Reverse sear method for steak

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Reverse sear method for steak

Postby KathyK » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 am

A friend whose husband died in September moved last week. She was clearing out her freezer and gave me a two-pound boneless sirloin. It had been in the freezer since July. She doesn't eat meat, but her husband did and I guess it was just forgotten in there after he really went downhill. I figured that the quality of the meat had probably deteriorated some over that much time, so now was a good time to try my hand at the reverse sear method. If it didn't work, it wouldn't be that big a deal.

I was right about the quality deteriorating (it was a little tough), but that steak was cooked to medium-rare perfection.

The method is to cook the meat in a fairly slow oven (260°F) for around 40 minutes, to an internal temp of 130°F, then let it rest for five to ten minutes. Heat a skillet until it is very hot and sear the steak for 45 seconds on each side. So easy, and no guesswork.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Reverse sear method for steak

Postby Canyon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:59 pm

That's interesting, Kathy. That technique sounds kind of like what I've been reading about a sous vide method for meat and finish over a grill. DH is interested in getting a sous vide device.

He currently loves to use his smoker. I love the results but am less enthused when I read articles about how bad smoked and processed meats are for you. One of my favorite things he makes is a reversed-seared tri-tip
https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/revers ... ato-salsa/

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Canyon wrote:That's interesting, Kathy. That technique sounds kind of like what I've been reading about a sous vide method for meat and finish over a grill. DH is interested in getting a sous vide device.

I love using my sous vide device. And I finish on the stove top since I don't have a grill. It works really well, esp for bigger/thicker cuts of meat, though it can be a bit time consuming.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Another sous vide fan. I have lamb frozen in vacuum bags, so I often throw it directly in the water bath and then season and sear at the end. Works great when I don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.

I've had the Joule immersion circulator for about a year and love it because it's small enough to fit in a drawer. I do wish at least basic functions were available without using the app though. The Android app on my phone works pretty well, but the Amazon app on my Kindle Fire is crap.
Keep calm and canter on.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 pm

I am going to revive an old thread about Sous Vide, rather than totally hijacking this thread. I would love more info about the equipment y'all are using.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”