Winter is here....

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Winter is here....

Postby Tuddy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:25 pm

I live in a cold climate, I should be used to this...

But it is -9F (-23C) outside right now, -25F (-32C) with the wind chill factor.

That's a nope from me winter, a great.big.nope.

Stay warm!!!!

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Winter is here....

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:11 pm

I'm just not up for going out to feed in icy cold darkness yet.

It's been well below freezing every day this week, and is going to get worse over the weekend. And we have no snow on the ground yet and none in sight. What we who rely on skiers for a living call a "severe clear!"

At least the snow guns are blasting 24/7, so there will be enough white stuff for visitors to play on soon.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 pm

One if my ewes had her lamb, lamb nursing all ok, this morning she had escaped her pen and was with the herd no sign of lamb, my son and I searched for 2 hours in the FREEZING cold. I finally decided if a predator didn't have it, it died of cold. I am so upset.

I dislike cold. I'm beginning to look forward to moving to Texas.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

I’m so sorry Chisamba :(

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Chisamba wrote:One if my ewes had her lamb, lamb nursing all ok, this morning she had escaped her pen and was with the herd no sign of lamb, my son and I searched for 2 hours in the FREEZING cold. I finally decided if a predator didn't have it, it died of cold. I am so upset.

That sounds very distressing, so sorry you lost your little lamb.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Oh, very sad that baby started out ok but met with trouble...

Keep us posted on details of your move down here, if possible!

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Chisamba wrote:.

We did move from Kentucky to Texas back in the early 1980s after the repeated minus 20F degree winters of the late 70s (and 60 inches of snow that didn't melt until May)

We are supposed to maybe have our first freeze this coming Monday then its back into the 60s/70s

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:18 pm

Chisamba wrote:One if my ewes had her lamb, lamb nursing all ok, this morning she had escaped her pen and was with the herd no sign of lamb, my son and I searched for 2 hours in the FREEZING cold. I finally decided if a predator didn't have it, it died of cold. I am so upset.

I am so sorry to hear this!

We have cattle too, and we usually end up having a cow that caught late calve right when it gets stupid cold like this. My basement has had numerous calves lying on the concrete in front of a space heater numerous times.

Sorry again Chisamba, about your lamb.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 am

Tuddy wrote:

I am so sorry to hear this!

We have cattle too, and we usually end up having a cow that caught late calve right when it gets stupid cold like this. My basement has had numerous calves lying on the concrete in front of a space heater numerous times.

Sorry again Chisamba, about your lamb.

Yes, i have had the basement with lambs too, but this one seemed just fine, warm, nursing, and her mom, Milkshake is usually a good mom. :cry:

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Chi, I’m so sorry about your lamb. Lambs are so precious.

I put on Ariel’s medium blanket last night and the farrier pulled her shoes. There was snow on the ground yesterday and while is sunny, the high isn’t going to get above 30. Unfortunately the cold hit before the pasture trough heaters were turned on so they froze. The guys are working to get them thawed.

I hate to say this, but I’d rather have cold than heat. I am miserable during the summer, sleeping with an ice pack in front of the air conditioner.

I want to put up my Christmas decorations.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 pm

I am doing my apartment shift. closing doors in the day to not allow heat loss via unneeded rooms. Finding the right thermostat setting to not over heat and run the bill up.

Just put the second layer on the bed. I does not get THAT cold here but upper 30s at night in an 80s era apartment , you need to regulate that heat

Tuddy as beautiful as your home on the range may be, I would consider the sunshine coast north of Vancouver for retirement.

bravo electric mattress pads

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:21 pm

I can't even guess what that kind of cold would be like!

So sorry about your lamb, Chisamba :(

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Wow, too cold for me, especially when it's just into November! I can deal with winter here, but it doesn't get down below 0F that much, and we don't get tons of snow. So far just in the 20's at night and Miss No-Hair Annabelle is still happy in her 100gram turnout, while Tesla will remain au naturale a while longer unless we finally get some rain. Today is just all about wind.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:22 am

OK, you Canadiennes are seriously hardy!

We had highs in the 40s F today, which is quite cold for this time of year. There is even a chance of some snows (plural, because one can often count the snow flakes in the south) next week!

I am trying hard to be cheerful. While also considering a move to Chicagoland ?!???? Dual-career households are not easy :shock:

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:27 pm

It's "winter" here this morning as well. The snowfall is about to stop, but it's kinda pretty out with a layer of wet snow on everything. Our pupper saw her first snowfall this morning - this is her 2nd winter, but last year the only dusting we got happened overnight, and she only saw it after it was on the ground. So, when she got out this morning, she was running around catching the big snowflakes, having a ball! Too cute!! :)

The temp is 33F with a 22F windchill, so not really that cold. I just hope the snow stays till evening so we can have one "snowy light" night! :P
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Chisamba - Sorry to hear about your lamb

Snowhorse - yes, the first white dusting on the trees is beautiful here - but, after that I'm done with snow!

I'd prefer to live somewhere in the low to mid 80's - that would be perfect for me - and NO Humidity!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 am

Our winter was predicted to be above average precip, well we are still in the fall which is supposed to be the drier of the seasons. Yeah not so much. We are cold and wet here. Just nasty soggy yucky weather.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm over it and it has been a week. A WEEK :(
it was 5F sat. its not even thanksgiving.

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 am

Ryeissa wrote:I'm over it and it has been a week. A WEEK :(
it was 5F sat. its not even thanksgiving.

even in north Texas we are averaging 20 degrees BELOW normal at night... supposed to be in mid 20s tonight
daytime highs have been a least 35 degrees below normal

but all is well, barn is insulated (for summer heat) but actually pulled out the Baker Blankets for the older horses tonight

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Back to 30F today, and temperature is supposed to plummet again tonight. It was melting yesterday and the sun was out and it was nice and warm. I did night chores last night in just a pair of muck boots and a hoody. Tomorrow will be full Carhartt gear again.

Mother Nature needs to smarten up.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Weird weather here--back up to 50 for a high supposedly today. But frigid at night and daytime highs way down again over the weekend.

Ski resorts open next Wednesday--it's been cold enough that the snow guns have been going round the clock for the past couple of weeks. You couldn't pay me enough to ski over the holidays on artificial snow, hardly any runs open and crowds of out-of-shape out-of-towners--my ski patroller friends are already cringing at the prospect of the carnage.

Real, fall out of the sky, snow not due until after Thanksgiving. I'm going to buy myself some decent snow shoes this winter and enjoy it when it comes!

It's the annual gamble about when to put snow tires on :) Don't want them on too early as they wear really badly on dry roads, but can't wait too long or I'll get in trouble. I daren't even look at what Blizzaks are going to cost for my truck, which is now my primary winter transport--my little electric leaf is not a winter car! Must go get some ballast for the truck bed, and a set of chains for it, too.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
Real, fall out of the sky, snow not due until after Thanksgiving. I'm going to buy myself some decent snow shoes this winter and enjoy it when it comes!

I started with snowshoes last winter, but then switched to X country skis, which are way more fun. We're flat though, so not as much danger of a wild ride down a hill.

It's the annual gamble about when to put snow tires on :)

My dilemma is winter shoes. I want to leave them barefoot as long as I can, but don't want to miss out on any riding because the shoes aren't on, yet. We have 4-8" forecast for tonight, but then enough above freezing temps next week that it may not last. What to do what to do....

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Weather wise it’s the best time of the year here (Arizona). Highs in the 70’s and lows in the 40’s. It’s gorgeous out! Sunny with a slight breeze! Of course we pay for it in the summer :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 pm

The lower elevation SW is so beautiful this time of year! Hope you are having lots of good rides, SrHL.

When riding in the arena last night (carefully, as even this very nice footing was quite soggy after days of rain), there were actual snows falling on us. Not like accumulating snow---just individual flakes. Still a bit much here in the mid-south for this time of year.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”