Riding After a Hysterectomy

Kamama
Greenie

Riding After a Hysterectomy

Postby Kamama » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:40 pm

For those of you ladies who had hysterectomies, how long did it take you to be comfortable riding once the doctor gave the ok?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: Riding After a Hysterectomy

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Can't answer your specific question as I wasn't riding at the time I had mine but wanted to give a cautionary comment to follow your Dr's recovery guidelines meticulously regardless of how good you might feel. It might end up causing problems later on down the road that you might regret. :)

It will, in part, depend on how your hysterectomy is done (vaginal vs laparoscopy) how soon you recover and how you feel.

Angfreda
Herd Member

Postby Angfreda » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Different, depending on how they did your hysterectomy, but I was back on the horse 6 weeks after my C-section without a hitch.
6 weeks was the time frame my OB/Gyn gave me to get back on.
No pain, no issues, but then I didn't go crazy either.

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Mine was 10 years ago, so the details are fuzzy - but I believe it was 8 weeks or so before I could even think about riding. You must wait until your internal stitches completely heal, otherwise you risk them ripping (bad bad bad). I stuck with a walk for quite some time.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:38 am

Definitely follow doctors' orders. You don't want internal things going where they aren't supposed to be.

I had a vaginal hyst. I waited 8 weeks. At my 6 week visit, there was still some healing to be done. MD said to wait 2 more weeks. I did then got on and never looked back. I was able to do lunging and ground work at about the 4 week mark which help horsey be nice and cooperative by the time I got back in the saddle.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Kamama
Greenie

Postby Kamama » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:03 pm

I had my surgery on 11/9. It was a lap (DaVinci) and was a complete hyst. I figure I should be released to ride by March, hopefully, if all heals according to plan. I was curious as to if anyone was very uncomfortable for the first few rides.

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:01 am

Kamama wrote:I had my surgery on 11/9. It was a lap (DaVinci) and was a complete hyst. I figure I should be released to ride by March, hopefully, if all heals according to plan. I was curious as to if anyone was very uncomfortable for the first few rides.

Yes, uncomfortable...but it was more of the way things had settled in my abdomen, if that makes sense. My core strength was gone, my balance was off - but my back never felt better lol!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”