Travel insurance companies (for people)

texsuze
500 post plus club

Travel insurance companies (for people)

Postby texsuze » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:22 pm

DH and I are going to Sedona, AZ to visit friends in early May. First time in a few years we've done a trip together, what with critter care and travel preferences.

With elderly cats, elderly horse, and a sick chicken right now, odds are stacking against me for having a relaxing trip, or perhaps even making the trip. We have a very capable, smart pet-sitter but even she can't perform miracles. I've been so busy preparing for this trip (which is sandwiched in between two sets of houseguest visits) that travel insurance fell to the bottom of my giant list.

Do you know if any travel insurance companies allow cancellation refunds (full or partial) or seamless trip rescheduling due to pet emergencies? Would I even be able to take out insurance a mere two weeks before our departure? Thanks for any info.

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Travel insurance companies (for people)

Postby heddylamar » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:16 pm

It may not help for this trip, but I pretty much only fly Southwest due to my propensity to travel (or not) at the last minute. If you cancel a flight, even with only 3 hours notice, those funds can be used for up to 1 year from date of purchase (not date of travel). I take enough CONUS flights, that works perfectly.

Snork
Herd Member

Re: Travel insurance companies (for people)

Postby Snork » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 am

For people emergencies, easiest way to get automatic travel insurance is to use one of the premium cards - Chase Saphire Reserve or Citi Prestige. Travel insurance is included for up to the amount paid with the card (sometimes more) for any interruption/cancellation that is done for a covered reason. As far as I know, pets aren't really covered reasons (family illness and job emergencies are, though). I vaguely remember some veterinary emergency language somewhere but I'd have to look. I don't think even that applied to chickens though.

For pet emergencies I think you'd need to have a "cancel for any reason" travel insurance and those are usually pretty expensive, mostly do not pay out in full and, as a general rule, easier to buy when you purchase at the same time as a trip. It wouldn't be impossible to get one now, just probably pretty expensive.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”