Shareboarding--what to cover in a contract?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Shareboarding--what to cover in a contract?

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:01 am

I am entering into a shareboard situation. I will post pics when it is official BTW. Anyway, we've ironed out that I'm riding 2 days (but haven't decided which), I will use owner's tack, farrier and vet are covered by her. Questions I plan on asking are: who pays get if horse gets hurt while I am riding. If horse is laid up, do I get a refund. Anything else I should be thinking of?

The barn rule is that you must take a weekly lesson so that will take care of one ride. I'm cool with that. I doubt I could bring in an outside trainer and I don't really care.

iriedogs
Greenie

Re: Shareboarding--what to cover in a contract?

Postby iriedogs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:12 am

If you get hurt or sick and cannot ride for a period of time (any kind of hurt or sick, not just a riding accident), can contract be cancelled, and same goes for if the horse gets hurt or sick and cannot be ridden for a period of time. What happens with payment if either of those occur. I hope it would not happen, but if it did, best to have that hammered out in the beginning.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:53 pm

If horse is hurt through your negligence while you are riding, you should be responsible. I would specify an upper limit to your liability, though. You can't be expected to pay thousands of dollars for surgeries. If it's due to someone else's negligence, the owner should pursue that avenue. If it's no one's fault (a motorcycle backfires, your horse spooks and is injured), that's on the owner.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:42 am

If you're days are pre-set, what happens if you can't make "your" day one week? Do you just miss it. If it's a make-up, how do you coordinate that? I witnessed a rather nice share situation go south mostly because there was no clear method communication on this issue.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”