Godspeed Indiana Jones (4 legged, not 2 legged) aka Indy

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Godspeed Indiana Jones (4 legged, not 2 legged) aka Indy

Postby khall » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 am

We lost one of the good ones today. Though Indy was not mine technically, I cared for him for many years and put many a riding mile on him off and on over the years. We found Indy for a student at that time of mine who needed a tall horse with a good mind (he was 17 hh ASBx). He was 4, somewhat broken in, terrible horrible ground manners, homely with a cut off tail hair, yet riding him when we tried him out showed how talented and how much try he had. He never disappointed us over the years. While it took a bit of time for his rider and him to come together, Indy taught her so much about riding a sensitive horse that you could not muscle around and he blossomed into a gorgeous tall lovely moving horse. We developed him to about 3rd level when his rider decided to get out of the trotting horses and went TWH. I rode him for a little longer until her family and DH and I all ended up buying and putting together our own farms. Her mother and my good friend died during this time from breast cancer and his owner ended up just turning him out at their new farm. I would borrow him off and on, to ride or to play babysitter for one of my foals or be Rip's play buddy in the field. He spent as much time at my farm as hers for several years. Then a good friend of mine and student of Mark's was in dire need of a safe school master horse. Indy was in his early 20's by this time but still sound with good training for her to learn from. Indy was a perfect fit for B for 3 yrs until he started having soundness issues from ringbone. Indy saved B's riding career by allowing her to feel what a safe trustworthy trained horse was like to ride. By now Indy was mid 20's but happy to be a pasture puff and sometimes pony horse for B's niece. Until this time last year he was injured somehow in the field a hind leg/hip. Was not able to do any diagnostics because he was so unstable so it was stall rest and see how he would do. He did well on stall rest and pulled through having a great summer sound and looking good. This winter B was struggling to keep weight on him and his hind end lameness returned, not as bad as initially but vet told her it was time to start thinking about making the call. Well Indy got down day before yesterday and struggled to get up injuring that hip again badly. B came back from vacation in FL and had to make the decision to put him down today. I had hoped to get down to visit Indy before B had to make the call, but unfortunately could not get down there. It was a gorgeous December day for his owner and B to say goodbye to the old man. What a special horse that 3 of us loved and appreciated him over the years.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Re: Godspeed Indiana Jones (4 legged, not 2 legged) aka Indy

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:14 am

I'm sorry for your loss khall :(

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm sorry!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you for sharing the life and times of Indy. So sorry for the loss of this talented and safe good old boy. Like my old boy, they are one in a million and will remain in our hearts forever.....

Hugs

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Khall, I'm very sorry for your loss.

aregard
Greenie

Postby aregard » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:13 pm

That's a lovely story about a sad, sad loss. The day that nobody wants always comes eventually.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Godspeed, Indy. So sorry for your and B's loss.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:24 am

Condolences to you and all who loved this sweet horse.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm so sorry. It sounds like he was a lovely, special guy.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”