Slow Roasted Sweet Potatoes

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Slow Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Postby KathyK » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:29 am

From The Smitten Kitchen. This is just stupendous. By the time my sweet potato was done roasting, my kitchen smelled like sweet potato pie. The sweet potato was moist and light and fluffy and unlike anything I had eaten before. I didn't bother with the broiler, but I did let the potato rest for 10 minutes. Okay, five. Three. I couldn't wait to taste it.

Heat oven to 275°F.
For each potato:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt (this will make a quite salty skin, so use less if desired)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Arrange sweet potatoes on a large, foil-lined baking sheet. Rub each with olive oil, salt, and pepper until well coated. Bake until very soft inside and caramelized on the bottom, about 2 1/2 hours.
Heat the broiler and run the potatoes underneath it until lightly charred on top. Depending on the broiler, this can take 5 to 10 minutes. Check in regularly -- a robust broiler might do it in 1 to 2 minutes.
Let the potatoes cool 10 minutes, then gently crush them with your hands to expose the flesh.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/02/slow ... -potatoes/

Wicky
Herd Member

Re: Slow Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Postby Wicky » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:51 am

OH YUMMY! So I thought - as someone who tries very hard to eat lower glycemic load foods - that since sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic load than regular potatoes, this would be something that I could eat without guilt. Just out of curiosity, I Googled glycemic load sweet potatoes. I'm now sad.

:(

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/ ... confusion/

GI ranks carbohydrates from 0–100, based on how much and how fast they affect blood glucose levels. A higher number means the food has a larger impact on blood glucose levels. Glucose itself has a ranking of 100.

GI is important for people with Type 2 diabetes, because they often have a delayed insulin response. If glucose goes up fast, the body does not respond quickly enough, and glucose levels can get way too high after meals. So we want low-GI foods.

GI doesn’t tell you how much glucose will eventually get into your system, just how much of a blood glucose spike the food creates. To improve the GI, Dr. Walter Willett at Harvard helped develop the concept of glycemic load (GL). GL combines the GI with a measure of how much carbohydrate there is in a food.

The GL is calculated from the GI using the formula GL = (GI × Net Carbs) ÷ 100. (Net carbs are equal to the total carbohydrates minus dietary fiber.)

For GI, anything below 55 is low, and anything over 70 is considered high. Numbers from 55–69 are medium.

The same foods can have a very different GI and GL depending on how they are prepared. A boiled sweet potato has a low GI of 44 and a medium GL of 11. But if baked for 45 minutes, the same sweet potato has a GI of 94 and a GL of 42, both extremely high. Baking has essentially turned the sweet potato into candy.

:( :( :( :( :(

So here is a discussion about why, which of course is related to why the recipe above is yummy beyond belief. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sweet-po ... 12dc9df44c

Sorry to take this a little off topic, and I really do not mean to be pedantic, but thought you might find it interesting.

Still, sweet potato is healthier than Idaho!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Wicky wrote:But if baked for 45 minutes, the same sweet potato has a GI of 94 and a GL of 42, both extremely high. Baking has essentially turned the sweet potato into candy.

Considering how my house smelled by the time my sweet potato was done, I would agree with your assessment, lol. Thank you for the information. I will limit this to an infrequent treat.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Wicky wrote:
Still, sweet potato is healthier than Idaho!

But what if I eat a sweet potato I grew @ home in Idaho?

White potatoes develop resistant starch when cooled, so potato salad, or other cold potato dishes don't act as carb-heavy as a straight baked potato.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/re ... starch-101

I love a baked garnet yam with cottage cheese and black pepper. Simple, yummy work lunch.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”