Horse show snacks

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Horse show snacks

Postby Ryans Friend » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Showing this weekend and I don't want to make the mistake I made last time: riding while starving. (They do sell burgers and such but I may not be able to leave my guy long enough to purchase one.) What snacks do you like to take to shows?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Horse show snacks

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:15 pm

I don't show, but snacks that are good for you would be string cheese, almonds, assorted fruit (apples, bananas), yogurt, cottage cheese, and plain roasted/grilled chicken or turkey breast. You can buy packages of those--no need to cook. You want higher protein and lower fat. Stay away from crummy carbs (chips, etc.). Water--stay hydrated.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm guessing the weather is cool/cold where you may be showing. I might consider a small thermos of hot soup with your sandwich. Maybe hot thermos of hot coco too besides water.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Nuts, dried fruit, healthy no nitrates jerky (Nicks Sticks Turkey), shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds.

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:50 am

Thanks! So far I have water, V-8, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Nuts and string cheese are good ideas. I am a foodie but just drew a blank on ideas.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:48 am

Hard boiled eggs are good too.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Yes to the boiled eggs. Boiled eggs in adobo.

And esp if you get performance anxiety- bananas!
http://www.healthextremist.com/banana-a ... r-anxiety/

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:08 am

I like to take Nutbars along as a snack while doing a half day or less showing or riding etc as a handy quick fix for hunger and as an energy boost.
- it's a type of muesli bar we have here with lots of nuts, dried fruit and chocolate... one can never have too much dark chocolate :lol:

I usually pack my horse truck with lots of water bottles and electrolytes - especially if it's hot I try to have at least one lot of electrolytes and I drink lots of water.

I have a full pantry in the accommodation section so can have a wide range of things there to munch on if needed, but tend to stick to things which won't spoil if not refrigerated and which will give a good energy boost like the Nutbars above. If I'm away for a full day I try to take a packed lunch usually some sort of bread roll with cheese, tomatoes, salami etc, or something like bacon and egg pie, plus fruit and then I keep the fridge running all that day to keep it all cold. 8-)

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:53 am

What is string cheese?

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:18 am

I think string cheese is a variation on mozzarella: it is rich, buttery, a bit bland but satisfying in that buttery mozzarella kinda way. And it is made so that the proteins break into "strings" like a braid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_cheese

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be hitting the grocery store tomorrw! (Now I need to find where I stashed my show saddle pads!!)

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:21 am

Oh geez and I need that recipe for bacon and egg pie!!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”