Your favorite luggage?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Your favorite luggage?

Postby texsuze » Mon May 13, 2019 6:48 pm

During an awesome trip to Sedona last week it became apparent that our dependable, years-of-world traveling, excellent condition LLBean pullmans might not be up to the job anymore. The little wheels on DH's piece began to come apart in the Flagstaff airport :D
And we were likely the only folks still traveling with uni-directional wheels, everyone else zipping merrily along with their spinners.

I thought of contacting LLBean to see if there is any possible way we can replace the wheels on our luggage with spinners, but ours are so old I doubt it could be done.

What is your favorite brand of wheeled luggage that might possibly fit into the overhead carry-on compartment, hold up for several years or more, and still be larger than a shoebox?

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Your favorite luggage?

Postby heddylamar » Mon May 13, 2019 7:26 pm

When our old LLBean luggage fell apart just as J arrived in San Diego, I sent him to REI to pick up an Eagle Creek bag. It's been 10 years for one bag, 8 for the other, and even with near weekly travel for several more years, both bags are in fantastic shape.

The LLBean bags they replaced only lasted 3 years.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 13, 2019 7:27 pm

A couple years ago I got a set of Samsonite soft/hardshell hybrid suitcases and love them. They are way lighter weight and more space-efficient than my old roller bag. Bought they at Marshall's, so they were not too $$$. The smaller one is perfect for a normal overhead compartment, and also has a zip expander to fit more stuff. They have a divider in the middle so you can pack one side and zip it closed, while still having access to the other side, which is quite handy.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon May 13, 2019 7:56 pm

I've got one of the Samsonite bags that StraightForward mentions-- I love it, but the wheels did wear unevenly and now it's a big pain to drag around. But the rest of the bag is still great! To its credit, it has been 6 years or something of semi-frequent (monthly) travel for the first 4 years.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 pm

No harm in contacting L.L. Bean. They have excellent customer service.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Tue May 14, 2019 1:32 am

Ditto Eagle Creek. My little wheeled carry on can do for up to 7 days with sensible packing ( I am an expert at traveling light). Sturdy.

I also have an REI Wheely Beast and it is amazing. I got it for a long trip where it needed to be banged around every day for 15 days. Held up great . Holds tons if you are doing a long journey or have odd or overlarge things like poles scopes sleeping bag or tripods it is great. Would easily hold tall boots and hardhat and leave plenty of room for other things

whatever you get, jump now, the Chinese tariffs have hit the luggage industry hard.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue May 14, 2019 1:41 am

I got an Away suitcase, the next to smallest one. It fits an amazing amount of stuff especially if you use packing cubes. It's also very lightweight. My only complaint is the lack of an outside pocket but I always carry a large tote so I stuff loose stuff in that.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 14, 2019 3:53 am

Whatever is on sale and decent quality and recognizably gaudy at TJ Maxx. The airline is going to wreck it anyway. My favorite is a Swiss Army brand--bright blue and just the right size.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 am

I generally do the "on sale and distinctive" sort of selection for luggage, since it gets so abused during air travel. I do love the spinners; however, if you are navigating stairs/uneven terrain with your luggage, something that works as a back-pack is easier (I am very weak in the hands, so I have to think about this).

I will point out that there is some variation between airlines in what is acceptable for carry-on, so it is worth checking your preferred airlines/hub for size requirements. Not all carry-ons are equal in dimensions.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed May 15, 2019 2:42 pm

I am not a fan of spinners. They don't work well on uneven ground like cobblestones. Also the wheels tend to stick out too far.
I love my Delsey Helium. Lightweight with lots of zippers and pockets to help organize your stuff.
Unfortunately for me I am not sure you can even find a suitcase without spinners these days.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”