Cold is coming! Recommendations for boots, coats?

Keysfins
Greenie

Cold is coming! Recommendations for boots, coats?

Postby Keysfins » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:50 pm

We have had a magnificent autumn here in Colorado, brilliant blue skies and bright turning leaves. However, we got about 3” of snow Saturday night into Sunday afternoon. Yeah, the sun has already taken it away, at least where I am. But it was 19*F taking the dog out this morning!! Brrrr!!

Looking for suggestions for warm, waterproof barn boots that can work in the (English) stirrup. Lace up or zip up is probably more secure than step-ins/pull-ons, especially for walking. I’ve always had Ariat Terrains or Ariat’s insulated paddock boots, but am willing to try something else, if it is supportive enough to spend the day walking in.

Barn coat: looking for something hip length/mid-thigh that could still work in the saddle, with a two way zip in front. Lightweight but warm, if that even exists, since I usually do layers. Lots of nice coats don’t have room to put layers under. I’d like something a bit longer for running horses in/out from turnout on those cold days. Stash-able or removable hood would be ideal. I’ve never tried anything Mountain Horse, for coats OR boots, so if you have feedback, please share!

What is your winter wardrobe that works for northern climes? (I don’t need gear for -40*F!!) Any accessories or tips that you like? I don’t mind spending money on good quality that will last for several years, as an investment. But I also don’t need a full kit for polar exploration!

Suggestions??
"When I look back on my life, the times I have been stingy or unappreciative haunt me. I don't regret one instance of generosity." --PeteyPie

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Cold is coming! Recommendations for boots, coats?

Postby heddylamar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:02 pm

I have a pair of Mountain Horse Rimfrost with added superfeet insoles. There's plenty of insulation (even before the insole), and the sole has great traction. The downside for me is that the shank is far too wide, and if I walk a lot (e.g. ground work with my youngster last winter), I get terrible rubs all around my ankles. I need a shank with a 13-13.5" circumference.

If I walked more at the barn, or when I replace these (8yo and barely any wear), I'd look into the Mountain Horse Snowy River, or try Ariat.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:47 am

I had a Land’s End coat for years. It covered my bum and had a 2 way zipper. Lots of pockets and wrist cuffs. When it gave up the ghost, I bought a lightweight but warm Carhart at Farm and Fleet for $99. I layer with a white t-shirt and a cashmere sweater I bought from a thrift store. Keeps me warm during the long and cold northern Illinois winters. I wear Ariat insulated zip paddocks and wool socks. The coldest part of me is my thighs despite the fat....

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 am

Are you still commuting from the East Coast to CO or in CO full time? For boots, I like the assortment that LLBean has. They can fit you up for almost anything. In the winter I usually ride with a larger stirrup to allow for the extra width of winter boots. I buy handwarmers by the carton on Amazon and they also have the footwarmers. I "think" the Noble coat has a dual zipper.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:53 am

These: https://mountainhorseusa.com/footwear/s ... ddock-boot
I loved the footbed comfort of my Mountain Horse boots. The ones I had didn't last a long time but the design was different than these. They were very supportive underfoot and felt fine in the stirrup.

And this:
https://www.farmhousetack.com/ariat-wom ... -h2o-coat/
(has a split in the rear so you can ride in it)

Personally I am going to move my North Face Arctic Parka to become my winter barn coat. It's ultra warm but you can't ride in it because the rear of the skirt doesn't split.

My recommendations based on 12 years in the outdoor outfitting world and 2 years working at Dover.

I also get a lot of warmth out of filling old socks with flax or rice and tying them off. Then I microwave them and they become hand warmers, bit warmers, boot warmers, etc. Keep them in your pockets and they effectively warm your core. You can use them over and over and toss them when they're gross with barn muck. Cheap and a lifesaver.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:02 am

Does anyone have glove recommendations? I usually just wear the heavier weight of running gloves, but this winter I'll be doing ground work with the baby, and that is not going to be enough on days I also ride.

It doesn't fit Keys' criteria, but I'll put a plug in for this coat for anyone who doesn't need a lot of waterproof: https://www.patagonia.com/product/women ... 28291.html

I picked one up for half price late last winter and love it. It's cozy to put on before/after riding, and washes up well. Softer than Carhart coats, and nicer looking (mine is blue). Also has big pockets for gloves, horse treats, phone, etc.

I also bought a pair of insulated Bogs boots last winter, and love them for wearing around the barn. I change into Ariat Bromonts to ride - nicer to have separate boots that aren't all mucky, IMO.
Keep calm and canter on.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 am

The nice thing about waterproof is that it's also windproof. Maybe our area is the only one that has screaming cold wind sometimes but the truth is it's way warmer to have a waterproof/windproof layer on top of the insulation. I am really not looking forward to the freeze to come...

As for gloves, the Seirus Xtreme Hyperlite Gloves are excellent. They run small, so be aware. They also don't last forever. BUT, they are really warm for the weight and you keep a fair bit of dexterity with them.
https://www.rei.com/product/889580/seir ... ves-womens

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am

Dapple Field wrote:AIn the winter I usually ride with a larger stirrup to allow for the extra width of winter boots.

Same here. I wear arctic pac boots with the felt liners, and they need to be a bigger size than I normally wear so there's enough extra air space. I have some extra wide stirrups I think I ordered from Weaver Leather, but don't remember for sure. My warm weather boots are size 9; my winter riding boots are 12's.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Re-posting my suggestions for the gang here:

These are rugged tall boots that like for wintry days here in the mid=south:
Ovation Moorland boots
Dublin Pinnacle (? not sure of model)boots. The Calton model looks good too.

Both are lined, waterproof, and warmer than a regular tall boot and have a boxier toe box.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 pm

I second the Carhartt jacket. I do live in -40, but I also have a light coat for non -40 days.
Boots - I like the Mountain Horse winter paddock boot.
Gloves - I was at Cabella's and found mitts that were a nice leather on the outside and then Thinsulate on the inside. The best part about them, was that when you put them on, they actually were a glove on the inside. I could grab things, open gates, lead the horses. Unfortunately, if I were riding, (which doesn't happen in the fall/winter for me much, see -40 note above lol), I would have to take them off to girth up.

Keysfins
Greenie

Postby Keysfins » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Great suggestions, thank you!

I think I will head to Dover and see if I can try on some of the boots. Yes, we do have screaming wind here some days, probably more than wet or snowy days. Does anyone use something like winter overpants to put over breeches after/between rides? I usually get a pair of jeans a bit bigger and put those over breeches.
"When I look back on my life, the times I have been stingy or unappreciative haunt me. I don't regret one instance of generosity." --PeteyPie

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Tuddy wrote: Unfortunately, if I were riding, (which doesn't happen in the fall/winter for me much, see -40 note above lol), I would have to take them off to girth up.

As long as the rest of me is well enough insulated so that I'm warm, then I can take my gloves off for long enough to get stuff like that done. In fact, as long as the rest of me is warm I can ride without gloves. So I usually wear leather mittens with wool mittens inside that are loose enough so I can clamp them to my side with my arm and slide my hand out. Then I do whatever it is I need to do and either put them back on, or if I'm warm enough put them in my pockets and ride without them.

I also have a collection of different sizes and weights of snow pants, boots, gloves, mittens, and coats, so that I can pile them all on and then take them off layer by layer as I warm up. In fact, I have two collections, the not-yet-covered-in-barn-crud collection, and the one I choose from to wear to the barn.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 pm

I'd be uncomfortable with wearing pac boots in a stirrup. The big lugs can and will catch on a stirrup iron. Too risky for me. I wear my pac boots around the barn. I throw my little microwave rice/flax warmers in the toes of my riding boots just before getting on, then change into my boots before riding. This kept me comfortable last year even when it was 10-15°. So much so that I'm planning on selling my Ariat Bromonts. I prefer riding in my stiff dressage boots anyway. But the ground is so cold that for walking around or grooming or anything else, I had to have my felt lined -40° Kamiks.

Breeches made of WindPro material are very helpful- cozy inside, wind resistant outside, so much warmer than regular fleece breeches. And yes, overpants make everything a lot warmer.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 pm

This thread is depressing me!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Keysfins wrote:Does anyone use something like winter overpants to put over breeches after/between rides? I usually get a pair of jeans a bit bigger and put those over breeches.

Get a pair of goretex (or similar) pants. The waterproof fabric blocks the wind, and stays dry in the snow. Plus you can use them the rest of the year when you needs to stay dry. They don't need to be lined/insulated if you're going to keep moving between rides. If you go to an outdoor store, like REI, you'll find several options. Mine are pull on, and I really wish they'd die so I can replace with a pair like my husband's that have zippers on the outside seam -- no need to remove boots, or try to get them on/off with boots on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:19 pm

I swear by Smartwool socks - I just make sure they have 60% or higher wool content. I also love Alpaca socks but they are a lot thicker so I only bring them out on really cold/damp days.
Also love SMartwool base layer tops and vests
Undergarments - are Under Armour cold gear long underwear, shirts and turtlenecks
My warmest jacket is an Eddie Bauer - I don't ride in it but it's down filled, super warm, light weight and comes almost to my knees.
Boots - UGGS - both tall and short ones....

I have seen a few people wear the Ariat tall boots - I think they were new out 2 years ago, they are slim looking and they said they are super warm.

SInce I don't ride long or outside in the winter - I just wear my regular riding boot with smartwool socks - then switch to my UGGS for putzing around the barn. If it's really cold I will put a pair of futi's over my tall boots. They are made of neoprene and help insulate your boot.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:40 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:I'd be uncomfortable with wearing pac boots in a stirrup. The big lugs can and will catch on a stirrup iron.

We don't use them with irons because we've never been able to find irons wide enough. I don't ride in the boots with the lug soles, either. Sorel, and probably others, make boots with what's called a herringbone tread, which is a shallow enough pattern that the sole doesn't catch on the stirrups.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Well, I went to Sierra Trading Post today and found some Barbour Thinsulate lined driving gloves for $25. If they are not warm enough, I might do surgery on them so I can put a toe warmer in between the leather and the Thinsulate.

In my research, I'm seeing rave reviews for these Give'r gloves that are made in Wyoming. Their 4-season glove was rated best glove by Outside magazine, but the Classic is much cheaper and looks like it would be better to wear with a liner. https://www.give-r.com/products/4-season-giver-gloves
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Cold hands are my downfall. I'll be looking at some of these gloves. I'd like warm, waterproof but breathable and thin.

But, my experience is that you can do a lot towards keeping your hands warm (less cold...) by keeping your wrists warm, too--I have a fleece layer with thumb holes in the cuffs that makes a huge difference if you then put your gloves on top. I also don't wear my watch, with metal strap, when I'm working outdoors in the winter.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 am

I love waterproof Uggs for barn work and riding

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:35 pm

I didn't think I would like it, but I stumbled across a screaming great deal on a (rechargeable) battery-powered coat a few years ago and figured I'd give it a try. I've been surprised and impressed. I like that it has several levels that I can change as I work around the barn, ride, and avoid a post-ride chill if I get sweaty. It also means that I can get away with wearing fewer layers (less bulk. less wrestling with clothes in the porta-potty).

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:56 pm

What brand and style, Beorn? The barn was going to buy one for one of the instructors for Xmas.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:36 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:What brand and style, Beorn? The barn was going to buy one for one of the instructors for Xmas.

Mine is a Craftsman, which might be the same as the Milwaukee. I have also been eying the ororo since the battery packs are thinner.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:41 pm

These riding skirts look interesting for the really hardcore all-weather rider. https://www.arctichorsegear.com/collections
Keep calm and canter on.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:40 am

Beorn wrote:
scruffy the cat wrote:What brand and style, Beorn? The barn was going to buy one for one of the instructors for Xmas.

Mine is a Craftsman, which might be the same as the Milwaukee. I have also been eying the ororo since the battery packs are thinner.

Okay. I know someone with a Milwaukee and they like it. I saw the Ororo but didn't know anything about it.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”