Ready to call it a career...

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Ready to call it a career...

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:22 am

I just can't seem to trust my body anymore. I have the opposite problem of most people that have trouble having a sound horse.

I have seemed to spend more time in the operating room in the last 6 years than in the arena and it looks like there is one more in line soon :P .

I had my back surgery in July. That went fairly well. I am not totally symptom free but mostly and if the sciatica kicks up it is controllable between OTC pain meds and judicious exercise. The surgeon wanted me walking 2-3 miles a day post op and I dutifully did that. In the process, I have apparently finished trashing my left foot that has had chronic peroneal tendonitis. Over the last couple months, I have had a horrible time navigating the uneven ground/footing at the barn. I even resorted to wearing the cam boot to the barn to secure the foot (taking it off to ride) and ended up with it hurting even worse (no, it wasn't the riding). So, I finally got an appointment with the foot ortho (a different one than did the surgery on my right foot...he retired). Thinking he would tell me to keep up with the boot or maybe an injection, he feels none of that will last due to the conformation of my foot and it needs the same reconstruction the other one had. I was NOT ready to hear that at all. I suppose I should have a clue in that it has been a persistent more on than off problem for the last 3 years. I currently have a brace on it that is helping but I can't get the brace on in any of my barn boots and for sure not my tall boots. He said the brace would be for life. Poop...He gave me some time to think about it...I don't go back until late February. If I have the surgery it will be 3 months with half that non weight bearing. If it is like my other foot, the swelling will preclude getting any of my boots on for another month or so. I am thinking of getting a second opinion and even trying PRP but I think that would be temporary and I probably should save the $$$. Oh yeah, I was planning on retiring in June so if I decide on surgery, I need to get it taken care of before I retire if possible while I have employer provided insurance.

I board and am having trouble justifying the $$ every month when I can't use her. I know she doesn't care if she is ridden or not but standing in a dry lot is pretty boring for a horse that isn't used. I haven't ridden much at all in over 3 years now. I was happily doing ground work and liberty work with her but the foot makes that very painful. Riding is iffy still due to the tailbone pain (will be 2 years in April since surgery) so that leaves grooming her and petting her on the nose. I wouldn't mind spending the $$ if I could ride like I would like to ride and if I had my own property there would be no question of keeping her but I genuinely think she likes to be used and ridden. She has always been on dry lot and being of Iberian persuasion and very reluctant to just kick her out in a pasture some where.

So... :P :evil: . I don't want to rehome her but I just don't see that I will be able to do much meaningful (to me I guess) with her in the foreseeable future. If I can get back to a point that I can actually ride for more than 20 minutes once or twice a week, I am sure I could certainly come up with some kind of lease situation. I think at my age, if I sell her, I will be done with horse ownership. It has been a good ride ;) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Ready to call it a career...

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:49 am

Oh what a complicated situation. Take your time considering your options and desires. Ger your four fixed seems a priority !!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this, but agree, getting your foot fixed is important.

Could you lease your mare, even half lease her while you're recovering? It'll give her something to do and help with her costs.I know it's not ideal, but gives you time to decide what's best.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:13 pm

If you get the surgery now, you will be pretty much healed by the time spring riding comes around. Try to half or full lease her - if all goes well with the surgery you'll be kicking yourself if you sell her. Won't you be lonely for a horse and all the joy it brings if you get out of it?

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm guessing you're not even 65 yet, right? There are A LOT of years left in you. And your horse. Funny, I'm sure my situation with three and a half horses, only one of which is ridden fewer than probably 60 times a year, would seem untenable to those who ride often, year-round. But it's fine for me and mine. I think I'll have a horse or a pony until the day I die. Eventually I'll sell the farm and board when I get down to only one.
Lease your critter or supervise some horse-crazy-kid on her, get your foot fixes, get swimming as soon as you can for therapy, and carry on!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 pm

That sounds very tough. I wonder if leasing her for a while will give you time to get your foot fixed and the opportunity to see how you would feel without her?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”