Pretty Palominos--let's show our goldies :)

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Pretty Palominos--let's show our goldies :)

Postby Kathy Johnson » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:25 pm

This photo shoot was almost impossible. I'll try to pull out the out-takes when I have time. We started with 6 horses and whittled down to 4 who would behave. There were lots of shennigans--the Haflingers can't help it. This is Fattah and Orra, National Show horses, and Aristotle and Nitro, Haflingers, all at Medicine Horse Program.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Pretty Palominos--let's show our goldies :)

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:17 pm

I have always wanted what my friend calls a "yellow horse." I just love Palominos and I know I will be jealous of the soon to be posted pictures. But I refuse to have a Palomino whose name contains Golden or Honey.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:09 pm

Goodness what a beautiful photo. Love the dapples on the NSH. My DD has a palomino QH. She's a rescue and very people oriented. Most of her photos are closeups!
Attachments
Fame_now.jpg
Fame_now.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 30206 times
Fame closeup.jpg
Fame closeup.jpg (79.84 KiB) Viewed 30206 times

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:17 pm

This is Grace, first palomino I have bred or owned. She has won best body colour at our National palomino Championships. She doesn't even lose her colour in winter or when clipped.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

demi

Postby demi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:37 pm

OMGoodness! Just beautiful. All of them.

DollarHorse
Greenie

Postby DollarHorse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am

Jordan, aka Mr. Gold Ruler. Passed away peacefully at age 28--he was probably 24 or so in this picture.
Attachments
1126_512430513272_7326_n.jpg
1126_512430513272_7326_n.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 30145 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:55 am

This sounds crazy, but every Palomino I've encountered has been very people oriented, just like orange kittehs. Are your Palominos pocket ponies??

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:35 am

Oh this is such torture. My computer is broken right now and all I have is my iPad which doesn't have my photo album. I'm a 2 palomino owner so there's lots of pictures of gold horses. Ha! That's my user name. Well, I hope Apple can fix the problem rapidly.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:36 am

And yes, my 2 golden boys are people ponies.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:06 pm

They are all so pretty! Yes, all of ours are pocket ponies. Fattah, who is blind in one eye is a little more aloof, or I should say careful. He wants to be close, but he's super careful. The Haflingers ARE human, in their minds.

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:24 pm

John water baby.jpg
John water baby.jpg (144.77 KiB) Viewed 30071 times

My horse John splashing.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:05 am

My palomino is a chocolate, so I guess not being av Goldy, is v out of the exclusive club, lol.

As a member of the grey mare club, I find it really interesting that in a completely non racist way, we can still group ourselves according to color.

Your goldies are very pretty.

mzloolue
Greenie

Postby mzloolue » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:50 am

PaulaO wrote:I have always wanted what my friend calls a "yellow horse." I just love Palominos and I know I will be jealous of the soon to be posted pictures. But I refuse to have a Palomino whose name contains Golden or Honey.

When we were kids and had to board our horses all the other people at the barn were men.
Actually, everyone we ever boarded with were men.
Mostly quarter horses.

None of those men would ever say the word palomino.
They were yellow horses.
The name and the color were suspect and embarrassing.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:24 am

Chis, what cracks me up is the way the herds group by color.The Friesians stay with friesisans, haflingers with haflingers, and so on. Then I realized that as inbred as they are, they probably are cousins so it makes sense that would think alike and like each other.

I like the chocolate palominos, no one excluded, except MAYBE cremelos. They're cool but always look a little dingy to me.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:28 am

We've got another one, the mustang mare Dawn. She's a lighter shade, dappled, with a bit of grey in her mane and tail. She's 5 and is for sale. Sweet girl, very stout. I couldn't fit another one into the picture without squabbles.

iriedogs
Greenie

Postby iriedogs » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:51 am

Here are our two Haflingers. Flora and me, and Dutchess, my daughter's Haffie. We say Haffies are addictive like potato chips, we can't have just one!
Flora small.jpg
Flora small.jpg (174.77 KiB) Viewed 30047 times
Attachments
Dutchess small.jpg
Dutchess small.jpg (146.64 KiB) Viewed 30047 times

iriedogs
Greenie

Postby iriedogs » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:00 am

PaulaO wrote:This sounds crazy, but every Palomino I've encountered has been very people oriented, just like orange kittehs. Are your Palominos pocket ponies??

YES. They would rather be with people than with other horses. But is it because they are Haflingers, or because they are gold? I don't know, as I have never owned a "yellow horse" before. But I sure love ours!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:41 am

Love this thread! I've never owned a palomino, but I got to ride one for a short time while his owner was pregnant. Always felt like I was working with Barbie's Dream Horse :lol:

Chisamba wrote:My palomino is a chocolate, so I guess not being av Goldy, is v out of the exclusive club, lol.

Post a picture anyway! I want to see :)
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Wonderful photos. I'm looking forward to the out-takes from the medicine horse gang!

I want to see Chisamba's chocolate palomino, too.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Reese was my first auction 'rescue' i proudly outbid a meat buyer at the auction for her, i needed a small pony for lessons, and she seemed quiet. turns out she is a bit of a cracker, and intimidates small riders. i was told she was pure haffie but never believed it until a farrier from PA told me about a stallion he does that is chocolate and throws smaller chocolates. When i brought her to be trimmed he asked if she was a haffie from X farm. So maybe she is pure.
Attachments
reese on course smaller.jpg
showing the tornado on her forehead that should have been a hint to her nature
reese on course smaller.jpg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 29996 times
reeseandKarmafirstday.jpg
this is the day we brought them back from the auction, i outbid a meat buyer.
reeseandKarmafirstday.jpg (145.16 KiB) Viewed 29996 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:08 pm

What makes a chocolate Palomino chocolate? In Chi's picture, I just see a dark brown horse. P.S. Love the side eye your horse is giving in the above pic!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:26 pm

PaulaO wrote:What makes a chocolate Palomino chocolate? In Chi's picture, I just see a dark brown horse. P.S. Love the side eye your horse is giving in the above pic!

I would call her a liver chestnut, if she had not had genetic testing done at UC Davis. she is liver with one cream gene. Why did i have it done? because some one wanted to buy her and they paid for it, the sale fell through largely because i felt really uncomfortable with the idea of selling a horse to be bred just for color.

Palomino - one dose of cream on a chestnut/sorrel coat. A little known fact is that palominos can have manes and tails that are not white - they can range anywhere from white-ish to blonde to self colored (the same color as the body). This is easy to confirm with a test from UC Davis.

Flaxen Chestnut - a "red" (sorrel/chestnut) horse with a light mane and tail. The mane/tail may appear almost white and cause the horse to be confused with a palomino. Often red, blonde, and nearly white hairs are mixed together in the mane and tail which would give a silvery appearance. This is when it gets confused for silver black (if the horse is very dark liver) or silver bay (if it is a lighter brownish color).

Silver - a dilution gene that only affects black pigment. A silver bay will have a diluted mane and tail and diluted lower legs where there is normally black hair. It closely resembles a flaxen chestnut or a dark palomino at times, and many many silvers are mis-registered. A silver black (also called silver dapple but they do not always have dapples) looks like a very dark liver color with a lighter mane and tail. The silver dilution is common in some breeds (mini, American Shetland, Rocky Mountain) and newly discovered in others (Quarter Horse). There is no test for silver yet but there is a test for bay (the horse will test as black with agouti) so again, the mystery is easy to solve.

intellectual property of Sara B. ^ bolding added, mine

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Love these pics.

I owned a palomino for a short time. A beautiful golden palomino. But she was so sweet and gentle and incredibly boring, I couldn't stand her. :lol: I sold her to some people who adored her and her job became standing still while their grandkids used her as a jungle gym. I bought a new horse that had some fire in the belly. Everyone was happy. 8-)

Now all I have is boring non-dilute palominos. :P

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Great pics :)

On the subject of palominos, did Honeylips make the transition over to this board?

honeylips
Greenie

Postby honeylips » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:45 pm

I am here! My only palomino is Golden State! I do have Golden West who is cremello (double palomino/double dilute) as well.
Ya'll do realize that Haflingers aren't genetically palomino - right?

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:46 pm

Not one of ours, unfortunately. Apologizing in advance. But it is a pretty horse.

palboy.jpg
palboy.jpg (50.64 KiB) Viewed 29970 times

Yes on the Haflingers, Honeylips, but we're not being exclusive here. No DNA testing. And please show pix, even of the cremello :)

honeylips
Greenie

Postby honeylips » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:49 pm

Golden State - pre clipping
Last edited by honeylips on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honeylips
Greenie

Postby honeylips » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Golden State while being clipped last week

Silverpoet
Greenie

Postby Silverpoet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:57 pm

I love Palomino colored horses more than any other color combination. Here is my former Palomino, Penny. She was my dream horse come to life but she came to me with a lameness issue that I couldn't resolve. So, now she has the occasional foal and is mostly a pasture puff for a Georgian Grande breeder.

She's still the ideal I use when ever I think of the perfect palomino. My search for another one like her continues.
Attachments
Penny.jpg
Penny.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 29967 times

honeylips
Greenie

Postby honeylips » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:01 pm

Golden West

Silverpoet
Greenie

Postby Silverpoet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Oh, Honeylips! I love your cremello. What a beautiful boy! I swear, it makes me want a herd of chestnut pony mares so I can breed lots of pretty palomino GRPs.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:53 pm

Palomino genetics??? I know one parent has to be a chestnut. Is there a magic formula that will guarantee a Palomino? P.S. Grace and Golden State would be perfectly welcome to move to Illinois with me. Just sayin' :mrgreen:

khall

Postby khall » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Yes, cremello to chestnut will give you palomino!! Sometimes cremello to bay will give you palomino if bay horse has red gene in there. Me I bred bay mare with NO red gene to cremello (bred for other reasons, color was plus though!) and got pretty buckskin!!

My very first horse was a palomino, at least we thought he was. Dark in the summer and then much lighter with winter hair. No idea on breeding etc, great first horse.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:16 pm

honeylips wrote:I am here! My only palomino is Golden State! I do have Golden West who is cremello (double palomino/double dilute) as well.
Ya'll do realize that Haflingers aren't genetically palomino - right?

I guess that would mean that Reese is not a haflinger, ( i did not realize this)

honeylips
Greenie

Postby honeylips » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Not to derail too much into coat color genetics.

Haflingers do NOT carry the creme gene (which is needed for palomino). Genetically they are chestnut with flaxen. Sounds wierd but it's true. The haflinger breed has no creme gene in it anywhere.

A palomino is a chestnut that also has the creme gene expression "on top" of the chestnut that makes them palomino.

A buckskin is a bay that also has the creme gene expression "on top" of the bay that makes them buckskin.

A cremello is a palomino that also has A SECOND creme gene that makes them cremello. They will always have pink skin and blue eyes

A perlino is a buckskin that also has a SECOND creme gene that makes them perlino. They also will always have pink skin and blue eyes.

Palomino to chestnut will give you either palomino or chestnut foal

Palomino to bay will give you palomino/buckskin/bay or chestnut foal. It depends on if the mother is homozygous for bay or if she carries chestnut too.

Cremello to chestnut you will always get palomino

Cremello to bay you can get buckskin or palomino (again depends on if the mother is homozygous for bay or if she carries chestnut.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:48 pm

There is a girl at my barn who is very into color, she has Morgan's, and will explain our talk about color genetics all day. She had told me about the creme gene and cremello, and buckskin, etc.

I just did not know haflingers carried the flaxen gene, not the creme gene.

I know Arabians can carry the flaxen gene but not the creme gene.

I Have seen a few lower quality animals being bred because they carry a color gene, honeylips not included, which sort of turned me off color.
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:17 pm

What happens with a cremello to Palomino? (distant memory resurfacing of something not good?)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:44 pm

cremello ( creme ) is not a lethal gene, you can breed it back to a palomino and get a fifty fifty chance of either a palomino or a cremello.

honeylips
Greenie

Postby honeylips » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Chisamba is right. It's not a "lethal" gene. You will either get pally or cremello.
Same if you breed buckskin to cremello. You will get either buckskin/cremello or perlino.

Reiter
Greenie

Postby Reiter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Palomino eye candy...

But these guys are gorgeous too!

RedMare
Greenie

Postby RedMare » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks Red Mare! I was just getting ready to post that link. Jean Kaplan Thornton was also there with one of her goldies, Benji. He also drives, one of these four.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:54 pm

I found this cool picture of Trigger, Jr. He was a registered TWH. They said he could do all the moves the Lipizzans could. Roy Rogers said that he was used mostly for exhibitions because he wasn't too good as a cowboy horse :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:13 pm

I've heard that Mr. Ed was an ASB. Registered name Bamboo Harvester.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:47 pm

PaulaO wrote:I've heard that Mr. Ed was an ASB. Registered name Bamboo Harvester.

I thought so, too, but according to allbreedpedigree, he was almost half Arab. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bamboo+harvester

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:52 am

I do not believe the all breed pedigree s are confirmed accurate. Anyone can enter them.

nightlace
Greenie

Postby nightlace » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:30 am

Another variation of palomino is Champagne Gold. The horse has pink skin, mottled skin around the nose, amber eyes, and a creamy golden coat. Often the hair gives an almost iridescent sheen. Can be very pretty.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”