Another exciting New Year’s Eve

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Another exciting New Year’s Eve

Postby PaulaO » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:09 pm

I have the day off work. It’s 36 and raining. The horses are in and nobody was at the barn while I was there. For safety reasons, I don’t ride alone, so I did some groundwork with Miss A. and gave her carrots. Stopped at the store and found wild caught Gulf shrimp from the USA. Dinner is Creole shrimp and steamed artichokes. I am binge watching Midsomer Murders (series 3,episode 1 has many hunt scenes with accurate tack!). I will be in bed by 10pm. Tomorrow a group is going out for a celebratory lunch since it’s my friend’s birthday. It’s 2pm. Too early to get in my jammies?

KathyK

Re: Another exciting New Year’s Eve

Postby KathyK » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:26 pm

PaulaO wrote:I have the day off work. It’s 36 and raining. The horses are in and nobody was at the barn while I was there. For safety reasons, I don’t ride alone, so I did some groundwork with Miss A. and gave her carrots. Stopped at the store and found wild caught Gulf shrimp from the USA. Dinner is Creole shrimp and steamed artichokes. I am binge watching Midsomer Murders (series 3,episode 1 has many hunt scenes with accurate tack!). I will be in bed by 10pm. Tomorrow a group is going out for a celebratory lunch since it’s my friend’s birthday. It’s 2pm. Too early to get in my jammies?

Absolutely not. :lol: Your evening plans sound much like mine, except my binge watching is series 4 of "Shetland." Happy New Year to all!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:42 pm

Since my little town just got high speed internet (yup, it took that long), we are binge watching everything. Anyone watching Ozark? That's what we will be doing.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:45 pm

PaulaO. I would have spent my evening the same way, but I was invited to a friends for dinner so I'm going out.

It's not too early to put your Jammie's on!

I was planning on staying in, watching movies and having shrimp too.

Our weather is about the same here, very dreary and cold.

Smart of you not to ride alone, you just never know.

Happy New Year!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 pm

We have kids and baby grand-daughter staying, so no going out for us--and anyway, we never do on NYE. It's never a success and I'd rather not be out on the roads/

Everyone but me is out skiing or in daycare--they know better than to leave me in charge of a small child. I'm having a quiet, happy day at home making curries in the Instant Pot :) Neighbors are coming in for dinner, I suspect everyone will be tucked up in bed by 10.30!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:46 pm

We are at the end of our first significant snowstorm, a mere 4" do far. We invited two couples over for dinner, but one couple backed out. Friends are bringing some appetizers and wine. DH will grill some steaks with sides of mushrooms and sauteed onions. I'll roast some asparagus, and I'm making Hasselback potatoes for the first time. I made a grasshopper ice cream pie yesterday. Mimosas and/or plain ole champagne at as close to midnight as we old folks can get! Friends will probably spend the night here.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm making a dal for dinner tonight, plus a bit more prep/house cleaning for the great invasion tomorrow -- we host hubby's family once a year for dinner. They're all local ... but the headcount is up to 16 now :shock: And 4 of the neiblings aren't partnered up yet!

Hubby claims we're staying up til midnight. What will really happen is I'll be falling asleep on the couch by 23:30, and he'll be ticked when I'm go to bed before midnight. It happens every year, without fail! I just roll my eyes at him because tomorrow morning he'll be a real bear without 10 hours of beauty sleep.

I rode this morning to beat the rain, because, of course, it's raining again in MD and some yahoo decided to set off fireworks at 8:30. Maia didn't even flinch! Hunting season's rapid fire "gotta kill that deer in a hail of bullets" has desensitized her to pretty much all loud popping noises :roll:

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:26 am

Haven't decided what to have for dinner yet, but it's just DH, DS, my mom and I so no big deal. Fire is going in the stove downstairs and we will likely watch a movie (probably Adrift), take mom home, DH will go to bed, DS and I will stay off and set off a firework or two. Horses won't care about fireworks and they'll be beautiful in the black, starry night sky and the icy snow. Supposed to be in single digits tonight, and since we barely made it into the 20's F today, I believe the weather guessers this time. Lol

Meanwhile, the phone has been ringing off the hook this afternoon because DH and I had the audacity to close the clinic at noon so our employees could prepare for their New Years. Ah well, it truly was a beautiful day today.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:10 am

I went to bed at 10pm for our NYE! Could have gone to a party but too lazy. Well, I'm on days off and had busy shifts so just grateful for an early night sleep in my bed to be honest. Up early and rode this morning before it got too hot. I'm definitely getting old when a good night is an early sleep LOL!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:25 am

I popped into the store at 1:30 this afternoon and the parking lot was packed. That was enough for me. Visited the ponies, walked the dog, and we had salads and leftover soup for dinner. OK, I did have the last glass out of an open bottle of pinot noir.

DH is flying to Canada for a ski trip, so it will be up early to get him to the airport.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:35 am

I am working, barn and riding during the day, working the overnight at the group home overnight.

It's raining.

Good wishes for health, happiness and prosperity to all!!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:34 pm

Chancellor - I watch Ozark - the first 2 episodes I was a bit lost - and wasn't sure I really wanted to spend my time watching it.

So glad I stuck with it, it's good if you like deceit, killing, etc. LOL

Season 2 is actually more intense and full of twists than season 1.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 pm

I had a quiet NYE, went to bed around 10:30. So I go down on New Year's Day to ride and BO informs me that since she was concerned about the horse's reactions to any midnight noise, she was dressed and out throwing them some hay around midnight (the barn has housing developments close on three sides, vineyard and regional park on the other (but that side is away from the barns and paddocks). So, she finds my hyper-alert, spooky guy down and napping in his shed/stall. She said he woke, gave her an "are you crazy look," but gratefully accepted the hay. Then the fireworks went off. Close and huge and noisy. And he look up from his feed, gave an equine shrug and kept on eating. Can you say "bipolar?" Manic Arab, depressive Appaloosa.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”