Safe, sound, and all that (sort of a spinoff)

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Safe, sound, and all that (sort of a spinoff)

Postby musical comedy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:11 pm

On the horse sales site, you'll find the In Search Of (ISO) ads. They are mostly all the same. Everyone wants safe, no bolt/rear/spin/buck. Everyone wants sound. Nobody wants a mare. Everyone wants 16h+. And then there's the list of breeds they don't want, which is just about all of them except a full warmblood. Most want show experience and many want potential for FEI. Many want changes. Most want the perfect age range, such as from 6-12. The list goes on. And guess what, there are usually 30 or more replies because everyone (don't you know) has such a horse for sale. Furthermore, the horse is for sale for a bargain price. Uh-huh.

I know from inquiring about many sale horses, plus the sale ads my friend has responded to, that there are almost always big red flags in all the sale horses. So why don't people just tell the truth in the ad you ask. Well, it is because if they did they would not get any responses. My trainer told me that himself.

To veer off from that subject while I am on a soapbox of bitching, why do people not put the link to the video in the ad. Why do people have to say "may I have a video" and then get replied "video sent". Wouldn't it be easier to just put the link in instead of replying to various inquiries? If I ran those websites, I'd delete every ad that didn't have price, video, and important particulars in it.

The other thing I've noticed is the same people always asking for videos, many of which are professionals. They are looking to flip I suppose.

StraightForward

Re: Safe, sound, and all that (sort of a spinoff)

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:30 pm

My next horse just might be a big-bodied 15.2-15.3 mare. I rode my barn mate's DeNiro gelding last night. He is compact, about the same size as Annabelle, and I felt great on him, even though I'm 5'9". I'm going to ride him in my saddle today, so that will be a better comparison. Mares are just fine by me, so I think I could get a bargain in a sub-16H mare.

I also share the confusion on why people don't just post a video with the original ad. It allows buyers to quickly screen and avoids wasting everyone's time.

I'd assume the professionals have clients in mind, so they look through lots of videos for that reason.
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Unicorns, everybody wants one, nobody has one. :-)

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:28 pm

StraightForward wrote:My next horse just might be a big-bodied 15.2-15.3 mare. I rode my barn mate's DeNiro gelding last night. He is compact, about the same size as Annabelle, and I felt great on him, even though I'm 5'9". I'm going to ride him in my saddle today, so that will be a better comparison. Mares are just fine by me, so I think I could get a bargain in a sub-16H mare.
Ask and you shall receive mine.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:05 pm

musical comedy wrote:
StraightForward wrote:My next horse just might be a big-bodied 15.2-15.3 mare. I rode my barn mate's DeNiro gelding last night. He is compact, about the same size as Annabelle, and I felt great on him, even though I'm 5'9". I'm going to ride him in my saddle today, so that will be a better comparison. Mares are just fine by me, so I think I could get a bargain in a sub-16H mare.
Ask and you shall receive mine.

Pity I am overloaded with three already; Annabelle has a couple more years before she tops out, I think.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:15 pm

I literally had a list of 15 things, Riot got everything checked off but the height. He was also not for sale at the time but was available to me for a private purchase.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:43 pm

I have a big barreled 15'3" mare and she is perfect! I would not sell her for any price, so it's a good thing no one wants one like her haha.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:24 pm

I definitely did not want a mare! Over the years I have only ridden a few but I really had the feeling they didn't like me and I just didn't seem to like them either. The whole in season thing was a turn off.

I had a heck of a time finding a small horse, every ad I looked at was 16 hands or more.

My list was gelding, sane, well broke, max height 15.2, semi close to my location, sound. I really wasn't breed specific, tho I didn't want a draft cross due to their size, also a pinto or a bit of splash would have been the icing on the cake. My budget was around 20-25k.

What did I end up with? A MARE I was so resistant to even go look at her, but my friend twisted my arm. It was not love at first sight. But, she was close to my location and the size I was looking for. She's just shy of 15.2.

I will say she has changed my view on mares as she is the most loving horse and doesn't have the typical bitchy mare attitude. Sure I put her on Regumate as she was onlywacky under saddle. She was very green broke, but we are working with a good trainer and things are finally coming together.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:34 pm

Hayburner wrote:I will say she has changed my view on mares as she is the most loving horse and doesn't have the typical bitchy mare attitude. Sure I put her on Regumate as she was onlywacky under saddle. She was very green broke, but we are working with a good trainer and things are finally coming together.

See, I don't even think mare attitude is typical. Both of my girls are quite lovely, as were my previous mares (Rosette's issues had nothing to do with being a mare). Maybe they are a touch more opinionated than a gelding would be, but totally within reason. Annabelle is actually more fun to ride when she's in heat because she has a little more pizzazz. The stinky hind end that needs to get hosed off every other day isn't great though. Thinking of all the horses at both of my boarding barns, I don't think that there are any more mares with nasty attitudes than geldings with nasty attitudes.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:03 pm

I love the ISO ads that stipulate FEI experience, under 12, bay/black gelding, over 16.2h, with a budget of $10k. Yeah, alright. The horse that has all of that for that budget is guaranteed to have red flags. Otherwise they'd be hawking him for 10x.

And I say this as a person who has had an unrealistic wish list in the past. Something has to give-- age/training/gaits/temperament/soundness/breeding/gender/size/color-- for the budget-buyers.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:14 pm

I have seen some very nice looking horses on the facebook page under 10K. Now, are they really as described??? who knows??

Straightforward - At my prior barn I saw many bitc@y mares - mares that pee in the aisle ways, lift their tails and wink, hate being groomed, charge the stall doors and squeal at nothing.

Thank God my mare does none of these things! So far this year we have not even started the Regumate. Maybe her having a foal has made her a bit different.

I had responded to an ad for a lovely gelding - the ad sounded great - when I called the seller (who was a trainer) she told me all of his faults verbally. Due to her honestly I did not even go and look at him. Some potential buyers probably wouldn't care about his silly faults, but I did. I didn't mind that it wasn't in the ad as your right MC I would not have even called for more info.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 pm

I don't see peeing as bitchy behavior. Unappealing yes, but then so is sheath cleaning. I've never had a mare on Regumate.

At our barn we have one food-aggressive gelding, and another gelding that is happy to run you over should you get in front of him when he's loose.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Hayburner wrote:

Straightforward - At my prior barn I saw many bitc@y mares - mares that pee in the aisle ways, lift their tails and wink, hate being groomed, charge the stall doors and squeal at nothing.

It is natural for a mare to have heat cycles, do you consider having a period bitchy behaviour? you have never seen a gelding stick his penis out and pleasure himself/ is this considered "bitchy" you have never seen a gelding not like being groomed? or some how he gets a pass because he is a male?

how about when a gelding charges the stall door, some how he is exempt because its a he?

geldings charge food, protect their stalls, kick walls, squeal etc too. the only thing your bitchy descriptions do is paint you gender biased, imho.

horses have different temperaments, male and female both, you get stall vices in both genders. most mares in heat behave quite a bit better than unaltered male horses. you should walk into a barn of stallions before you judge mares, remember the opposite of a mare is not a gelding, its a stallion, geldings have already had their hormones altered.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:13 pm

I have to laugh as this was PERFECT when I was searching last summer for a young, barely started warmblood mare of good lines. I simply perused other's ISO ads and contacted those that peaked my interest. Took a long weekend driving trip with a few lined up and worked like a treat for me. Didn't even need to put up my own ad.

It is quite funny. If you had a barn full of 7 year old geldings w/chrome and great temperaments going PSG with talent for more then you'd certainly want more than $10/$15k for your efforts!!!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Aleuronx wrote:I have to laugh as this was PERFECT when I was searching last summer for a young, barely started warmblood mare of good lines. I simply perused other's ISO ads and contacted those that peaked my interest. Took a long weekend driving trip with a few lined up and worked like a treat for me. Didn't even need to put up my own ad.
That would have taken you a lot of perusing then. What I see is someone puts up an ISO ad, and everyone with a horse for sale responds no matter if it meets the searcher's criteria or not. For example, someone wants 16.2+ gelding and someone with a 16h mare will respond. The more basic the ISO, the more the replies.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:56 pm

musical comedy wrote:What I see is someone puts up an ISO ad, and everyone with a horse for sale responds no matter if it meets the searcher's criteria or not. For example, someone wants 16.2+ gelding and someone with a 16h mare will respond. The more basic the ISO, the more the replies.

I was reading one of those and the op actually answered some of the offers with, "how is a 16hh mare the same as a 16.2+hh gelding", and similar. :-)

I suppose if someone answered with something like, "if you don't find your unicorn please contact me, as I have some horses for sale in your price range", that might make some sense?

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:46 pm

musical comedy wrote:That would have taken you a lot of perusing then. What I see is someone puts up an ISO ad, and everyone with a horse for sale responds no matter if it meets the searcher's criteria or not.

That was the best part! Surprisingly no!! There were several ISO ads with 50+ replies that I just clicked through making note of what I was looking for (mares) even though most of the posts as you noted ‘prefer geldings’. I sent messages to those I was interested in if the ones they posted were still for sale and went from there.

The mare I purchased was from this exact search. Breeder had posted her as reply to an ISO but the mare at the time hadn’t been started, when I contacted at the start of summer she had been undersaddle 2 weeks.

In the terms of Bookface advertising sometimes the ISO is handy, not just to the poster but to others. (Although the search functionality has been improved...)

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:03 am

Aleuronix, I agree that ISO is handy. Another way it is good is if you are trying to sell a horse. You can see who is looking (although some are just window shopping) and then PM directly if you have a horse for sale they may like. I admit, that that when times are bad I want to sell my mare, so I go looking at the ISO to see if there would be a match. Sadly, no. Nobody is looking for a horse that has a spook, albeit mild and especially not if they are a lower level mare.

I am the world's worst person to sell anything because I am brutally honest. Most here know that trait of mine.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:29 am

musical comedy wrote:I admit, that that when times are bad I want to sell my mare, so I go looking at the ISO to see if there would be a match. Sadly, no. Nobody is looking for a horse that has a spook, albeit mild and especially not if they are a lower level mare.

I think sometimes we forget how we felt about spooks 20 years ago compared to how we feel about them now. Most riders are 20 years or more younger than we are, and many of those riders would feel the same way we did about the spooking (nbd).

I think when a seller mentions any fault at all the buyer goes right to the worst case scenario and imagines a scared silly horse who will seldom be able to get around a test without spooking, which is the reason I might not even mention the mild spooking unless the potential buyer was older and it might be a big deal for them.

Did the previous owners mention the spooking when you bought her?

A friend of mine recently bought what should have been a suitable horse for her. She's early 60's and a beginner, so bought a 20+ year old Fjord mare. The mare was in training and was sold as beginner safe, but as it turns out she can not only get aggressive when provoked, but she's spooky, too.

The owner has had quite a few trainers ride her and they think the mare is just fine, although I'm not sure any of them have actually experienced any of her big, quick spooks.

The first time I saw her she was in her own pen and was scooting and spooking at noises in the barn, which sent up a red flag for me. She is quiet (lazy/shut down) when she's calm, but she can go from calm to apparently terrified in an instant, and her owner just came off her again recently because she spooked at someone moving a ladder 200' away.

Her previous owners are finding it hard to believe that the new owner is having so much trouble with her, but I think they may be missing that the trainers they had riding her before they sold her were young and experienced, and the new owner isn't.

I am the world's worst person to sell anything because I am brutally honest. Most here know that trait of mine.

I prefer that trait, but most buyers don't expect brutal honesty from a seller so aren't going to believe the "mild" part. They're more likely to think that you brought it up to cover yourself in case someone gets hurt when the horse goes ballistic.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:22 pm

Chisamba - I was blessed with a gelding that did none of what you mentioned. I have only recently been around one stallion who had perfect manners! I've cleaned his stall a few times and I didn't even know he was a stallion until someone told me.

I've boarded at barns with both mares and geldings - and have limited experience dealing with other peoples horses, but the mares have been the wall kickers, the cranky ones at dinner time, the squealers. I really didn't see this behavior from the geldings.

My horse life has been way more sheltered than yours! You have much more experience than I do. So I can only comment on what I have been around and it's limited.

I was gender biased until I bought my mare. I'm now more open minded to them, if I was still at the same barn that had more bit@chy attitudes from the mares than the geldings I'd probably think my mare was 1 in a million! LOL......

What scares me now is that some barns that advertise stall space won't take mares.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:41 pm

At our barn, we're split 4:2 (mare:gelding). The one who squeals and kicks in the stall? Gelding. The herd boss? One of the mares. Who regularly squeals and kicks in the field? Boss mare and the kicky gelding. The three who crowd and clang the gate when it's time to come in? The boss mare, plus both geldings. Which horses will pester you in the field when you're trying to bring in your horse? The boss mare, plus both geldings. Note: three of the mares don't bother anyone. And, truly, all of our herd are extraordinarily well mannered in the greater scheme of things.

The above has held true across all of my horse ownership, and many barns: gender and manners are unrelated.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri May 03, 2019 4:44 pm

This ad I saw today. :o

Casually ISO filly or colt (gelded ok) weanling-4 years old for my next project. Must be on east coast, preferably in New England/NY. Good brain a MUST, as well as excellent movement for dressage, and must pass PPE. Budget of $4k, with room in budget for ppe/shipping. NO imports. Andalusians, Lusitanos, PRE, and crosses welcome. Not interested in Arabs or OTTBs

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 pm

And good luck to them, lol
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat May 04, 2019 1:26 am

:lol: :lol: I wish I would have known I could have bought my 5 year old Andalusian that came with a perefect PPE for 4K! :lol:

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat May 04, 2019 2:53 am

musical comedy wrote:To veer off from that subject while I am on a soapbox of bitching, why do people not put the link to the video in the ad. Why do people have to say "may I have a video" and then get replied "video sent". Wouldn't it be easier to just put the link in instead of replying to various inquiries? If I ran those websites, I'd delete every ad that didn't have price, video, and important particulars in it.

This drives me crazy, along with no location. I have an ISO up now, specifying, among other things, must be located within a few hours drive of NE Ohio.

Seller: "I have the perfect horse for you!"
Me: "Where is the horse located?"

Seller 1: Idaho
Me: :?
Seller 2: Western Canada
Seller 3: Wellington
Seller 4: The Netherlands
Me: :shock:

Seller 5 (my favorite): "Connecticut"
Me: "Thanks, too far away"
Seller: "It's worth the trip"
Me: "Thanks, too far away"
Seller" "It's an easy drive"
Me (to myself) "Fine, hitch up your trailer, load the horse, and make that easy worth the trip drive to me so I can try your horse. If I don't like it, you can make the easy drive back to Connecticut."

What is wrong with these people?

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Sat May 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Related to all this...why is it so hard to find a horse locally or, at least, a reasonable (2, 3 hour) drive? It's so depressing to drive to see a horse and not have it work out. I'm excited to go (heck, I wouldn't be going if I wasn't), and then there's the drive home

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat May 04, 2019 3:17 pm

Related to all the above - video and photos that are not current. A while back I viewed a lovely video online and recognized the professional rider who presented the sale horse. When I found out this horse had returned from FL I decided to check him out. I barely recognized the animal and realized the video was taken a few years back. The agent was very cagey when I attempted to get more information about time period between the video ride and an eye injury. If I had driven hours to view this horse I would have been quite rude to this agent - but since local I kept my lips zipped.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”