Chess Pie

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Chess Pie

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:32 am

I'd never heard of chess pie before Rockabilly mentioned it in the Thanksgiving food post. So I went and looked it up.

I made my first one tonight--pineapple and coconut. It is pretty good. Basically a pie crust with fudge in it :)

I cut the amount of sugar in the recipe in half though as I'd like to sleep sometime in the next few days.

Thank you for adding a new thing to my repertoire!

AmityBee
Herd Member

Re: Chess Pie

Postby AmityBee » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:18 am

I googled it. Not what I was expecting :D

I expected a Battenberg design or something similar... because, you know, chess... :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:31 pm

I've heard of them, but never actually had one. Very southern, as far as I know, and haven't made it out west yet.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Mountaineer it was not Rockabilly but me that mentioned chess pie. It is very much a southern desert that I have eaten since my childhood. I used the recipe that my mother handed down to me which includes vinegar and lots of sugar with a few eggs. I have never seen one in the south that included anything else. Very very sweet.

This is pretty much the recipe that I've used over the years:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9090/chess-pie/ minus the evaporated milk and cornmeal.

I also have the recipe for iron skillet chocolate pie and pecan pie from my mom. Kind of funny considering she was never much for cooking.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:11 am

Moutaineer wrote:

I cut the amount of sugar in the recipe in half though as I'd like to sleep sometime in the next few days.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I'd never heard of chess pie before Rockabilly mentioned it in the Thanksgiving food post. So I went and looked it up.

I made my first one tonight--pineapple and coconut. It is pretty good. Basically a pie crust with fudge in it :)

Thank you for adding a new thing to my repertoire!

Well, it coulda been me :lol:, but it wasn't. Chess Pie is a very southern thing and I've never liked it. I could never understand why it didn't have a particular flavor except excessively sweet.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Rockabilly LOL! That's because it IS a southern thing! Sweet is what it is all about. Remember we are the land of sweet tea:)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:45 pm

:)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”