Gnarly feet

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Gnarly feet

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:36 am

Mine, not the horses...

Since moving out to the desert west, my feet have been a constant struggle--cracked, callused, dry, and really quite painful to walk on some days--and the poor bed sheets!

I try to stay up on exfoliating them with pumice and nailbrush in the shower, have a bunch of assorted files, scrapers, an even a little battery powered dremmel-type thingy, and have tried every cream and goo known to man, I think, (my latest try is Desitin, which is actually working quite well at healing the cracks and softening in general, but is extremely messy and I still have some significant recalcitrant patches.)

I was looking around on the Internet the other day and came across this thing called a "baby feet foot peel." You basically soak your feet in a gel that's made up of glycolic and salicylic acid, amongst other things, and about 5 days later all the dry skin peels off. There are some truly disgusting pictures online if you do a search.

Has anyone tried this?

I wonder if I could get back to baseline decent feet whether I could maintain them so I could wear sandals this summer without frightening small children... however, I imagine scenarios where it could go horribly wrong...

Josette

Re: Gnarly feet

Postby Josette » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:39 pm

I always check AMAZON site for product reviews from customers. There looks like there are several of these foot products to compare reviews. Just a thought - but afterwards I would apply daily a natural based coconut oil and/or manuka honey based cream for skin issues.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Bag Balm and socks at night.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:20 pm

PaulaO wrote:Bag Balm and socks at night.

This ^^^^

I suffer from this as well, I have been using the O'Keefe's brand of foot cream, and socks at night. It has help tremendously!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:18 pm

What do you wear on your feet during the day?

That may also make a difference.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:57 pm

I've used baby foot! It works really well.

My only caution would be that if you have any raw/open skin areas from the cracking to make sure it's safe for that.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:40 pm

I’m with Tuddy! I’ve used OKeefes brand for both hands and feet on a daily basis for years and it works! Even in the dehydrated desert heat this product actually helps. Walmart carries it at a reasonable price.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 pm

I have this problem with my hands more than my feet, but I find Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve to be amazing. It can nearly make me "normal" in a day. If I use it daily, I don't have problems.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:48 pm

I have gnarly calluses (thank you, running!) and dry skin, but no fungus stuff going on. I pick up the 1# tubs of coco butter with vitamin e from BJs, and slather it on my feet (and the rest of my dry skin) every time I get out of the shower. My feet get a double dose, and I immediately stick a pair of socks on. A friend who's an esthetician has recommended wrapping my feet in plastic wrap, then adding the socks, but, yeah, no.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 am

I swear, I have tried all these things over the past 20 years. I have a multiplicity of discarded tubes of heavy duty grease of one form or another! Desitin is, so far, in the lead.

WMW, for about 7 or 8 months of the year I am a socks and shoes (generally Clarks clogs at home or some kind of boots if I am on site, or riding boots, or occasionally something more dressy, but still flat) person. I'm picky about shoe fit and quality and don't wear heels any more. In our fleeting summer months, I'm a flip flops and bare feet person unless I'm on a construction site, in which case I favor leather deck shoes preferably without socks, or I'm around horses, in which case, deck shoes or the aforementioned riding boots. I'm pretty careful to scrub and grease my feet at least before bed every night. and regrease in the morning.

Yeah, there's something a bit weird about wrapping body parts in clingfilm.

I think, if I can get everything healed up and calmed down with the Desitin regime, I may try a foot peel. I'd just like to have pretty feet again, especially now that the rest of me is getting old and wrinkly. I'll report back for my fellow sufferers. But I promise not to add pictures.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:01 am

I soak and debride with a stone. I am diabetic and those baby foot wraps are not recommended for those with diabetes. Which, by the way, means they carry a danger of causing infection. It needs daily attention. By the way, I went to a professional shoe fitter who caters to athletes and runners. Wearing properly fitting shoes had had two benefits. My knees and hips hurt so much less, and I have much much much fewer calluses on my feet.

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:26 am

Try Urea 40% foot cream. Available on Amazon and probably other places. This is what my podiatrist recommends.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 pm

Preparation H is a great foot and hand cream. Soothing, and works very well.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Can a podiatrist shave off or buff the calluses?

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:31 pm

PaulaO wrote:Can a podiatrist shave off or buff the calluses?

One thing you can do, is call your local medical clinic and see if they can give you the name of a clinic where people with diabetes go to get their feet done. I work with a girl that lives with another girl who does this, she actually is part of our health region's home care services, and will go to senior's/patients on ordered bed rest/nursing homes/etc., to help give treatment on feet. I think she does have some sort of education to do this, and does it out of her home on the side. She has mentioned that there are private clinics that offer these services as well, that are not just your average spa type facilities.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”