Saying good-bye - so hard.

DJR
500 post plus club

Saying good-bye - so hard.

Postby DJR » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm only now able to type this out. On Sunday (3 days ago), we had to say good-bye to my daughter's beloved Welsh pony, Sera.

Sera was my daughter's first ever pony. For those of you who remember, I adopted K (my daughter) when she was 7 yrs old (4-1/2 yrs ago) and the next summer, when she turned 8, I surprised her with Sera. Here she is the day she met Sera on her birthday:
IMG_3212.JPG
Birthday present!
IMG_3212.JPG (110.1 KiB) Viewed 11693 times

IMG_3227.JPG
Taking her pony home.
IMG_3227.JPG (101.92 KiB) Viewed 11693 times

Sera was the perfect mount for her at the beginning because she loved being fussed over, and was unflappable and just walked & jogged around for K. They enjoyed many outings together, hacks around the local trails, and so on.
IMG_4921.JPG
Many adventures together.
IMG_4921.JPG (153.62 KiB) Viewed 11693 times

Once K got more experienced and asked for more, Sera then showed her "pony brain" and became somewhat difficult. When K asked for a more purposeful working trot or, more often, canter, Sera learned that she could duck her head down and send K over one of her shoulders. K was always petite so didn't have long enough legs to keep her in the saddle.

Nevertheless, K adored Sera so learned to ride better and did very well with her.

... continued next post ...
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

DJR
500 post plus club

Re: Saying good-bye - so hard.

Postby DJR » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Sera was a very successful hunter pony in her heyday, including going to Florida and winning on the 'A' circuit in her younger years. So she was super to take to shows and, when she wasn't testing K, was a really fun mount for her. K dressed her up for costume classes, and did lots with her.

Once K's riding was more confident, she started going to schooling shows and then Bronze-level shows locally. The two of them made a snazzy pair.
IMG_9946.JPG
Dressage show.
IMG_9946.JPG (175.42 KiB) Viewed 11687 times

K decided that Sera needed a show name, so came up with the name "A Kiss Every Day". It was a very fitting name.

The two of them did better and better once K's confidence increased, and once her legs grew a bit (LOL). They started cleaning up wherever they went.
IMG_5350.JPG
Success!
IMG_5350.JPG (104.38 KiB) Viewed 11687 times

But as Sera aged, she got more and more stiff so we found a younger mount for K to ride regularly back in 2017 (her current large pony QH gelding, Sawyer). K still rode Sera for hacks and for short bareback rides, but nothing taxing.

Then last summer Sera foundered and that led to the diagnosis of Cushing's disease. We caught it fairly early and she responded well to Prascend, and bounced back from her laminitis for the most part. But then this brutal winter hit. Just before Christmas she became very sore again when the ground became icy & hard. There were no signs of acute laminitis, but the vet and I think she was suffering from chronic founder. She rallied again with pain meds and stall rest on deep bedding.

The winter remained brutal up here with cold stretches (-20C) interspersed with warmer periods when it would rain, sleet, or freezing rain, and the paddocks all resembled skating rinks for weeks on end. Despite rotating through different meds to treat her pain, Sera would slightly rally but overall was worsening. Last Saturday evening she spent most of the time lying down so I fed & watered her where she lay and gave her IV banamine. In the morning, she was worse. When she tried to stand up, she shook in obvious pain. I had her euthanized as soon as the vet could get there.

IMG_0205.JPG
Saying good-bye.
IMG_0205.JPG (92.12 KiB) Viewed 11687 times

K was, of course, in tears ... so was I. She was a fabulous pony who we thought would be with us for many, many more years (she was only 21, which isn't that old for a Welsh pony). K kept some of her tail, forelock, and mane, so I plan to have a bracelet made from some of it for her. She's still weepy and it will be a long time before this loss settles down for her ... and for me.

Good-bye sweet Sera. Gallop on in your green pastures on high.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry. It sounds like she had a wonderful home with you and K, and taught your daughter so much. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Hers seemed to be the perfect pony world--being loved, well-cared for to a solid age, able to reach the potential of her talent while happy to do so, and teaching kids riding/respect/responsibility. She'll be the horse your daughter will keep in her heart forever. RIP Sera.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Oh I'm so sorry! Your post brings tears to my eyes. A perfect pony for a perfect little girl. Both were meant to land in your wonderful care.
(I've got one who likely won't see another winter due to navicular. I don't look forward to it.)

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:35 pm

I am so sorry for your daughter and the loss of her dear Sera. Wishing her peace and to remember their good times together. :cry:

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:25 pm

This is heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:12 am

I'm so sorry for you, your daughter, and the lovely Sera.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 am

So sorry :(

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 am

Sera looks like she adored her little girl. So sorry for all of you.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:20 am

I'm so sorry for you and your daughter, DJR.

(And time passes so quickly--it's hard to believe that its 4 1/2 years since you adopted her.)

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:43 am

What a beautiful pony, condolences to K and you and everyone that knew her.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:55 pm

This is devastating for a young girl who loves so much. She put her whole heart into her pony and I am very sorry.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:38 pm

So sorry for you and K. (((((()))))))

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:30 am

Godspeed, Sera. I'm so sorry for you and your daughter. It is a tough reality of loving animals that live shorter lives than we do. You shared a wonderful tribute of Sera's character, talent and beauty---brought me to tears.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Oh I am so sorry. That last pic gives me a huge lump in my throat. They made a wonderful pair.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:59 pm

So sorry. A hard time for an adult. I can only imagine the devastation for a child. RIP good pony Sera.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:54 pm

I'm sorry for the loss of your pony! I remember when you got her

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:38 pm

So very sorry for you and your daughter's loss

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”