What makes you happy?

chantal
500 post plus club

What makes you happy?

Postby chantal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:07 am

This picture (DH took it), my new horse, my trainer, my family... but I keep going back to this picture. My trainer and I last Saturday at the October Hunter Pace with my 4 yo and his babysitter, a coming 3 yo rescue. I've been in boot camp for the past month at her place riding all sorts of horses and just playing. She is so much fun and after having a bumpy start with my guy, we are moving forward happily and are much more relaxed.

The bigger picture, this past year has been a long journey. I was diagnosed with RA just over a year ago and if you asked me a year ago, there's no way I would have thought I would be where I am right now. I cried more than I ever have in my life and it plain and simple sucked. We finally figured out meds that work for me last May and I can function again.

What makes you happy?
Attachments
DSC_2442 - Edited.jpg
DSC_2442 - Edited.jpg (106.11 KiB) Viewed 7949 times

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: What makes you happy?

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 am

Other peoples joy makes me happy, beyond that, my family being content, a clean house, and riding.

Now the funny thing about riding is I don't realize it makes me happy until I miss a day or two. I have ridden di consistantly for so much of my life, I guess it's like breathing. You only miss it when you can't do it.

I like being around happy people and others joy us infectious.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:37 am

Long term illnesses are stressful, I hope you have continued success managing yours

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:21 pm

I don't believe in the concept of something making me happy. I believe in being content. Of course, Miss A. is the primo thing that makes me content (well, she does make me happy). Just seeing her face washes away all bad things. My Ursala Kitteh sitting on my lap purring makes me smile.

Chantal, I hope you continue to be happy!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Chantal, I love the photo and the joy that you express!

I deal with a similar disease (AOSD) and getting a horse of my own was a huge piece of recovery for me. It took about 4 years of going from MD to MD before we even knew what was wrong with me and how to manage it.

Even this weekend when my body is struggling with stiffness and a cold, I was very happy to meet up with my barn buddy for a hack in the crisp autumn weather. We laughed that everyone else at the barn was worried about wind goblins, while we take the 19 and 16 yr old mares out for a stroll in the gusty, sunny fields.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:11 pm

It really depends on the level of need. Running and riding are outstanding for my day-to-day mental health -- I need physical exertion and the outdoors. Hiking fills that need too, but I can't just walk out of the house here and climb a mountain.

If I'm in desperate need of an immediate happy place I look for comfort: big hugs from my husband, cuddling a guinea pig, horse wuffles and hugs (both of mine will curl their bodies, head to tail, around me).

I hope you continue to find your happiness :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 pm

So many things... Where I live, and that we are surrounded by a good community of friends, even if our families are oceans away; that I can sit here in my studio at home with a painting in progress, or an interesting work project to think about, looking out across my fields at my old horses noodling around out there under blue skies; cooking for my friends and family; listening to my husband sing; and of course, a good ride.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Wow, what a great thread!

The people in my life are the number one reason I am happy. I have some really solid people in my circle right now that make my life pretty amazing.

My animals, I always have to have an animal around me. I have even snuck a beta fish into my office, which probably wasn't allowed, but I figured I would go with the "beg for forgiveness, instead of asking permission" route. It worked. I am gonna see if I can sneak a hedgehog next.

My horses, of course, that's a no-brainer.

And... wine.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:10 pm

PaulaO wrote:I don't believe in the concept of something making me happy. I believe in being content. Of course, Miss A. is the primo thing that makes me content (well, she does make me happy). Just seeing her face washes away all bad things. My Ursala Kitteh sitting on my lap purring makes me smile.

Chantal, I hope you continue to be happy!

I agree with you about being content. Being happy is the icing on the cake and such a gift. Pictures of me the past 2 years have been very sad. Even at happy occasions. 2 people now have called it joy on my face in this picture, and that brings more joy to me. It is true joy and that was missing for a time. That's what horses are to me and they have been such a struggle for a few reasons the past couple of years. My family brings me joy and seeing other people happy brings me joy. But mostly I would describe myself as content. Not many people are. Being content can be elusive but when you are grateful for what you have and where you are in life, being content is possible.

Happy is not a given. I hear so many people say "I just want to be happy" or "I just want my kids to be happy." That "just" word is an interesting word. It speaks volumes. I love smiley people, some people are naturally happy and are wonderful to be around.

I find it cool that horses after all these still make me happy. I feel like such a horse-crazy little girl at heart. 8-)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:15 pm

For some, horses are in our blood. I really thought I would be done with horses when Bob transitioned. But nope, as time went on I realized I needed horses. Horses (or a specific chestnut mare...) complete me.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Oh my - I have a long list of what makes me happy. I think I am just an "up" person to begin with - so being happy comes naturally. If I start to think of something that makes me sad I shake it off...I clear my head and think of something else. Do I now and then have a good cry - yes, it's rare, but I do it to get it out...

As for content - I think I am content with many aspects of my life. Would I rather be retired and then I could finally get another dog, Absolutely...but, I'm content with waiting another year or so. I have my horse to fill my evening hours and that makes me happy, even if we don't have a good ride. I look forward to the next ride.

I know a few people that are downers, negative, if something's wrong in their life - you know it!! They make everyone else miserable! I steer clear of them. Though, when one of them needs my up attitude she runs to me and I help her get past her bad day. She's different she seeks help to feel better while others just want to spread their miserable mood...

Crying over a diagnosis of RA is understandable - so glad you got your meds in line and your doing what makes you happy!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Article this morning reminded me of this thread:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/voi ... spartanntp

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”