It’s 14 below zero

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

It’s 14 below zero

Postby PaulaO » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Crazy. I wisely canceled my lesson and am thinking why go to the barn.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: It’s 14 below zero

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:33 pm

And this next week looks even colder. I'm pleased the long-term weather report I use accurately pegged this a month ago. That report also says this next week is the last of the bitter cold. All of February looks very normal.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Brrrrrr! I’m happy that it’s finally cold here in Maryland, but we have NOTHING on those temps!!

We’ve had months of frequent heavy rain, then finally snow and cold. I told my awesome barn owner last night that for the first time I wish we had an indoor. I don’t wish we had one enough to move for the winter, but once I have Maia loading, I’m going to have to start hauling out. I’ll ride in anything, and my barn owner turns out as a rule, but both she and I have been refraining from both an unusual amount this winter.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:32 pm

My barn turns out in cold weather which I appreciate. Miss A.is an outdoor kinda gal. Don’t know if they’ll go out today. I don’t want the barn crew risking themselves in these temps. Unfortunately I have to run errands. But I’m having a massage later so it will be worth it. Ursula Kitteh is sleeping under the bed on a heat vent.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:57 pm

And yet here in Oregon, we've hardly had a freezing temp this winter. In fact I found a flea on the dog 2 weeks ago! I though I was done with flea meds for the winter, but apparently not.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:02 pm

PaulaO wrote:My barn turns out in cold weather which I appreciate.

My BO does as well. It’s the extreme (for us) mud that’s kept our horses in a few times. Of course, “in” is relative. They still go out — while stalls get cleaned — they just don’t stay out all day.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:12 pm

It’s now a tropical 3 above. Barn’s website says the horses are out which is fine by me. Snow starting again this afternoon....

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Fatcat is right, here it is 45, rinse and repeat, almost no cold, have not yet scraped windows in north seattle. Fairly typical winter for us now. if we are going to get cold and snow it will be between thanksgiving and christmas, rarely after that.
stay warm in spirit my friends

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:03 pm

We are going to have a nice day here, in the 40s and not windy, but I think your cold is coming here because the forecast for the week is miserable.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:15 pm

acheyarcher wrote:Fatcat is right, here it is 45, rinse and repeat, almost no cold, have not yet scraped windows in north seattle. Fairly typical winter for us now. if we are going to get cold and snow it will be between thanksgiving and christmas, rarely after that.
stay warm in spirit my friends

This is a fairly recent trend. The intense cold spell use to be in January, sometimes in February. And it was cold, not this mid-20 degree at night stuff. The other thing that has changed is that Thanksgiving period was wet and windy, not so much these days. We did have some frost on the cars 2 days ago, but we're rural, not in the cement corridors of the city.

Stay warm over there on the other side, toss out some seeds for the birds.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Wednesday ‘s prediction is dire. Seventeen below zero with wind chills of 50 below.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:02 pm

Yup. No riding for me. Snow and way below zero. Funnnnnn

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:49 pm

So awful. Stay safe and warm.

We're getting snow Tuesday and cold temps (for us) later in the week. In the south, "we" do not drive on snow days so today is for getting lots down in the office and loading up necessaries on the laptop...and riding the mare before the weather changes.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:16 pm

koolkat is right, and if you have bird feeding stations, put out a small amount of warm water for drinking.

Yes here we have not had some of the good onshore storms that bring wind and rain. It looks like California got most of ours this year., after the fires. These new norms are not good. MIssing winds allows old weak trees to remain, lowered moisture leads to poorer snowpack for irrigation and increased fire risk in the summer.

I wonder if some of the very cold regions are embracing the "work from home" culture more. Work from home rather than skate to the job where you do the same work

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:27 pm

I’m a hospital librarian and all of my work is done on a computer. Fortunately my director understands weather and I can work from home when it is dangerous to go out. Last night enough snow fell that schools are closed. My street and driveway haven’t been plowed so it’s a work from home day. Truthfully, I prefer being in my office.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm

We are under an extreme cold warning. -41 degrees with the windchill. I am over winter. Over it! RRRR! On another note - my hairy Canadians are shedding.... is this a sign of spring?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 pm

It is recommended (according to educational sources) that apparently to have the thermostat 4-6 degrees higher than normal when -degrees are occurring (esp with wind) because after a certain temp the furnaces cant keep up with the heat loss.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:32 pm

7:30 am Wednesday morning. It’s 24 BELOW ZERO and that doesn’t factor in the wind chill. Schools are closed, along with many businesses, and the public library. Last night the barn posted on FB that the roads were bad and don’t come out unless it’s a true emergency. Many restaurants stayed open until the wee hours as warming shelters. Garbage pickup has been canceled.

How do people keep horses in Alaska?

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 pm

I remember in 1986ish I was going to work one morning (walked to the subway station), and the display on one of the buildings next to the walk bridge I was crossing (in a swift wind, nonetheless) was showing -36C (-33F). Those days, in that part of the world, nobody ever talked about or considered wind chills at all.
I was wearing my 3/4 length down coat that my employer had actually bought for me because I had to make daily trips to the post office (walk!) regardless of weather. It was brand new, and while I was toasty warm on the inside, my face was feeling the cold. That coat was great!

I have seen / experienced -31C (-24F) after that, about 20 years ago, but that time there was no wind, so I decided to go take some pics outside in the beautiful snow. Didn't last long, though, LOL!!

But yeah, I will never forget that chilly morning - it was one of those "holy %$#&!" moments in time. Luckily, those temps didn't happen very often.

Right now, it's 20F here (Oklahoma) with 9F wind chill, and it's definitely cold for here. But, it's a far cry from MINUS something!

Y'all stay warm!!!
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:07 am

I'd like to hope that somewhere Leonard Cohen is smiling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpOfJ8hxQ0

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am

lol. When I was listening to the youtube, my local TV station was playing the same guys singing a song from Frozen!

LC should be smiling. Those guys are great.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 pm

Heat wave! It’s a tropical 3 ABOVE zero. The horses have been inside for 3 days. They will go out today. I haven’t seen Miss A in over a week. Rachel will ride her tonight to get the sillies out before my lesson tomorrow.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:27 pm

PaulaO wrote:Heat wave! It’s a tropical 3 ABOVE zero. The horses have been inside for 3 days. They will go out today. I haven’t seen Miss A in over a week. Rachel will ride her tonight to get the sillies out before my lesson tomorrow.

Same here! It is currently 19°F right now ---- but we will be back to highs of -11°F by Monday... enjoying it while I can!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:51 am

Now three days of +30 degrees and rain - followed by temps in the 20s next week. Bleh.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:17 am

Weird here. We've had a lot of snow and very cold wind so far this winter. But it's been warm and melting for the past couple of days and now it's RAINING here at 7000 ft. It's supposed to turn into snow overnight and then about a foot of snow over the next three days--which presents a problem as my husband and chief snow-plower is out of the country and not due back in until Tuesday night. I'll have to park a vehicle down at the end of the driveway and snowshoe down if I want to get out.

Rain on top of snow is the pits. My driveway is like a bobsled run and getting over to my barn is a bit sporty already.

However, it was nice having my lesson in shirtsleeves today!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Saturday was in the mid30s and the horses were out. Overnight the temperature rose. It’s now in the low 40s and the horses are in because everything froze and the pastures are ice. Oh.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”