trailers and SUVs

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

trailers and SUVs

Postby blob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:49 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this question, so I'm defaulting to the OL.

I don't have a trailer, so when I need to get my horses somewhere, I either get a ride with a friend or I hire someone to haul. I don't mind paying the money to get hauled to local shows, but lately it's also been hard at times to find someone available for local hauling on show dates. I'd also love not to feel dependent on someone if I need to get my horse to the vet's clinic or if I want to do something casual, like trailer off property for trails.

Practically and financially buying a truck as a second vehicle right now would be difficult. I have access to an SUV (a range rover), that I could have a trailer hitch attached to and use for hauling. But I wanted to get other's thoughts on trailering with an SUV versus a proper truck.

If I bought a trailer, I'd be looking for a smallish two-horse, preferably with some tack/storage space, but I could certainly do without it. My horses are on the small side (under 2000 lbs together), but I'd want to be able to haul one of mine + a normal sized horse and not be restricted to a 'ponies only trailer' situation. I'd be using this only for local hauling--the show grounds I go to are about 30 miles from the barn. And the farthest place that might end up in possible rotation (though I hope not), is the nearest vet hospital (80 miles).

Anyway, curious on thoughts/experiences on trailering with an SUV. Does this vehicle seem suitable for my needs? Is it worth getting a trailer? Or should I continue to hire hauling until I'm in a situation where I can buy a truck.

Josette

Re: trailers and SUVs

Postby Josette » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:20 am

https://equusmagazine.com/management/yo ... icle-14716

Shopping for a Towing Vehicle
Consider these 7 features when shopping for a vehicle that can safely and comfortably haul your horses.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:03 am

I used to haul my 2-horse BP Hawk trailer (no dressing room) with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. It’s maximum tow rating was 5,000 lbs, and it had a short-ish wheelbase. The trailer weighs ~2,500 lbs. My horse weighs ~1,700 lbs. For those reasons, I never hauled more than one horse to keep it well under 80% of the max tow capacity. It managed ok.

However, then I bought my current truck, a Ford Excursion diesel (which is basically an SUV version of a Ford 250). It has a tow capacity of 11,000 lbs. It was NIGHT & DAY better to tow with.

So, be careful with smaller SUVs, especially with shorter wheelbases. They aren’t ideal tow vehicles, and you’d probably want to stick to 70% of the tow capacity to keep it safe.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 am

I might consider it with a Brenderup type trailer, depending on the towing capacity of the Range Rover, if I didn't have to travel any major hills.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:03 am

Y'all would be horrified to see what we tow with (disclaimer - I'm all about safety... but... much like the UK, we don't over-horse our towing capacity).

It is most common to have 2h BP floats (usually straight, sometimes angle load). 3h are becoming more common, but are still not the norm.
We would most commonly tow with an SUV or 4WD "utility" type of vehicle, smaller than a Ford F150... I'm talking Toyota 4Runner kind of size (I have one of those). They get us almost everywhere.

We can't really travel the same distances you can, unless we drive north to south... Journeys would typically be one to three hours for a general competition or clinic, perhaps four to six for the larger (annual/championship-type) shows. Our typical average driving speeds would be in the region of 30/35 to 45/50 miles per hour. Our maximum legal speed for vehicles towing trailers is 90kmph (about 55mph). We have a lot of twisty and hilly roads.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 am

I towed a variety of single horses (occasionally a mare and foal) in a 2 horse trailer with an F150. I personally would consider that minimal. The consequences of a trailer accident are pretty awful. As someone else mentioned, Brenderups are designed to be pulled with smaller vehicles. I personally wouldn't gamble with the physics when you're horse's safety is at risk.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 am

If you have proper trailer brakes and stability bars, towing with smaller vehicles at lower speeds is safer.

I agree with silk.

My boss towed with her Mercedes car. We had a Peugeot we towed a two horse with.

However brenderup type trailers are even easier but rarely available second hand.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks, all. The tow weight for the rover is 7,500 lbs. And the tongue weight is 500.

If I did this, I'd definitely look for a light trailer!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:04 pm

While I personally would not be comfortable hauling with a lighter vehicle than a 3/4 ton truck/SUV I know it is much more common in other countries. I also prefer a GN to a BP after hauling for many years with both. The only way I think it is safe to haul with a light vehicle is with a trailer designed to do so. While Brenderup is the most recognizable of the Euro style trailers there are others that are now being sold in the US:

https://boeckmann-northamerica.com
http://www.equi-trek-portland.com
Fautras is another brand that was sold in the US at one time. I saw them at 2010 WEG.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm

I know you want tack storage, but I absolutely would not get a tack room if you're planning on an aluminum trailer -- too much weight AND length for the shorter wheelbase. Stick the tack in the backseat of your tow vehicle.

And get a weight distribution hitch.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:07 pm

blob wrote:Thanks, all. The tow weight for the rover is 7,500 lbs. And the tongue weight is 500.

It isn't all about tow weight IMO. Nor it is all about having trailer brakes (required by law). It's always wanting the tow vehicle to be in charge, not the trailer.

You're towing a live load that moves around, not something that is packed optimally and won't move around.

Short wheel bases would make me nervous. Hauling on an interstate at 65+ mph along side 18 wheelers would make me nervous.

I know I was "over trucked" when I had my F250 and a steel stock trailer gooseneck but man, what a good feeling as I was going down the highway :)

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:06 pm

I haul with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, V8 with tow package. It is rated to tow 7200 lbs, has a 115 inch wheelbase and a curb weight of almost 5k lbs.
The trailer is a 2H straight load aluminum Featherlite, 7 ft high, with an empty weight of 1800 lbs, which is about the same or less than most Brenderup type trailers. No tack room, but some room in the front and I haul tack in my vehicle.

I just haul local, and mostly just my horse. It works fine, has plenty of power, trailer brakes work great. I have not had any issues.
I like not having to maintain 2 vehicles (the GC is my daily driver also and gets about 22 mpg). I like that it is small and maneuverable and easy to drive on country roads. It has been fine at highway speeds (55-60 mph), though I don't think I'd want to go long distance with it.

It sounds like your vehicle is similar, check the wheelbase, I also think that is the limiting factor. You will want a shorter, lighter trailer with adequate braking (electric or inertia).

trucktrailer.jpg
trucktrailer.jpg (169.26 KiB) Viewed 22287 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Eh, I know that some people do this but it's not for me. I have an older truck that I use for the horse stuff that is 3/4 ton Diesel. I prefer to over-kill rather than "underkill" since I have a lot of nerves about trailering to start with

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:28 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:
It isn't all about tow weight IMO. Nor it is all about having trailer brakes (required by law). It's always wanting the tow vehicle to be in charge, not the trailer.

You're towing a live load that moves around, not something that is packed optimally and won't move around.

Short wheel bases would make me nervous. Hauling on an interstate at 65+ mph along side 18 wheelers would make me nervous.

That's not opinion, it's fact. I also had sway/stabalizing bars with the F150. Once or twice over the course of 20 years, I hauled a mid-size WB mare and an Arab horse. The difference with one horse vs. two (~900 lbs) was marked. I typically only hauled ~1200 lb (WB) w/the F150, it was "OK", but it never felt like the trailer weight/handling was negligible. And to imply that because people get away with it makes it safe is erroneous. It's a bit like "positive negative feedback" in avalanche safety. Because people get away with crossing a loaded snow slope that is primed to slide, they think it was safe and they made the right decision. It wasn't, you just happened to hit the empty chamber in the russian roulette game. Experience feedback is always good, but in the end, you need to do the math (and not leave any calculations out) when evaluating the suitability of your plans for safely trailering your horse.

https://www.equispirit.com/info/articles.htm

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Eh, I know that some people do this but it's not for me. I have an older truck that I use for the horse stuff that is 3/4 ton Diesel. I prefer to over-kill rather than "underkill" since I have a lot of nerves about trailering to start with

Yes, definitely. Several years ago I have a smaller V-8 F-150, and it was really underkill with my steel 2 horse slant (even towing one horse). Upgrading to an F250 V10 was a huge improvement. Then I ended up replacing the steel trailer with a 2 horse aluminum, which shaved about 1,200# off, and I'm now comfortable towing 2 large horses locally. I would still be nervous about towing 2 large horses over interstate mountain passes with this rig and will probably get a diesel, possibly a 1-ton, when it's time for this truck to be replaced.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm

blob wrote:Thanks, all. The tow weight for the rover is 7,500 lbs. And the tongue weight is 500.

My trailer is about 3000lbs, plus two fat horses, another 2500 lbs, plus gear, water, etc... The "load" ends up about 6000-6500lbs.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 pm

have any of you seen the roads in england and ireland that you might have to tow along to get to a horse show, you could not actually get a F 250 down the road and around the corners. of course you should not be towing at sixty five on the highway approaching maximum tow weigh. also, i agree, horses carry their weight high and move around. FYI moved horses professionally with my father and brother for over a decade. So its not "postive negative feed back" i have driven a toyota hi lux with a two horse, to a semi with fifteen horses. Thousands of miles, no accidents. the thing with many americans is that they think pulling a horse is like driving a car, i see the trailers switch lanes, ride close to the car in front and go 75 miles down the highway, non of which is safe. Of course they then blame some one else when they have an accident

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 pm

Chisamba wrote:have any of you seen the roads in england and ireland that you might have to tow along to get to a horse show, you could not actually get a F 250 down the road and around the corners.

We have the same kinds of roads. Some of them you are hard pressed to get one small vehicle up, let alone a large rig! We are often parked in paddocks/fields (ie not a parking lot) so you wouldn't get out again if you had too large/heavy a rig. If I drive to my instructors with a trailer, I have to go a different route than if I just drive with a car, as one of the roads is not suitable for vehicles with trailers.

Chisamba wrote:I have driven a toyota hi lux with a two horse

Hilux for the win! I love my Hilux Surf (4Runner)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:43 pm

Chisamba wrote:have any of you seen the roads in england and ireland that you might have to tow along to get to a horse show, you could not actually get a F 250 down the road and around the corners. of course you should not be towing at sixty five on the highway approaching maximum tow weigh. also, i agree, horses carry their weight high and move around. FYI moved horses professionally with my father and brother for over a decade. So its not "postive negative feed back" i have driven a toyota hi lux with a two horse, to a semi with fifteen horses. Thousands of miles, no accidents. the thing with many americans is that they think pulling a horse is like driving a car, i see the trailers switch lanes, ride close to the car in front and go 75 miles down the highway, non of which is safe. Of course they then blame some one else when they have an accident

Sure, then they would not use my truck and those stupid people shouldn't be driving trailers...Its a huge responsibility.

I live in a major urban area so no I don't live on a country lane nor have i ever been to England but I think they might in a totally different scenario.
I pull a trailer like I am driving in the winter snow- slow and easy turning and that seems to work well.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:30 am

Chisamba wrote:have any of you seen the roads in england and ireland that you might have to tow along to get to a horse show, you could not actually get a F 250 down the road and around the corners. of course you should not be towing at sixty five on the highway approaching maximum tow weigh. also, i agree, horses carry their weight high and move around. FYI moved horses professionally with my father and brother for over a decade. So its not "postive negative feed back" i have driven a toyota hi lux with a two horse, to a semi with fifteen horses. Thousands of miles, no accidents. the thing with many americans is that they think pulling a horse is like driving a car, i see the trailers switch lanes, ride close to the car in front and go 75 miles down the highway, non of which is safe. Of course they then blame some one else when they have an accident

I don't do 75, but our highway speed limit here is 80, so it's also hazardous to be doing 55 on the freeway. Somewhere around 65 usually keeps up with the flow of traffic enough to avoid having semis tailing etc.

Moral of the story? Buy a rig that is appropriate for your local hauling conditions. I don't think I'll be bringing mine over to the UK anytime soon.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:55 am

StraightForward wrote:Moral of the story? Buy a rig that is appropriate for your local hauling conditions. I don't think I'll be bringing mine over to the UK anytime soon.

Yup. I ended up with a bigger rig than needed, but smaller than I wanted (F250 long bed + 2H bumper pull w/ weight distribution). I've hauled a 1,800+ mile round trip interstate route multiple times both with my rig and Mom's (Chevy 2500 + 2H gooseneck). Her truck beats mine for creature comfort, but my trailer is lighter, easier to maneuver in busy gas station/Starbucks parking lots, and the horses seem far happier overall with more ventilation.

When my husband and I had to detour off the interstate through twisty, hilly country roads in SW Virginia, my rig handled it perfectly. Between the turning radius, heavy trailer, and 1200# of equine, Mom's rig would have been a nightmare on those busy, narrow two-way -- sometimes only 1+ lane wide -- roads.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:34 am

Yeah I have no interest in hauling in England (though I've ridden horses there) and for the most part my rig would not work over there. I have seen bigger rigs that haul in the UK though. When Elisa W went to Burghley her horse was hauled in a large horse trailer pulled by a "lorry".

Have you ever hauled in Atlanta Chisamba? I know blob has more than likely. I've hauled in and around Atlanta for years and I much prefer my 3/4 ton diesel and GN 2 H rig to a BP. I also prefer a straight load to slant. That is my preference and I have had this trailer since 2001. Though my next trailer will be a 2+1 with dressing room.

I've been run off the road by an 18 wheeler just south of ATL while pulling (ended up in the break down lane), had a big rig try to come over top of me on I 75 thru ATL and got a glancing blow to my horse trailer by stupid idiot driving a SUV while I was hauling 2 horses. He hit my wheel well denting it, found out he was driving with a suspended license (DUI) got hauled off by the cops. He was in the fast lane I was in the slow lane and watched it happen in my side mirror honking my horn the entire time. I haul on back roads all over the SE and interstate as far as IL no issues with my handy GN (much easier to back and turn around in tight places than a BP).

The only way I would haul with a smaller vehicle would be to haul a trailer made for it. I have friends that have Brenderups and have had them for years. I would be looking for a European made trailer to haul, not a US made trailer. They do not need sway bars because of how they are balanced and their braking systems are surge brakes not needing a brake box.

I make no apologies for my preferences in my rig choice. I have come to this conclusion after hauling for many years (over 30) and a wide variety of trucks and trailers. We also have a 20ft flat bed GN that we have had for 15 years now. Try hauling a heavy tractor on a BP flat bed, scary sh*t there.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:35 am

StraightForward wrote:Moral of the story? Buy a rig that is appropriate for your local hauling conditions.

Exactly. Although apparently the devil is in the details.
Last edited by Koolkat on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 am

Thanks, all, lots to think about.

The show ground I go to most doesn't require getting on the freeway, in fact I'd have to go out of the way to get on a freeway, so I would be on roads with 45mph limits. For me, the distances and routes I'd be traveling are relatively easy/short, and my horses are small: 750 and 900lbs. All these are factors I am taking in.

Having done the calculations based on the link Josette shared, I should be well under max with a trailer that is 2,500 or under. I don't know how many trailers will fit that description. But gives me a starting point. and yes, of course would look for trailers specifically designed to be pulled by a smaller vehicle.

Though, I also very much hear the concerns. I will continue to do my research and talk to folks before deciding what to do.

But yes, in a perfect world I would have a large truck and a gooseneck.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:41 am

StraightForward wrote:I don't do 75, but our highway speed limit here is 80, so it's also hazardous to be doing 55 on the freeway. Somewhere around 65 usually keeps up with the flow of traffic enough to avoid having semis tailing etc.
:shock: :shock: 80mph! Omg. I'm like Rye. I crawl along probably being a hazard to others.

I'm one of those lucky ones that has gotten by for 30 years with an inappropriate truck. My truck is a 1989 (yes, no typo) GMC Sierra 1500 2WD 1/2 ton with HD towing package. My trailer is an aluminum with dressage room. I have towed two big horses many a time. However, my driving is limited to very short trips on good roads. Now, if I were to do it over again, I would buy a more appropriate truck. My excuse was not knowing any better. I didn't have internet to ask questions when I bought that truck and relied on the information the dealer gave me.

I know that trucks and trailers are a huge expense. However, it was one of the best things I've ever purchased. I don't know how I managed without them. I wouldn't tow with an SUV with a short wheel base.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:18 pm

I am just going to add my voice to the proponents of hauling horses with a truck and not an SUV. Maybe I am stating the obvious, but most SUV's are built on car bodies. Most are NOT trucks, and maybe a Jeep can tow a boat, but hauling animals that move around and have a high center of gravity is not the same thing.
And yeah, do the math and then "round up". You want more towing capacity, not less.
I am a software developer. You don't write logic for the "happy path". You think of all of the things that could go wrong and code for those cases, and yes the happy path too.
blob, you're smart so I am sure you will do the research and make a safe decision.
Last edited by LeoApp on Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Blob, I don't know your situation and if you even have room to park another vehicle, but sometimes you can get a great deal on older trucks.

We bought a older Chevy 2500HD RWD ext cab long bed with under 100k miles for around $3000 several years ago. We use it as our farm truck. I don't actually have it set up to tow, as towing worries me (see khall's post---all of those things have happened to people and horses I know, too).

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:11 pm

20190411_091339.jpg
20190411_091339.jpg (183.25 KiB) Viewed 22152 times

This is what I use to haul the horses.

I am not a fan at all of using SUVs to haul livestock. I guess it is just the cattleman in me. Feel free to use it to haul a U-Haul or something, but not a living animal that moves and causes unbalance on the hitch. Just not my cup of tea.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 pm

I towed a Brenderup Baron (about 2000#) for 10 years with 2 large horses and a V6 Toyota 4Runner.

Now I tow an Equi-Trek ShowTreka L (about 3000#) with a V8 4Runner.

I tried a 2000# Featherlite once. Nowhere near as comfortable for anyone - just a box on wheels vs the European aerodynamics. Go with a trailer designed to be pulled by less truck!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:09 am

by the way most SUVs are body on frame construction, ie truck chassis, the ones that are not are the crossovers. Range rover is a body on frame construction, as are Escalades, suburbans, tahoes, expeditions, GMC yukons, infinity, jeep wrangler, although short wheel based, nissan armada and toyota sequois.

I towed a three horse bumper pull with my F 150 ford truck for a few years, yes with three horses. again, towing with respect to the load you carry, so the poor beasties are not tossed around like waves.

I think that an occasional short trip on low speed roads is a different perspective than hitting the highway. You can use a trailer designed to be towed by smaller vehicles, if that is what you are limited to, do not buy a heavy old kingston if you are towing with a smaller vehicle. Use a commercial shipper if you are going to be sending your horse down the highway. But, short trips, show grounds, smaller roads, the vet if needed, can be safely negotiated with care, correct braking, correct hitching, and the right kind of trailer when using a vehicle at close to its maximum tow rating

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 am

There are basically no trucks here in germany. There seems to be no market for them. Businesses drive all kinds of transportes (VW Ts are most common but any other brand will do). People drive the average car, SUVs are very common, and of course those are used for towing.

Two or even 1 or 1.5 horse trailers (Boeckman, Westfalia, Branderup, IforWilliams type) pulled by everything from VW golf (station wagon) to Mercedes and a lot of SUVs are the most common. Professionals will of course often drive the big "lorry" kind transporters. Huge trailer/truck rigs are very rare. There is also a 80km/h or 100km/h (50/60mph) speed limit for trailers (depending on the trailer).

My "emergency" vehicle to pull is my small toyota Rav4 (awd). It can do one horse in a 2 horse trailer which is enough for me to get my horse to the vet hospital when needed. I don't show and don't own a trailer.

With the distances you are planning to drive, a "euro" style two horse trailer, and if the SUV is up to it (on paper) I would not have an issue. But like people said before, do what's most appropriate for your area.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:49 am

https://www.equispirit.com/info/article ... ehicle.htm

This site is an excellent source of information. The below is an excerpt from an article.

Choosing a Tow Vehicle - It's All in the Numbers
………………………...……………...………...……...
Once you know how much your trailer weighs you must add the weight of the horses being hauled in it and any equipment, feed, water, etc. The total is your Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW or actual loaded weight)
For instance, we can start with a two horse tag-along trailer that weighs 2400 lbs. including mats and options. One horse weighs 1000 lbs. and another weighs 1500 lbs. Add 50 lbs. for one bale of hay and another 50 lbs. for one saddle and bridle and a small tack box. The GVW is 5000 lbs. As long as this total is equal to or less than the GVWR you will be within the safety limits of the trailer, but in this case you could not add one more thing to this trailer. (Even though we are using these weights as an example, in reality, you would be better off by getting a trailer with a higher GVWR - at least 7000 lbs.)
Armed with this information, you are ready to go shopping for a tow vehicle. Every automobile manufacturer publishes a trailer-towing guide listing trailer-towing ratings for each model. (However, it may be difficult to find one at the dealership) Since many car salesmen are not well educated in towing requirement for horse trailers, make sure you see for yourself that your desired vehicle is rated to tow your trailer. Also, check any footnotes that are written in fine print. Sometimes those ratings are dependent upon certain hitch requirements or extra optional equipment.
So using our 5000 lbs. (GVW) trailer as our example, the tow vehicle must be rated to tow at least that much. Most vehicle ratings are based upon camper and boat requirements on average driving terrain, so remember that towing horses puts more demands upon the vehicle because of the shifting of live animals and the top heavy weight distribution of the horses. Vehicle tow ratings are determined by the combination of engine size, transmission, and axle ratio. (Four wheel drive will not increase towing capacity if the rest of the equipment is inadequate.)
If you choose a vehicle that has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs., you have no room for error. By moving up to a more heavily equipped vehicle, you have added a safety margin. One final rating that must be taken into account is the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (CGVWR) of the tow vehicle. This is the manufacturer's recommended maximum allowable weight for the combination of the vehicle and trailer together.
Usually this includes the weight of the vehicle with fuel and other fluids plus the driver and one passenger. If there are more people aboard plus luggage or other equipment, this weight must be subtracted from the weight of the trailer. For instance: If a tow vehicle has a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 9500 lbs. and the vehicle itself weighs 4000 lbs., a 5000 lb. trailer will sum up to 9000 lbs. However, if there are 3 extra passengers at 150 lbs. each and 200 lbs. of luggage in the vehicle, the combination is overloaded by 150 lbs. (9650 lbs.). At least 150 lbs. must be subtracted from the trailer.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks for sharing that Koolkat!

And don't forget to take into account the insurance of said towing vehicles.... you would be surprised how many people have their towing vehicles registered and insured as plain jane automobiles...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:41 pm

musical comedy wrote:
StraightForward wrote:I don't do 75, but our highway speed limit here is 80, so it's also hazardous to be doing 55 on the freeway. Somewhere around 65 usually keeps up with the flow of traffic enough to avoid having semis tailing etc.
:shock: :shock: 80mph! Omg. I'm like Rye. I crawl along probably being a hazard to others.

But being too slow is also very unsafe and is actually quite dangerous

I have extra insurance on my trailer as a separate part of my policy and USRider.

DH is able to do a lot with my older heavy ass steel trailer. We maintain the floor, put new lights and camera (DH- electrician) He rewired the whole thing and I have replaced the ramp spring. We also redid the bearing on the crank to raise and lower the front stand (not sure the real name).

We deep clean it 2x a year to check it all out and maintain. For what I need it works well. My horse hates trailering so this was chosen for the design (no layout, no mangers, lots of windows and very tall). Its also not as loud and so far it's been awesome.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Hauling with a smaller vehicle is okay - until it's not. When things go south when you're hauling, you want to have some horsepower- no pun intended.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Sometimes I think the only trailer I'd be comfortable buying is a steel stock trailer, given how it is useful for other transit needs and also how it would be some protection against the scary driving around my area. I know multiple people who have had drunk/high drivers glide/scrape/ram their trailers when driving at appropriate highway speeds on a wide interstate. I am lucky in that my horse is very good about trailering in all kinds of trailers (but when she got to ride in the box of a 2 + 1 once, she was like "this is living my best life!").

Then I see what Xan has and I think, now *that's* cool! Did you have to import your Equi-Trek ShowTreka L or is there a dealer in Cali?

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 am

Definitely no tack room imo if pulling with a suv. Sway bars would be a must. I have a 2h straight no dress and an F150 and it pulls great. If I rountinely pulled two horses I’d move up to a 250 though.

I have the F150 eco boost which is also a commuter vehicle. Mpg could be similar to the rover?

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 pm

I have a Boeckmann Portax K (I think. Maybe E. The one with two full size groom doors instead of a door and a second ramp). It is a fantastic trailer, basically an upgraded Brenderup, and I tow with an SUV. I'm a nervous, inexperienced tower who gets spooked at a drop of a hat but this particular combination has in no way, shape or form, ever worried me. I've pulled my Boeckmann with Volvo XC90 (5000 towing capacity), and Range Rover (7500 towing).

I wouldn't pull a regular American style trailer with an SUV, no matter how light the trailer (I've pulled one with a 1/2 ton truck and still have nightmares about that) but I see zero problems towing a Euro trailer with a smaller vehicle. Euro trailers have entirely different weight distribution, brakes and general handling and are meant to be pulled by something other than a behemoth.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Snork wrote:I have a Boeckmann Portax K (I think. Maybe E. The one with two full size groom doors instead of a door and a second ramp). It is a fantastic trailer, basically an upgraded Brenderup, and I tow with an SUV. I'm a nervous, inexperienced tower who gets spooked at a drop of a hat but this particular combination has in no way, shape or form, ever worried me. I've pulled my Boeckmann with Volvo XC90 (5000 towing capacity), and Range Rover (7500 towing).

I wouldn't pull a regular American style trailer with an SUV, no matter how light the trailer (I've pulled one with a 1/2 ton truck and still have nightmares about that) but I see zero problems towing a Euro trailer with a smaller vehicle. Euro trailers have entirely different weight distribution, brakes and general handling and are meant to be pulled by something other than a behemoth.

Snork, if you don't mind my asking--how much did your trailer cost roughly? And where did you find it? Did you go through a dealer?

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:49 pm

I bought the trailer through the dealer in TX. There's another one in MD but TX was closer, and, honestly, gave me a better deal on the particular trailer I wanted (pretty color with a drawing. I'm reasonable like that. HA!)

I can look it up for you but I think at the time (2017) the list price was somewhere in the vicinity of 17.5 and I paid maybe 16 because I bought a brand new 2016 model? Mine is upgraded as much as possible though, including a mounting step, saddle holder on the outside etc. Then another 1K to ship it up from Texas. I think one like mine is now past 20K.

I absolutely adore my trailer but sold the horse (leasing now) and I've only used it a couple of times since I bought it. Every time I decide to sell it, I go to visit it, realize that it's really pretty and decide to keep it. I even went so far as to list it on FB once, in a local group, and then promptly forgot about it. I should probably go see if that ad is even up anymore. Did I mention I'm reasonable? :D

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 am

Driving home today on I-90 (main east/west expressway across WA state), we were behind a multi-horse (I think ~5) slant load being pulled by a 250 or 350 size truck/gooseneck. I saw at least 2 horses in it. When we were about 100 feet behind it (we were in middle lane, truck/trailer in right), a rear trailer tire exploded. It must have scared the s*^t out of the horses, it was LOUD. The trailer did some fishtailing, but not too bad. He was able to pull over. Hate to think what might have transpired, if that had happened to an under trucked trailer.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Tue May 07, 2019 5:22 am

I have towed with a Chevy 1/2 ton, a Ford Expedition (1/2 ton) and a Ford F250 (3/4 ton). The F250 is so far superior in stability, I would never go back to towing with a smaller vehicle. The Expedition just felt wiggly, for lack of a better term.

When I was a kid, a friend came to shows in her mom's big Cadillac sedan and a rented 2 horse trailer. So it's possible lol.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Just wanted to let anyone know that might be interested is that there is a Brenderup trailer for sale on Facebook Marketplace (at least) in the Seattle area.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:47 pm

What WhereIsMyWhite said is my experience. As a lawyer. Do be mindful of tow capacity. I know you are weighing lots of considerations!

Blob, be realistic as to usage vs. Cost! I had a 3/4 ton BP and steel trailer for my 1600# plus behemoth. After I I purchased my vehicle, I only hauled once or twice a year. That is a lot of expense. Further, the brakes on both the truck and trailer seized (I live in a humid, salt air climate). Just points to think about.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”