving magazine articles

Postby Flight » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Take photos of the pages on your ipad and save them in a folder on your ipad or laptop?
Otherwise its the old way - rip them out into plastic sleeve and ring binder folder :)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks Flight , I was wondering if I could buy a scanner and scan them to " somewhere" safe?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:38 am

Some scanners can scan directly to a thumb drive. So you could do that, and then upload them to a computer or cloud storage if your old laptop won't work with the scanner. I scanned a bunch of photos with an inexpensive Brother 3-in-1 last winter, and the quality is quite good.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.....I guess this will be my winter project to go through all my magazines and get semi-organized.

Now if only all those great training articles could actually make me a better rider! LOL

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 pm

If you are willing to invest in a flat bed scanner, most of them are capable of scanning the magazine articles in to multiple pages of a single PDF file which would make the articles readable on multiple platforms and keeps the entire article in a single file. I've done with with articles and even entire magazines. I was going to include a sample but the files were too large for the BB software to accept as an upload.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:31 pm

My printer (got it on sale at Staples) will scan to at least my computer (that's where I load everything to). I just looked, it will scan to email, network folder, Sharepoint or computer. Oh, my printer is hard-wired but most offer wi-fi as well.

Will scan to PDF or JPG and does (one of my 'must haves') two sided originals without requiring manual intervention on my part. Many scanners you have to scan the front side, manually flip the original and scan the back.

Look at multi-function printers... those will offer print, scan, copy and sometimes Fax (which I don't use/need).

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:54 pm

I think your best bet is file folders in one of those file containers (that’s where mine are) or in sleeves in a notebook ( like somebody else suggested) and stuck in your bookcase with your other dressage books. Scanning all those things and putting them on a comptur or ipad somewhere is a pain in the neck, not as easy to read, not as easy to find what kind of article you are looking for and chances are you will forget where you put them anyway. At least that’s what happens to me... :lol:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”