Another Red Headed Mare

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Another Red Headed Mare

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Red headed mares seem to be the theme this year. I had NO plans to get another horse! I was looking for a horse for a friend. Any way I brought her home today. A little different from the rest of you, but more suitable for me. She is a 1/2 Welsh 1/2 Arab Sport pony, about 13 hands and 20 years old. She’s in great shape, has nice movement, and wonderful manners. She lived with a friend of a friend who is older and has waaay too many horses to take care of. She previously has been a dressage pony and a hunter pony for the granddaughter who is now 5 foot 10. I’m thrilled and planning on taking up riding again.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Another Red Headed Mare

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Your new petite redhead sounds wonderful! Photos and more updates please as you get to know each other.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Congratulations on your pint-sized red mare! Of course we want photos.
Keep calm and canter on.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:08 am

She sounds wonderful! Pictures, please, when you can.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:30 am

Congratulations! Perfect for you is perfect!!

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:46 am

Congratulations!!

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:46 am

How awesome! She sounds beautiful in every way. Hoping to see pics soon!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:12 am

Red headed mares are very fashionable, doncha know. We need pictures, please.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 am

This is wonderful news. I am excited for you and her. I too would love to see a photo and will enjoy your updates

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:39 pm

Welcome to the club! I also look forward to photos and updates!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:44 pm

She sounds adorable! Good size for me! :)

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:32 pm

Can someone give me simple instructions on how to post photos? NOT techie at all and I just recently learned how to post photos to email and texts with my iPhone so the instructions need to be very basic. I am using an iPad to read here and the phone and iPad are connected.

Peanut (her barn name) IS really really cute and loves people. She is very interested in everything! She ran around the first time the tractor went by pulling the manure spreader, but 20 minutes later she ignored it when it went right by her turnout. She nickers loudly every time I walk away from her. She’s currently in a stall with open access to a 60 x 60 turnout. I’m trying very hard to give her time to get to know her surroundings, but I really want to put on her halter and take her for a walk!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:44 pm

First you have to figure out how to make the photo small enough. I can't remember exactly what the cut off is, but I think they have to be less than 200KB? Then you use the full editor here and underneath it there are 2 tabs, "Options" and "Attachments". Click on the attachments tab, then "Add files", then find your photo and click on it twice and it'll attach. If you get an error message it's probably because the file is too big and you'll have to open it with a photo editor and make it smaller. That was the hard part for me, because I wasn't used to having to reduce the size of the files (not just the dimensions of the pic, but the actual size of the file).

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Everyone needs a redheaded mare in their life! She sounds perfect!

For the photos, you can add them as an attachment here, but they need to be smaller than what an iPhone takes.

Working with the tools you have, I'd select a photo (or photos), and email them to yourself from either the ipad or iphone. When the pop up asking whether to send at original or smaller size comes up, choose the smallest option. Save the new photos from your email into photos (press and hold on the photo until "copy," "save," and "more" pops up). Then try attaching the new, smaller images here. You may need to repeat the email/compress action a few times.

Alternatively, if you post photos on facebook that are viewable by anyone, you can link to them using url tags. To get the link to the photo you want from facebook, go to the photo, open it, press and hold on the photo until the popup appears, choose "share" (in the middle), then "copy link." The link you copy is what should be pasted between the url tags: [url]Your Link Goes Here[/url]

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:22 am

IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG (39.93 KiB) Viewed 15147 times

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 am

Um... she be downside up!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 am

This is my first attempt at posting a picture of Peanut (Rain Beaus Doux Miele). She is 1/2 Welsh pony and 1/2 Arab registered half Arab. I need to stick her but my guess is about 13 hands and 20 years old. The previous owner thought 14.1 but she is no where near that. Every time I look at her she looks smaller. I’m 5’0 and 117 lbs so hope that isn’t too large for her. I’ve always wanted a pony, but most of my other horses were given to me. The two I always rode the most were 16.3 ( a thoroughbred and a Hanoverian) and I looked rather like a Thelwell character on the warmblood with my short legs out so wide. I thought my riding days were over when I lost my old thoroughbred last Memorial Day, but Peanut has me interested in riding again. So we are now getting to know each other. Tomorrow I will groom her and take her for a walk. Also I plan to try on saddles and hope one of my 4 (ouch) dressage saddles fits her.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 am

Mmmm she’s right side up on my screen. Is she upside down to everybody else?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 am

Srhorselady wrote:Mmmm she’s right side up on my screen. Is she upside down to everybody else?

She's right side up for me! Very cute girly :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 am

Adorable, even upside down. I'd say you fit her just fine.
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:07 am

Srhorselady wrote:Mmmm she’s right side up on my screen. Is she upside down to everybody else?

Upside down on mine, but I just turned my laptop upside down to see her. Is that a cresty neck I see, or just mane?

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 am

Upside down on mine, but can still see she looks like a cutie.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:28 pm

She is very, very cute and perfect for you! And I am not biased toward half Arabian mares! (Well, I do happen to have two half Arab mares!)

This is interesting: the pic is right side up on my iPad but upside down on my MS surface.

The easiest way for me to post pics is to post them on Facebook first. Then open the pic in FB, right click on pic and select “copy image address”, open full editor in DDBB and paste the link between the two img things.

The pics come out with much better resolution using the above method rather than reducing to a very small file size and adding as an attachment thru DDBB.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:29 am

Many thanks to all of you who kindly explained how to post pictures! I will try more in the future. It sounds like the upside down factor must be due to posting from an iPad (see Demi’s post). This was a photo texted to me by the previous owner that I then emailed to myself after getting the too large error message. It was small enough after one email to cut and paste as an attachment. Unfortunately I don’t do Faceback so can’t try that.

BTW she doesn’t have a cresty neck. It’s just messy mane. Today she was very good being groomed and standing to have various saddles tried and retried. Two are actually possibles that I will have my trainer look at on her. (Passier and L and R). Then we went for a short hand walk around the property. She got a little excited seeing new things and having new horses whinnying to her, but never once put tension into the lead line. She did have fun trotting around and snorting when I turned her loose in her turnout. More hand walking and a little lunging this weekend. Oh I measured, she’s 13.2 and a 64 blanket. My smallest blanket is a 78 so a shopping we will go! My neighbor offered up an Arab bridle and girth since my smallest girth is a 28. I suspect the shopping will also have to include a bit. :D Things one doesn’t think about when acquiring a much smaller horse!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:46 pm

I went from a 16.2 Appendix built like a WB to a 15.2 petite TB. Oddly enough, the only thing that fit was my saddle. You will also need smaller saddle pads.....

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Congratulations on your pretty girl!

I tried to rotate the photo but I failed in everything I tried.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Okay here it is

IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG (54.89 KiB) Viewed 15071 times

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:49 pm

It’s funny about saddles. My newest saddle (Frank Baines Reflex) fits my 16.3 1300 lb Hanoverian AND my 15.1 1150 quarter horse. Both have flat wide backs with reasonable withers. That is NOT one of the possibilities for this girl. I now understand what people mean when they say a banana shaped back :D Nothing fit my shark finned thoroughbred who had a dropped back due to age. The best I could do for him was a very cut back saddle and a good Mattes pad with inserts.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”