Jingles needed for Rip and Gaila

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Jingles needed for Rip and Gaila

Postby khall » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Christmas Eve Rip was NQR, had the vet out and bloodwork was off. WBC down, liver enzymes slightly elevated. He ended up breaking with a fever later that day. Then Gaila was NQR that afternoon and she ended up with a fever as well. Vet started Rip on antibiotics but when Gaila broke with a fever was on the fence about putting Gaila on them thinking it is viral. Christamas day both were having up and down fevers, as high as 103 so both are on banamine since their fevers started pretty much at every 8 hours, started Gaila on antibiotics Christmas. Poor horses are getting IV injections several times a day (banamine and gentocin) plus on mets which they hate and Gaila have to start her on GG with her ulcer issues and being on NSAIDS. Sigh I have had to deal with similar febrile horses but never 2 at one time. This morning Gaila's fever was 104.4 even though only 6 hours into banamine injection at 1:30 am. Little sleep, cold hosing in 40 deg weather and just worried.

Also please jingle that no one else breaks with this! Gallie is 23 and has foundered before, she does not need to deal with something like this.

exvet

Re: Jingles needed for Rip and Gaila

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Jingles for a speedy, uneventful recovery. Had this happen a couple times (years and years apart) at my place.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Jingles like mad for speedy recoveries. I’m sorry you are going through this. Very worrying.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Jingles! Any idea what it might be?
Keep calm and canter on.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Jingles!!!!!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Major jingles!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Jingle, jingle, jingle

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Jingles!!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:47 pm

SF no idea as of yet. Sending off nasal swabs and manure to check for different illnesses. Adding in a 3rd antibiotic since both horses are showing very low WBC counts. Rip has been stable with his temp today but poor Gaila is getting hit hard. I found her at 10 pm last night in the field just shaking like a leaf, though temp was normal. Brought her in and put a heavy blanket on trying to get her to eat and drink warm water. Not interested. Checked on her again at 1:30 when her 8 hour banamine window ran out to find her running a high fever again of over 103 (Rip at 10 was 103 got more banamine) checked on them both again at 7 am and Rip still normal, Gaila 104.4 so cold hosed her. The ban amine is not holding her for 8 hours. Just checked her again at 2:30 pm and temp 103.4 so more ban amine and cold hosing with a breezy day. Just waiting for the vet now to help give the new antibiotic. Excede which is thick and painful. Poor ponies.

Of course I had just paid the vet off and now between annual vaccines and coggins and them being sick, yikes.

Definitely not getting anyone worked for awhile.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Jingles Khall. Animals are tough, and it sounds like you're all over this. DDBB mojo for Rip and Gaila.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Your poor, poor horses. This is horrible. I hope you and your vet figure out what the heck is going on and fix it soon. Reminds me of when I was like 17 and my beloved youngster TB got influenza from some parade horses. Literally, between when I fed him that morning and when I checked him that afternoon, he went from bucking and playing to two swollen knees, head hanging to the ground etc. I was so scared I was going to loose my boy. back then we didn't even have Banamine yet. Oh, and it was the 4th of July so very hot, dusty day. After the vet came, I hosed him down again and slowly walked him to a nearby ice cold creek and stayed there until dark. Seems like just yesterday. Btw, he recovered fully and never had a sick day the next 10 years I owned him. Go figure.

(((((((khall))))))))

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 pm

Lots of jingles !!!!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Oh no! Sending Rip and Gaila lots of jingles!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:56 am

Fingers crossed and lots of jingles for your herd, khall. :shock:

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:52 am

Good luck. Thinking of you.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:03 am

sending healing vibes their way.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:37 am

Update on Rip and Gaila and a bit of a puzzle. All 4 of my horses on 12-21 were vaccinated with rhinomune and flu avert IN (have used both of these vaccines regularly over the years with no issues in my horses). On 12-24 48 hours later is when Rip and Gaila started with the NQR and then fever. My vet reached out to vaccine company and their vet re their issues and on 12-26 sent off nasal swabs. Gaila came back positive for EHV4, Rip was negative for everything. So the consensus is that Rip and Gaila had an atypical response to the rhinomune vaccine which means the company will be helping with the vet bills.

Both horses now are afebrile, Rip for over 48 hours and Gaila for over 24 hours. Rip seems to be recovering pretty well now, with his appetite returning thank goodness. Gaila is lagging behind and had really not been interested in her feed or much of any feed and her hay, even the yummy alfalfa hay I went and bought yesterday. Now she is used to eating alfalfa in smaller amounts, around 4 lbs of alfalfa lox daily. I've tried all that I have to offer here, even the Triple Crown Sr I have, she will eat a bit but not her usual hoover self. Finally tonight I put some bermuda in a hay net and she was eating pretty steadily when I left the barn.

My vet pulled another CBC today and both are now normal WBC so she has pulled them off all antibiotics but I am to monitor them closely of course. Gaila still on GG with her history of gastric ulcers and having so much banamine in a 2 day period. Rip was on preventative dose, but seems fine now especially eating the alfalfa.

I have had vaccine reactions before (not these 2), but never this far out from the vaccine nor with such persistence and resistance to NSAIDs. I am grateful for the help with the vet bills, whew they were racking up fast. I have to say I do not think I will vaccinate using rhinomune again, at least not these 2. Once bitten twice shy.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:42 am

Glad everyone is recovering and you're getting help with the expense. I had a mare that had a strong reaction to the rhino vaccine, fever/extreme muscle soreness, I just quite giving it to her. Our herd was 98% "closed", so in general, it was an easy call. She was a broodmare, though. . .

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:07 am

Glad both are getting better, and you have some idea why it happened. Plus help with vet bills!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:40 am

I'm glad you have an answer and that everyone is starting to feel better. That must have been very stressful.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:34 pm

How horrible. Glad things are improving and that you are getting help financially! Reminded me of this FB post I saw awhile back. So scary that these reactions can happen after decades of no problems at all. Just FYI in case it gives you any related info. https://www.facebook.com/hassingerfarm/ ... 50?__xts__[0]=68.ARA8qLoZQEBx1TpBh4rzwTWXuyNfEEcC6cZ-j3DFi6i1o2mMa9PqDyntgeH_wSUVoN7nXf8I89wzcXZzPw5l0hrfldLchc-kNZaYMbLj5hA0aai1ilZhFZN-iUYPJQpaknT3QefbmCExZMbT3wtsR2O3EAbdkwvJTIoPXtH_PkEjxg8SaPoLm5RrWR5j5TAuxauno5cqIYp01MSXOI7r4F2FulesVPMOJmZhil9sLYr5IFOqF9VGYZ4hwslc_LkPAbYuGsi3NXpSXCGZrgjHYvfqeqeXE7htVEg5ytl0kH_YLz9tcwrHhPmDAb2Now4CEpJNJTU4Gg2RqJcuNyZl&__tn__=C-R

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:23 pm

I missed this update before. Glad you got to the bottom of it, and they are on the mend. Also glad the company is paying the vet bills; the stress this caused is bad enough.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”