Do you to the barn when you don't feel well?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Do you to the barn when you don't feel well?

Postby PaulaO » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm looking for permission to not see Miss A. tonight. All week my stomach has hurt and my digestion has been wonky. I'm feeling better today. Saw my PCP and had a gallbladder ultrasound. I certainly can't ride tonight because I don't trust my stomach (diarrhea). I could go visit and give carrots but I don't even feel like doing that. Someone tell me she will live.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Re: Do you to the barn when you don't feel well?

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:52 pm

She will be fine! She is at a (presumably) great boarding barn, and they will look after her and let you know if there is a problem. Take the evening off!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Stay home. Miss A will live.

As far as going to the barn while ill, it depends. Wonky stomach, no. Migraine, no. Kidney infection/UTI, 50/50 depending on severity. Generally off from allergies/cold/sinus headache, yes.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:33 pm

By all means take the day off! You'll feel energized after a good rest, and you'll be doubly as happy to see Miss A! :)
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Yes she will be fine. But yes, I do go to the barn when I don't feel well, because I always feel better when I am there. I don't think I would go if I were feeling as bad as you are though.
I always say if I could bottle the good feelings I get at the barn and sell them, I'd be rich!

blob

Postby blob » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:28 pm

heddylamar wrote:Stay home. Miss A will live.

As far as going to the barn while ill, it depends. Wonky stomach, no. Migraine, no. Kidney infection/UTI, 50/50 depending on severity. Generally off from allergies/cold/sinus headache, yes.

Yes, this. Stomach and migraines are big no's for me. I don't want to be stuck at the barn or in the car if I might need a bathroom quickly.

My horses fend for themselves a lot, that's the best part about boarding! Someone will feed them, turn them out/bring them, and someone will call if anything seems unusual. Gives me peace of mind when I'm sick, working, traveling. And I'm pretty sure my horses don't mind the days off!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:05 am

Stay home, Miss A will be fine.

Since I feed, clean, turn in turn out etc, i go unless I am dead, and since i have not been dead yet, i go. I did skip the night i had my appendix out, so i am joking about death or barn

khall

Postby khall » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:36 am

Pretty much yeah, I go. I am sole caretaker of the horses and other animals on the farm here and have lost my main barn help this summer. I've been known to be puking sick and still head to the barn or running a fever and be out building stalls etc. When I was a WS at a dressage barn I got so sick with strep the college clinic threatened to hospitalize me. The only reason she did not was because I stayed in the clinic for the day drinking water and eating chicken noodle soup to rehydrate. I still went back to the farm and fed up that evening. Now I won't ride being that sick, not worth it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:36 pm

no way. For one, it's not helping anyone, she will be fine. Also, second I hate when people come out sick and get everyone else sick.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Well, I'm sure she was fine and no guilt trip intended but like khall I'm the sole caretaker for the most part. My SO does help; but, that just means I don't have to do quite as much. I still 'have to go'. Of course my best ride so far in my life was when I was puking my guts out after contracting food poisoning. I won the first level championship.......don't recommend it as a relaxation tactic but I was so dehydrated I could not even begin to tense up. My dear Monty was so relaxed I just let him do the test. I was happy to survive and later too sick and exhausted to celebrate when I learned we had won.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:15 pm

I board currently and have a fantastic barn owner and great stand-ins when she’s out of commission (rarely), but horses at home is a totally different situation.

We’re building a farm, and my husband is not a horse person. I will be doing all of the barn chores. He can’t be trusted to feed and water his guinea pigs without oversight :shock: :roll:

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Chisamba wrote:i go unless I am dead, and since i have not been dead yet, i go

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this.

FWIW, I wouldn't go if I was feeling sub-par, unless I felt like going would make me feel better (sometimes, horse cuddles are the remedy).

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:11 pm

When they were outside in my own barn, I was out there no matter what because it was just me. Now I board, and if I'm sick, I stay home. I get to missing my pony after more than a day or two, but the point of boarding (for me) is you don't have to be there every day.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:44 am

When I had my horses in my care, I went regardless.

Now, I might show up once a month with money in hand. I just feel like crap 99% of the time and have no energy for most of life.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”