Gwen Stockebrand Has Passed

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Gwen Stockebrand Has Passed

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Only 64. Cancer, apparently a recurrence. She was a fixture when I was eventing, and then moved on to dressage. One of the youngest to ever ride for the USET, and on Bao, a TWH-Morgan, at that! She went through some troubled periods, but my personal experience of her was always of a kind and caring person.

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Gwen Stockebrand Has Passed

Postby demi » Thu May 02, 2019 1:34 am

I was sad to hear Gwen passed. I rode with her in the 80’s. She was a beautiful rider. CdK described her position in one of his books as “supremely elegant”. That’s how I remember her.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri May 03, 2019 3:26 am

My first exposure to 'real' dressage was when I got to tag along with a fellow rider that went to the Regionals in Santa Rosa...way back in the day (80's).
Idaho was pretty elementary in dressage back then. Very few upper level riders.

Gwen was a very elegant rider and I remember coming up to one of the covered arenas and just waiting outside as I didn't want to pop in the the middle of a ride. Gwen was riding and just listening to her ride was like having a metronome in motion.
The gaits were so even.

Gosh, she was only a year older than me. RIP Gwen

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Sat May 04, 2019 4:36 pm

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby demi » Sun May 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Its early Sunday afternoon. I rode my horse on the trails this morning and thought about “lifting my upper body”. That’s what Gwen frequently told me in my lessons with her. That still sticks with me after over 30 years because when I got it right, she let me know that she found it pleasing. As I was riding on the trails today, I remembered how pleased Gwen was when I responded to her teaching...it made me feel very nice.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”