The Kentucky Derby telecast

Chancellor
Site Admin

The Kentucky Derby telecast

Postby Chancellor » Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Anyone watch? I am so disappointed every year in it. When ABC had the coverage it was earlier in the day for one. But it was all about the horses. I mean, do we really care where the jockeys are going to walk down to their horses? Seriously?
And do I really care about which horse some stupid NFL player thinks is going to win (probably based on the horse's name)?
*sigh* Just plain disappointed.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Kentucky Derby telecast

Postby khall » Thu May 09, 2019 1:52 pm

I tend to get there just to watch the race, not all the hoopla before (do we really need 3 hours or so of coverage?). So all of that does not matter to me. I was scared watching this time with the track condition. Messy track. I do like watching the stories behind the horses. Loved the relationship with BB and AP.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu May 09, 2019 3:21 pm

To put the coverage in perspective... KD moved to later in the day to also get left coast viewers.

The stuff we consider "fluff" is stuff that is broadcast to try to appeal to the general public, not the horse savvy viewer (which is really a small % of overall viewers). Maybe by showing where the jocks walk to their horses might get someone a bit more interested in the sport.

The time leading up to the KD is also, I suspect, for the betting public... an hour vs the usual half hour (or so) between races.

The track was no worse this year than last year when Justify won the KD. While I was never on board the Justify train, he won over both slop and dry tracks.

I think Omaha Beach would have done well this year but, we'll never know :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu May 09, 2019 6:34 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:To put the coverage in perspective... KD moved to later in the day to also get left coast viewers.

The stuff we consider "fluff" is stuff that is broadcast to try to appeal to the general public, not the horse savvy viewer (which is really a small % of overall viewers). Maybe by showing where the jocks walk to their horses might get someone a bit more interested in the sport.

The time leading up to the KD is also, I suspect, for the betting public... an hour vs the usual half hour (or so) between races.

The track was no worse this year than last year when Justify won the KD. While I was never on board the Justify train, he won over both slop and dry tracks.

I think Omaha Beach would have done well this year but, we'll never know :)

ABC used to have some fluff too. But not to the extent that NBC does. This is ridiculous. At least they don't have Tara and whatshisname doing the telecast this year. They truly dumbed everything down.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu May 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Although I agree with you about the “fluff” I do know people who like it. One improvement, they are showing more of the lead in races.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed May 15, 2019 5:32 am

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed May 15, 2019 6:41 am

Koolcat - that piece is great!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”