So what are you watching?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: So what are you watching?

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:34 am

I'm excited for new seasons of Better Things and Better Call Saul next month. We've been watching Sex Education on Netflix, which is pretty good.
Keep calm and canter on.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:38 pm

StraightForward wrote:I'm excited for new seasons of Better Things and Better Call Saul next month. We've been watching Sex Education on Netflix, which is pretty good.

Hooray for the new seasons of both!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:00 am

Bip wrote:Paula, there’s a new season - Season 6 - and I don’t want to wait for it to come out on Netflix. I want it nowwwww!

Oooooh, I did not know that! Does your cable package have Pop TV? That’s the Canadian station that carries Schitt$ Creek.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:29 am

Looking forward to these series on Masterpiece. More on Grantchester and Endeavour. Then the new series Baptiste which stars the same French detective in 'The Missing' series.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sp ... g-in-2020/

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:24 am

Just started watching Giri/Haji on Netflix, it is quite good. Sometimes there are subtitles, but they speak in English when they are in London.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:48 pm

I just watched Locke and Key this week. I enjoyed it so, so much. I really enjoy the scifi/fantasy genre, but really struggle with it sometimes to find something that feels original and doesn't get too carried away. For me, this was pleasantly refreshing and I really hope any future seasons follow suit.
For example, I also just finished The Magicians, and while I enjoyed the show by the end I was getting frustrated. It almost seems like writers run out of content sometimes and things just start to get messy. Just how many times can you (or should you) bring characters back from the dead or create time loops/paradoxes. It got so messy and confusing by the end I was losing interest. DH would walk into the room and ask me what was happening now, and I'd have to pause the show and give a LENGTHLY explanation.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:47 pm

The Stranger on Netflix... 2 more episodes to go. So far, so riveting!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Moutaineer wrote:The Stranger on Netflix... 2 more episodes to go. So far, so riveting!

A good friend just this morning recommended this. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 pm

I'm watching "City on a Hill." It took me a little while to get into it, but I'm enjoying it.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:56 am

Spinning Out - quite good

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:02 pm

Started The Stranger on Netflix but bailed in the middle of episode 2. PBS is streaming for free Ken Burns series on baseball. You can watch it with a streaming device or on your tablet or phone. I’m not a sports fan, but I love the history of sports.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:06 pm

PaulaO wrote:Started The Stranger on Netflix but bailed in the middle of episode 2.

I can't count the number if shows I've bailed on after two episodes. Once in a while, after one. Life's too short, and there is enough great TV that I will like to spend time watching anything I'm not into by the middle of the second episode.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:41 pm

I'm trying to stretch out the new season of Better Call Saul. It's so good I don't want to miss it.

If you haven't seen it, Abstract on Netflix is wonderful. Each episode is a look at some of the most creative people in the world.

If you love sic fi, Altered Carbon. (I only have Netflix.) I read the books and an binging on reading Peter F Hamilton--the most amazing, prolific, detailed sci fi writer ever-- and this is similar.

If you like fluffy Project Runways stuff and have seen all of them, Next in Fashion is good.

I finally picked up Broadchurch after so many recommendations and it is really good.

I love, love, love the OA and am SO bummed they stopped after two seasons. Same with Sense 8, which has to have the best cast ever.

Longmire has many seasons and is good. If you like Orange is the New Black, Wentworth is the Aussie original that is not funny at all on 6 seasons now.

Z Nation is for zombie lovers. It's funny and good and is about five seasons.

And agree, phoenixrising, on The Magicians. It was a recommendation. but I grew to love it and the characters. It gets a bit much sometimes, but I really miss it.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:39 pm

On Netflix
Octavia Spencers "Self Made" a short series about Madam C J Walker. First episode was great and the acting top notch.

I will also take a look at The English Game, not because I like soccer but because I like good English drama about class divide

Started re-watching Call The Midwife, simply because how fine it is.

Thanks for the suggestion about Abstract.

and if you want a little change of pace and need sport fix. World Archery is going to rebroadcast some of the elite championship shootoffs on their site. I watch to simply marvel at how superb our top world archers are, The Korean women are amazing and the US Brady Ellison is world Number 1

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:33 pm

We just finished "Superstore" and "Queen's Gambit," and picked up "Better off Ted" and "Kim's Convenience."

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:21 am

We liked Kim's Convenience!

We've been watching The IT Crowd. Kind of low budget, but pretty funny sitcom from about 10 years ago.

Also Baroness von Sketch (all woman comedy sketch show).

Wishing for something I could really get drawn into though, like Downton Abbey or Breaking Bad (to name two wildly different shows ).
Last edited by StraightForward on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:23 am

Baroness von Sketch has been popping up on my FB feed. I find most of it to be very funny.

I'm watching season 3 of The Crown. It's great, but awfully depressing. Except for Anne.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:46 am

IT Crowd is on our to watch list. It's kinda on topic here :lol:

Queens Gambit was a big draw for both of us. The first few episodes were tough — too much reality right now — but by the third episode, we were glued to the TV. The Crown and the Witcher are too dark right now.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Riding buddy suggested Blown Away, a glassblowing competition.
We were in our mutual friend's pottery studio and they convinced me to get on the wheel to throw, we got talking about art and creative endeavours. I mentioned glass, so she told me to watch it. I'm nearly at the end, having binged 8 eps in 2 days.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Oh, I love all of the competition shows. I liked Blown Away. I've done all of the cooking ones, the knife making ones, the make up ones, and anything else. I like the creativity. Watch the make up one--it's fascinating.

Skin Wars is the body painting one, which I love, and Next in Fashion is an interesting variation of the fashion one. Jailbirds was fascinating. It shows people in jails, and just learning about how they passed things through the toilet is amazing! The Champions only has a few episodes, but are little insights as to what it takes to become a champion faller down the hill, frog jumper, etc.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:44 am

I think I spent a few months watching Forensic Files. Anecdotally a lot of men who are married or in relationships are largely the perpetrators. Next single men.
Chilling and yet lots of fun science.

Watched The Crown a bit, but don't like the new actress playing ER2 and HBC just doesn't fit for Margaret.

Frankly having a PBS Passport has been a godsend.

Otherwise found a lot of movies on Youtube:
Stalag 17
I Know Where I'm Going
Pygmalion
Leave Her to Heaven
Double Harness
Lemon Drop Kid
Notorious

Oh and the Buck Brannaman movie is on Youtube, too.

Movies there come and go.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:08 am

Amado wrote:Just finished binging on”dead to me”. It’s awesome.

I just finished watching the first season. It is awesome.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:51 pm

Watching Law and Order U.K. via Acorn, but it's also on Amazon Prime with commercials. First 2 seasons are outstanding, third season is o.k., I've kinda stopped with the fourth.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:02 am

Watching AMEND on Netflix - excellent. Who exactly is "We, the people" in the constitution? What is a citizen?

XIV Amendment - Section 1 - All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

race/woman/marital equality/immigrants covered

https://www.netflix.com/title/80219054

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:07 am

And this was pretty amazing - The mare had lost her foal 4 days earlier (red bag delivery/dummy foal) and the foal had lost his dam to a prolapsed rectum a few hours after birth. The owner of the dam had "advertised" an open mare on FB and somehow their paths crossed, they were only 160 miles away.............It took mare and foal ~15 seconds to work out a deal. :D

https://twitter.com/i/status/1372247905839505412

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:19 am

Recently we've been watching Shrill. I think it's on Hulu (DH handles all things television). I read her book (Lindy West) a year or two ago, and the show is really good, based quite closely on her life experience learning to own being fat (her word description), taking up space and not settling or buying into self hate.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:38 pm

Finished the BBC/PBC masterpiece adaptation of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small and really enjoyed it. It's quiet, comfort television. Watching Lupin now on Netflix, which is fun and more high-paced. It's a french show that can be watched either with subtitles or dubbed.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:53 am

We have just started "Call my Agent" on Netflix--French with subtitles. Pretty good so far!

Blob, hunt down the original All Creatures Great and Small, if you haven't seen it.

Lupin was good--hoping for another series to tie up the loose ends.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:49 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
Blob, hunt down the original All Creatures Great and Small, if you haven't seen it.

I've seen it, but it's been a long, long time! Could be nice to revisit it.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:18 am

I just finished watching "Wolf Hall" for a second time (first time was about five years ago). I think I enjoyed it even more this time. Mark Rylance is just amazing as Cromwell, as is Claire Foy as Anne Boleyn.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:47 pm

I LOVED Call My Agent. I gobbled it up. It seems an unlikely show for me to enjoy but the characters and stories were so much fun.

recently watched on Prime three series presented by historians "Tudor Monastery Farm" "Victorian Farm" and "Edwardian Farm". They present the life and technology of the time. Tudor was interesting in the discussion of the social structure of the power of the religion in society.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:10 am

I started on The Secrets of Whales tonight (Disney +). Fascinating.
It is hard to find something that I like that my Mom will tolerate. She doesn't like violence, Sci-fi ( :( ), & most modern 'comedies' . Most of the vet shows she likes some of it but not the graphic parts which most have. So, we have been watching a lot of travel shows and I try to find nature shows without a lot of the food chain displayed :lol: . We also watch football (local BSU and pro) and golf.

Movie wise, last week we watched Grumpier Old Men and Secondhand Lions. She enjoyed both of those.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:42 pm

KM, have you watched "The Art Detectives?"

Also, we have been rewatching "Lovejoy," which is always entertaining and easy viewing.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:11 pm

Right now I'm spending the weekend in front of my laptop watching the Land Rover Kentucky 3 Day Event. I still call it Rolex.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 01, 2021 3:56 pm

We watched the second installment of Ken Burns' Hemingway documentary last night. I love me a good documentary.

The country music documentary is super, and I think you can still stream it for free from PBS. Really interesting even if you not, or think you're not a country music fan.
Keep calm and canter on.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:33 pm

This is very a strange departure for me, but I am watching "What We Do in the Shadows." It is freakin' hilarious!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:52 am

"Manhunt" from the BBC. Starring Martin Clunes. Highly recommend!

"My Life is Murder," Australian, fairly lightweight crime drama with interesting plots and great locations.

And I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes of "Clarkson's Farm," though I don't think DH is very keen.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:18 pm

KathyK, we love What We Do in the Shadows!

We've been watching Mythic Quest on Apple TV. It's about video game developers, but done well so no need to be interested in gaming to enjoy it. It includes cast/writers from Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but it is not nearly as demented as that show.
Keep calm and canter on.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:25 pm

Bingeing on Catastrophe now, after doing the same with season 1 of Bosch. Bosch is a bit predictable, but I'm sure I'll have a go at season 2. Catastrophe is awesome!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:00 am

Madam Blanc on Acorn is a cozy mystery. I have the final episode waiting for me. In general I love British police procedural butbone last week gave me nightmares (can’t remember which) so I need light hearted. I’m obsessed with 2 British quiz shows that I watch on YouTube: University Challenge and Only Connect. Fiendishly difficult. However, Would I Lie to You, also on YouTube is side splitting funny.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:05 am

I've been subscribing to the PBS, Acorn and Britbox channels on Amazon Prime because I prefer mystery and drama series but no extreme violence. I recently watched a PBS crime series called Vienna Blood takes place in early 1900's time period.

If you like a bit bizarre and twisty to keep you guessing - I recommend the British series with actors John Simm and Philip Glenister called Life on Mars. You must continue watching it with the series called Ashes to Ashes.

I also found those same 2 British actors in another bizarre series called Mad Dogs. It follows the reunion of four old sixth form friends. They head to Spain to visit the fifth member of the gang, but things take a dark turn.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:15 am

Somebody, Somewhere (Hulu, I think?)
The Gilded Age
Shrill
After Life
All Creatures Great and Small

It seems like the TV drought is over, now there is too much to watch.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 am

I'm just starting All Creatures Great and Small, but I grew up on the original series and books (my dad is English) so I'm finding it hard to adapt to the 'new' people. The scenery is lovely as ever and I think the stories will be much the same, so I'll stick it out.
Mandalorian - I liked it quite a bit! Not really a star wars fan (other than the originals) but enjoyed it.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:15 pm

We're still on the Marvel universe kick, Falcon and the Winter Soldier now.

And DH has been on an old show kick, so Night Court. Low res, misogyny ... workplace sexual harassment ... somehow amidst all that the judge is pretty fantastic, and parts still hold up.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:21 pm

Flight wrote:Mandalorian - I liked it quite a bit! Not really a star wars fan (other than the originals) but enjoyed it.

Everything about Mandalorian was fabulous — the visual depth of the sets, the characters, the storyline ... Then we started watching Bobba Fett. Ooof. We're huge Star Wars fans, but I don't know if I can do this so soon after rewatching clone wars :D

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:57 pm

PaulaO wrote:Madam Blanc on Acorn is a cozy mystery. I have the final episode waiting for me. In general I love British police procedural butbone last week gave me nightmares (can’t remember which) so I need light hearted. I’m obsessed with 2 British quiz shows that I watch on YouTube: University Challenge and Only Connect. Fiendishly difficult. However, Would I Lie to You, also on YouTube is side splitting funny.

did you ever watch the Inspector Lewis series? One of my favorites.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:59 pm

Flight wrote:I'm just starting All Creatures Great and Small, but I grew up on the original series and books (my dad is English) so I'm finding it hard to adapt to the 'new' people. The scenery is lovely as ever and I think the stories will be much the same, so I'll stick it out.

I also grew up on the original and the books. And I think you'll have to sort of treat this as a different thing. i've enjoyed it a lot, but I think i would not enjoy it if i focused too much on how it compares to the books/original. I think the tone is right, but the characters and stories are not quite the same. So I am just enjoying it as a show about a country vet and that is good enough!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:22 pm

Josette wrote:I've been subscribing to the PBS, Acorn and Britbox channels on Amazon Prime because I prefer mystery and drama series but no extreme violence. I recently watched a PBS crime series called Vienna Blood takes place in early 1900's time period.

If you like a bit bizarre and twisty to keep you guessing - I recommend the British series with actors John Simm and Philip Glenister called Life on Mars. You must continue watching it with the series called Ashes to Ashes.

I also found those same 2 British actors in another bizarre series called Mad Dogs. It follows the reunion of four old sixth form friends. They head to Spain to visit the fifth member of the gang, but things take a dark turn.

Life on Mars is my favorite. I have a hidden crush in Gene Genie. Ashes to Ashes, not as good, but worth a watch if only for the final episode.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:21 pm

Right now, we enjoying 1883 and Bones! Odd mix I know. Oh, and we have yet to have seen Yellowstone, but we might try it now.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:20 pm

Inventing Anna. We have been binge watching it the last few days and have one episode left.

Based on a true story from a few years ago about a young woman in NYC who may or may not have been a Russian heiress and scammed people out of all kinds of money.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”