Thinking about using a buyer's agent

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Thinking about using a buyer's agent

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:43 am

Anyone know usual terms or have experience?

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Re: Thinking about using a buyer's agent

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:11 pm

If you're speaking of real estate, it's a bad idea, speaking from experience.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Lol I am talking about a horse sale. Clearly I need help finding a horse.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Tsavo, the people I know who've done this work with a reputable trainer who has quality contacts (nationally and/or internationally).

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:If you're speaking of real estate, it's a bad idea, speaking from experience.

Why?

In real estate, the buyer's agent is supposed to support the buyer's best interests, not the seller's.

I've used a buyer's agent in the past and found them to be helpful when I did not have the time or inclination to deal with searching out potential properties and dealing with the seller or seller's agent (listing agent) to see the property.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm

In case I missed it - do you have a post as to what you are looking for in a horse? Price etc?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Hayburner wrote:In case I missed it - do you have a post as to what you are looking for in a horse? Price etc?

Okay I will say but I am trusting people not to run out and get horses like this!

Non-negotiable: draft cross no more than 1/2 draft, mare, non-grey, 16.2 to 17.2 HH, non-cribber/windsucker, matched fronts, history of soundness in work.

Slightly negotiable: clyde cross, 6 to 9 yo, barefoot, negative Lyme titer but presence of active infection is out, first level or better.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 am

I just saw an ad for a 1/4 Clyde x TB x Han. mare on the west coast on the Draft Cross Sport Horse Exchange on FB. She was not a horse I'd recommend to anyone- my description would be "pieces and parts", but at least people are listing what you're looking for. They seem to have lots of draft cross sporthorse prospects.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 am

Price range?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:19 am

I don't like listing a price because suddenly horses are that price who might have been less. In general, I will pay a price commensurate with training discounted for not being a WB.

ETA: Sellers will know that I know that they know that I know what a fair price is for a horse. :-)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:33 am

Have you looked at Dundalk Sport Horses, they also do draft cross, they had a clyde saddlebred x that looked dressage potential

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am

Chisamba wrote:Have you looked at Dundalk Sport Horses, they also do draft cross, they had a clyde saddlebred x that looked dressage potential

Yes I like that site. That is where that Lilly horse was. She must have gone in a matter of minutes to hours. I am shocked that horse didn't go solely by word of mouth. And she is 1/16 draft! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm

if you contact them perhaps they can help you find what you are looking for

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:30 am

Chisamba wrote:if you contact them perhaps they can help you find what you are looking for

This is what I was talking about in your other thread. Call them and let them know what you are looking for. They might know of something or have contacts.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:56 am

Yes I have been in contact. I even asked if the buyer would let Lily go which of course they will not. And who could blame them. I thought there was a chance so I asked.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:21 am

Did they say they would keep an eye out for the 1/4 Clyde you are looking for?

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:32 am

I told her what I am looking for.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:10 pm

Wasn't there someone on the old UDBB that raised draft crosses? Does anyone remember?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Chancellor, this breeder used to post on UDBB.

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/crossbreed.htm

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Remind me, are you looking for a dressage horse, or a hunt/event/all-rounder? Because a friend from college breeds very nice draft crosses in the St Louis area (Bluefield Sporthorses), and some of her babies have done well at BN/N eventing and in the hunt field. I’m still kicking myself for passing up on one of hers a few years ago, and she has another I like a lot but feel awkward asking about since I passed on the first.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:11 am

Dressage horse. Bluefield Sporthorses website isn't working.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Chancellor wrote:Wasn't there someone on the old UDBB that raised draft crosses? Does anyone remember?

Drafty Manor maybe?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:51 am

https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... erID=19007

Not much of a discount on the asking price, but here's an option.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:11 am

Ponichiwa wrote:https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=53837&UserID=19007

Not much of a discount on the asking price, but here's an option.

LOL! I had to laugh at your comment about the discount. No she certainly didn't get the discount memo! LOL.

That is the type of horse I am looking for but she looks 1/2 and 1/2. She is sporty but would be even sportier if she was 1/4 and 3/4. Fabulous ears though. Just super.

I watched both videos. A thread could be filled on what is on them. Excellent rider.

Thanks.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 pm

to answer your original question re: buyer's agent. I'm not sure it is worth it. I'm not saying it's never worth it. I think when people re importing from abroad it can be very helpful to use an agent who has contacts overseas and can help arrange shipping/vetting. I also think when people are looking for horses in a very, very high price range sometimes an agent can be useful because there are people who specialize in being plugged into high end warmblood markets.

Even though you are looking for something very specific, I don't think you will find an agent who specializes in that market and so al you would end up paying someone to do is a bunch of internet searching, which you might be better off doing yourself. Just my two cents.

As for what you're looking for...have you tried an ISO post on one of those fb groups? Those usually get tons of responses within hours, including horses that are not yet actively being listed for sale. It's how I found the pony I recently bought. After tons of looking for the right pony, I finally made an ISO of post and put it in 2 fb groups. I got tons of responses, several of them from people who said "i haven't started advertising this pony yet, but I think it fits your description.." long story short, I found the rght pony who i Probably wouldn't have found otherwise.

Some groups to try:

Dressage horses:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dressag ... =bookmarks
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408624446186942/

Draft crosses:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421846 ... ?ref=br_rs

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Blob, thanks so much for this perspective and advice. You make good points. I think I might do as well just letting all my contacts including vets and farrier know what I am looking for. If I use an agent I would want them to have connections in either eastern or western Canada or both.

I have put an ISO post on some sites. I got some responses in PMs. I didn't get more because I listed a few things as non-negotiable (mare, not grey, matched fronts, clyde cross, few year age range). My farrier chided me about only have a 2-3 year age range as being a big stumbling block in finding a horse. As I look at ads, I think he is close to right... some horses younger and many older. People don't seem to let horses 7-9 yo go.

You list two straight dressage horse sites. I wasn't going to try there but maybe it is worth a try. I posted an ISO post to the draft cross sport horse page. They have some nice horses.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Tsavo on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Someone recently posted an ISO draft cross on one of the straight dressage horse sites and got a bunch of non-draft cross responses. The ISO did say "type" so there is room there but doesn't look good if someone posted draft cross non-negotiable. I may try anyway and report back.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Tsavo wrote:Someone recently posted an ISO draft cross on one of the straight dressage horse sites and got a bunch of non-draft cross responses. The ISO did say "type" so there is room there but doesn't look good if someone posted draft cross non-negotiable. I may try anyway and report back.
I peruse those facebook sales forums once in a while. I have noticed that the responses for the ISO ads are everything and anything. People say no mares, and someone puts up a mare. People say 3rd w/changes, and someone puts up a 2nd level horse with no changes. Etc. Etc. No matter how precise the ISO ad is, sellers just ignore it and put up their horse that doesn't match what the ad is looking for. I suppose it's a way to get their horse looked at multiple times.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Yep, you definitely have to slog through the responses that are way off base, but I found several good possibilities, and eventually the horse I bought, with an ISO post. You can also "troll" other people's ISO posts. Even if they're not ISO what you are looking for, a seller may quite possibly respond wit something you will like.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”