Need YOUR Ideas for Vacation

Artemis
Greenie

Need YOUR Ideas for Vacation

Postby Artemis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:05 am

Next year I'm turning 50. A friend (who will also be 50) and I have been talking about going on vacation together to celebrate.

We are both into horseback riding. She's a god of fitness and riding - while I am done after, say, a 2 hour ride. So let's rule out 8 hours of jumping over hedgerows- for my sake. ;)

We both enjoy the outdoors. We like warm. We're on the west coast but are willing to fly somewhere. A relatively inexpensive ticket is better - somewhere in US or possibly Mexico. 4 or so days. We are very early in the planning stages.

Yoga? Riding? Hiking?

Have you been somewhere that was magical? I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Woost2
Herd Member

Re: Need YOUR Ideas for Vacation

Postby Woost2 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:22 am

Have you picked a time of year?

Artemis
Greenie

Postby Artemis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:24 am

I forgot that part! Yes - it's not carved in stone - but we were thinking September.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:49 pm

I went 'fox hunting' in Montana last year. It was really coyote hunting, I think, and there were no jumps. It was just a long, active trail ride with 40 other people, over gorgeous country (I went to their closing meet which was big. I don't know when they hold their season opener, you might need to shift to October, but other outings would be smaller). We went out for about 3 hours, but it sounds like you would have time to 'leg up' a bit if you like*. The hunt has horses to let, under western tack. You must bring your own english tack if that is your preference.

Then, before or after, you can do Yellowstone Park from the north edge. http://www.montanahorses.com Big Sky Hounds.

*Just have to say that the act of legging up, which I CERTAINLY had to do before my hunts, elongated the pleasure of the event for me. Rather than the vacation just being a week or two, the work contributed several months of anticipation to the event itself. Worth it to me!

Artemis
Greenie

Postby Artemis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:36 pm

I do like the idea of visiting Montana. I've never been there. Looks stunning. Thanks - boots-aregard!

I'd most definitely need to leg up. I had frozen shoulder a year ago. I really took a hit, fitness-wise. I'm still recovering. I am increasing my workouts even now as we speak. Slowly improving. Luckily I have a year yet!

I'd thought about Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, or back where I went to high school - in South East Georgia. Exploring Cumberland Island, etc. It's funny how you can live somewhere and never visit some of the major sights.

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:37 am

Last edited by gee on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:40 am

You definitely should visit Montana, it's gorgeous. glacier national park has nice guided trail rides.

shubadi
Greenie

Postby shubadi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:33 pm

I cannot rave enough about my "bucket list" trip a few months ago. I think I saw that you are in the PNW so this may be within driving distance for you as it was for me. It's the Willamette Coast Ride and it runs out of the Newberg (wine country) area in Oregon. You can read reviews and write-ups on the various equestrian vacation websites but they also have their own website and you can book directly with them. If you can get access, COTH's Untacked magazine did a fabulous article on these folks in September.

Like I said, it was a "bucket list" trip for me in that I have always dreamed of pony-trekking in Ireland but it looks like that might never happen. The folks who run WCR have family ties to Connemara and magically they have landed here in Oregon. The accommodations were stellar, the food to die for, the wine... well, helps with aches and pains! Not for beginners--LOTS of cantering and probably 5 to 6 hours in the saddle over all sorts of terrain, including beautiful Oregon beaches.

I met amazing, lovely people and I will treasure the memories forever.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm

I went to Castle Leslie in Ireland twice in the 1980s. I doubt the same people are running it and I am considering going next year. It has different packages and I'm looking at the weenie rider (aka Getting Your Confidence Back) package. The reviews are outstanding http://www.castleleslie.com/equestrian-welcome.html

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:26 pm

I know you said warm, and it shouldn't be too chilly in September, so maybe think about Banff, Alberta. Not terribly far, but still across the border and simply gorgeous.

Artemis
Greenie

Postby Artemis » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:49 pm

Great ideas, everyone!

I love the idea of the Weenie Ride, PaulaO. :) That is more my speed!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”