Go out and vote

goldhorse
Herd Member

Go out and vote

Postby goldhorse » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:26 pm

DD managed to vote from South Sudan so you have no excuse (unless you're not a US citizen :lol: )
vote.jpg
vote.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 12408 times

LeoApp
Herd Member

Re: Go out and vote

Postby LeoApp » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Awesome. I voted this morning before work.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:36 am

I am not eligible to vote but I mailed in the ballots for my family.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:36 am

Done (at 11:15 this morning).

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Did. I strongly, personally believe that one has no place complaining if one doesn't vote (as long as one can vote :) ).

Not so much who/what but that the privilege of voting was exercised.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:35 pm

I voted early. Illinois has a new governor but the state is in such dire straits, I don't think it will make a difference.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm

PaulaO wrote:I voted early. Illinois has a new governor but the state is in such dire straits, I don't think it will make a difference.

Someone recently explained to me the situation in Illinois with the retirement pensions. I don't see how the state can ever get out from under that absent a bankruptcy.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:43 pm

I worked the polls in my precinct - 15.5 hours. Holy crap the close-out procedure took 90 meticulous check-and-double-check minutes to complete without compromising any ballots/votes. I was blind with exhaustion. Besides that, the whole experience was great, in spite of the loss of a man who should have won our district US House seat. No better person has ever run for any seat anywhere.
We DID legalize weed, end gerrymandering, and ease voting restrictions. AND we got a great (woman) governor and Secretary of State for Michigan.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:52 pm

I voted so hard!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you for your work, Tarlo!

I voted first thing before going to work when everyone was still fresh and happy, but I was thinking they had a long day ahead.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:00 pm

I voted early last week and there was a long line then, but no real wait. Same deal when my husband voted early. Our local polling stations are pretty efficient, and shepherd voters through the stations.

I hope an investigation and repercussions come out of the voter supression fiasco in GA.

It's amazing some of the things that happen around the country at the polls. At my Mom's rural TN polling place, voters are handed either red or blue ballots and sent to stand in another long line before they get to a voting station. It's even intimidating to her, a white woman, to have to stand there with her blue ballot. Voter turnout in that district is shockingly low ...

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm

"shockingly..." :evil: That's just terrible. Inexcusable. We had three people before the polls opened at 7am, and shepherded 38 people through in the first 25 minutes. Seventy-two percent turnout!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 pm

heddylamar wrote:At my Mom's rural TN polling place, voters are handed either red or blue ballots and sent to stand in another long line before they get to a voting station. It's even intimidating to her, a white woman, to have to stand there with her blue ballot. Voter turnout in that district is shockingly low ...

Don't blame the low voter turnout.

Do the ballots have the exact same thing on them? In a primary I could potentially see a different color as the ballots may be different depending on your state but general elections everyone should get the same ballot. :shock:

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:19 pm

heddylamar wrote:I voted early last week and there was a long line then, but no real wait. Same deal when my husband voted early. Our local polling stations are pretty efficient, and shepherd voters through the stations.

I hope an investigation and repercussions come out of the voter supression fiasco in GA.

It's amazing some of the things that happen around the country at the polls. At my Mom's rural TN polling place, voters are handed either red or blue ballots and sent to stand in another long line before they get to a voting station. It's even intimidating to her, a white woman, to have to stand there with her blue ballot. Voter turnout in that district is shockingly low ...

Is that random or based on party affiliation?

WMW - I assume you mean don't blame the dual lines for low turn out??

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm

It's voter supression. Ballots are based on party affiliation -- red for conservatives, blue for democrats. The one "neighbor" (several mles away) had their Phil Bresden sign shot up.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm

I vote in rural eastern TN. We don't have colored ballots, but there are very clear D and R lists and forms during the primaries. It is slightly less obvious during the general election. TN is typically among the lowest couple of states for voter participation.

I voted early, but my DH was the 5th person to vote in our rural district (usually about 250 voters). By paying attention to the paperwork, he noted that about 20% of voters seemed to be Ds and the rest Rs. That is exactly how our precinct shook out.

p.s. I would not dare to put yard signs on our property.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 pm

heddylamar wrote:It's voter supression. Ballots are based on party affiliation -- red for conservatives, blue for democrats.

I'm surprised that is legal. Someone needs to make some noise about that.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:38 am

Mom's at the opposite end of the state from you, piedmontfields, in rural west TN.

She's contacted the state board of elections (no response) and reached out to several newspapers including WaPo and NYT this year. I think she needs to push the issue more, but I'm bitchy and not afraid to piss people off. She is.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:01 am

wow so glad we vote by mail here ( free postage, no stamp needed)

you can mail in your ballot or drop it in a ballot box. Usually these are at city centers, libraries or major population hub, like a mall.

You must choose from all available candidates and fill in each voting section no party line voting, . We do not register as D or R or I.

I vote for my favorite candidate, (usually a D) but have voted for Independent and republican candidates and am happy I can.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 am

My 18 yr old DS and I went and voted early. He came down from college specifically to vote. 2 hr drive, stayed overnight and then we went and voted the next morning. Our county had a high number of early voting for them, which was seen all over middle Georgia. Governor race is still up in the air and the Kemp debacle of overseeing an election with which he was participating was just rich. I hope a run off can be forced and I hope Stacey ends up our governor, Kemp has taken just too much from the Trump play book and his politics stink.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 am

khall wrote:Kemp debacle of overseeing an election with which he was participating was just rich. I hope a run off can be forced and I hope Stacey ends up our governor, Kemp has taken just too much from the Trump play book and his politics stink.

So true. We're watching this one from the other side of the country. Fingers are crossed for you!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”