Help me Horse Shop?!? - Now need help with names :)

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Help me Horse Shop?!?

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:11 am

tlkidding wrote:I got updated video on the 2 year old - search Northspring Acres on YouTube and look for videos for a 2 year old Hann colt or 2 year old Sir Donnerhall. Other than a long neck and small head, he looks decent to me, so I'm thinking I'll go ahead and vet him. If he turns out not to be exactly what I want, I figure I can get him going under saddle next spring and sell for enough to buy another young horse.

I found a video, but he doesn't look small headed. But an incredibly irritating click click clicking by the videographer. Is that him?

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm

I wasn't happy with Ecclestone because there was absolutely no communication from them prior to my getting a call from the driver that he was across the border and a few hours out. During the week prior to shipping I had emailed and called and left voice messages, trying to find out even an approximate ship date, but even though I was the one paying, i.e. the customer, Ecclestone refused to communicate with me. Any information I got had to come through the seller.

The driver was very good and the rig was excellent, but based on the way I was treated I would not use Ecclestone again unless there was no other option.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Chisamba wrote:
tlkidding wrote:I got updated video on the 2 year old - search Northspring Acres on YouTube and look for videos for a 2 year old Hann colt or 2 year old Sir Donnerhall. Other than a long neck and small head, he looks decent to me, so I'm thinking I'll go ahead and vet him. If he turns out not to be exactly what I want, I figure I can get him going under saddle next spring and sell for enough to buy another young horse.

I found a video, but he doesn't look small headed. But an incredibly irritating click click clicking by the videographer. Is that him?

Probably him, there's a 4 1/2 minute video and a few shorter videos. I also think it's raining really hard there and that distorts the sound.

The vetting is today, so cross your fingers everything goes well and I have time to do the wire transfer before my bank's cut off time.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Bought him today. He's super cute and the photos for his coggins make his neck and head look much more proportional than what I was seeing in the videos.

Still trying to figure out shipping - waiting for the border vet paperwork may make me miss Ecclestone's shipping date. I'm waiting on quotes back from Doyle, Perry, and one other.

I'm also checking with 2 trainers I've ridden with and one trainer that works out of the barn I'm at to see if they are interested in making the trip.

I just want him here safe and sound and integrated into his new herd safely.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Congratulations! I'm sure he will arrive just fine. The slow paperwork caused mine to miss two ship dates, but Ecclestone did send him by himself in a huge rig when the paperwork finally got done. It's hard to stay patient. I drank a lot of "Tension Tamer" tea!
Getting off the trailer.jpg
Getting off the trailer.jpg (142.04 KiB) Viewed 21676 times

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:09 pm

So I think I've got shipping arranged. What is the standard for tipping the drivers upon delivery? Is there a formula for how much to tip?

Thanks!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 pm

By the time I went to tip the driver, he was gone! I was prepared to give him $50 for a 6.5 hour 300 mile trip.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Yeah, KathyK! So glad he has arrived.

That has happened to me before with shipping. Now I say something before we are distracted.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Another super dumb question - does the halter he comes off the truck with stay with the horse or is it the shipper's halter and it needs to be given back to them before they leave?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:51 pm

tlkidding wrote:Another super dumb question - does the halter he comes off the truck with stay with the horse or is it the shipper's halter and it needs to be given back to them before they leave?

IME, the seller sends the horse with a super cheap halter that will disintegrate 3 minutes after the horse arrives. So have a new one ready.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:54 pm

All the horses I've seen off or received for friends have had their own halter, not a shipper-provided one.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Mine came with a high quality leather halter. I guess it depends on who you buy the horse from. I think those coming in from Europe generally come with the cheaper halters.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:00 pm

Thank you all.

I don't know exactly what size halter he needs so I've got a few, but I couldn't sleep last night and was imagining him getting delivered in the middle of the night in a thunderstorm and having to try and switch halters not knowing what will fit him. I have no idea if he's going to be really nervous and bouncing around or just a bit overwhelmed and quiet.

I ended up getting up and writing down some reminders/notes of other things to do to prep for him (in case he is delivered in the middle of the night) and reading for a bit before I could fall asleep.

I haven't heard a pickup day from the shipper yet - I texted him yesterday and don't know if I should call today or wait. I thought he wanted to do the trip Wed/Thurs this week but I'm not sure. So obviously I have a ton of things on my mind and falling asleep has been difficult.

Also, I get to (have to) name him with the Hanover Verband in Germany. Name has to start with an S, they've been calling him Sami, which I like and want to keep Sam as part of his registered name. I prefer one word names if possible. So if you all feel like helping out some more. :)

AmityBee
Herd Member

Re: Help me Horse Shop?!? - Now need help with names :)

Postby AmityBee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Congrats on the new horse!

Since he looks to be black or dark bay, maybe the name Samhaim could be fitting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:18 pm

AmityBee wrote:Congrats on the new horse!

Since he looks to be black or dark bay, maybe the name Samhaim could be fitting.

Sorry - ended up buying another one -a chestnut with white on all four legs (again, what what I thinking!?). He's got a big white blaze too.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:39 pm

tlkidding wrote:
AmityBee wrote:Congrats on the new horse!

Sorry - ended up buying another one -a chestnut with white on all four legs (again, what what I thinking!?). He's got a big white blaze too.

Ah, yes. I confused the two new horse/shipping threads, sorry. :) Still, congratulations!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:22 am

Congrats on your new horse!

I am terrible coming up with names, but here are two -
Sam-I-Am
Sambar / Sambhar

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Samaya

Sampan

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:16 am

Samsun

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:51 am

another vote for Sambar/Sambaar

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:26 pm

He arrived! At 1:15 am in the morning and didn't want to get off the trailer/touch the ramp. He is all legs and has so much growing to do. He's super sweet and friendly, but don't touch the hind legs!

IMG956273.jpg
IMG956273.jpg (75.97 KiB) Viewed 21271 times

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:27 pm

Look at that face!!! Congratulations :D

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Glad he arrived safely. Cute face!
Keep calm and canter on.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 pm

tlkidding wrote:He arrived! At 1:15 am in the morning and didn't want to get off the trailer/touch the ramp.
I once bought a weanling and that happened. We ended up backing the filly off. How did you get him off?

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:26 pm

musical comedy wrote:
tlkidding wrote:He arrived! At 1:15 am in the morning and didn't want to get off the trailer/touch the ramp.
I once bought a weanling and that happened. We ended up backing the filly off. How did you get him off?

I thought about trying to back him but wasn't sure he'd ever been manually backed up by a person before, plus the ramp was pretty steep. The driver opened the people door on the other side of the trailer and pushed him with a broom (have heard of using a broom to load, never to unload). As expected, he mostly jumped the ramp; both hind feet landed on it but then he slipped off.

Once off the trailer he was fine leading to the stall - I was afraid I'd have a horse-shaped kite at the end of the lead rope in the dark.

Once I get to know him a bit more and work out his forward and reverse buttons, I'll start practicing loading with a friend's trailer that she keeps hitched all the time and just take it slow.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 pm

adorable! Congrats!

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:21 pm

just an FYI, every single Sir Donnerhall ive sat upon has had an attitude problem. might consider steering clear
"Fix things going forward." LR

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Linden wrote:just an FYI, every single Sir Donnerhall ive sat upon has had an attitude problem. might consider steering clear

You're a bit late. Horse is bought, paid for, and in the barn.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:43 pm

KathyK wrote:
Linden wrote:just an FYI, every single Sir Donnerhall ive sat upon has had an attitude problem. might consider steering clear

You're a bit late. Horse is bought, paid for, and in the barn.

Indeed! And best wishes for tlkidding and her few fellow.

I was reminded of the Sir Donnerhall temperament when I read about a trainer whose horse I know in the Chronicle's Behind the Stall Doors:
https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/be ... -summersby

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:37 pm

Oh, oops. I'm sorry. Best wishes with your new guy!
"Fix things going forward." LR

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks everyone.

Sami got sick July 4th but is recovering well and we've been spending lots of time together during his 2x daily (now only 1x daily) treatment. He was a trooper throughout except for the oral banamine (which is so, so bitter, I don't blame him at all).

Linden, I'd like to hear more about the temperament and attitude issues people run into with Sir Donnerhall I get. I saw a similar post on a FB breeders group, but others raved about his young babies.

He's a pretty insecure horse, low in the pecking order. Right now, he likes to "grow roots" when he's scared, and he'll kind of mentally shut down if you put a lot of pressure on him. However, he's so food motivated, if I've got something to feed him, I can keep him engaged. I'm going to do some clicker training once I find a treat he can chew quickly. My impression is that I won't be able to use negative reinforcement to get him to do something when he's scared. I'm also planning to get some help very early to install some forward/driving/sending from the ground. I think when it comes to backing, installing a very, very good forward button will be super important.

Once he's going under saddle, I figure if he doesn't take well to the pressure of collection for the upper levels, I'll put a change on him and sell him.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:59 pm

tlkidding wrote:He's a pretty insecure horse, low in the pecking order. Right now, he likes to "grow roots" when he's scared, and he'll kind of mentally shut down if you put a lot of pressure on him. However, he's so food motivated, if I've got something to feed him, I can keep him engaged. I'm going to do some clicker training once I find a treat he can chew quickly. My impression is that I won't be able to use negative reinforcement to get him to do something when he's scared.

I had a big white faced, sensitive, chestnut Feiner Stern gelding that was at the bottom of the pecking order in my otherwise all mare herd. He was wicked smart though, and didn't respond well at all to "negative reinforcement", it was a call to arms for him. Clicker training was the best thing I ever did with him, totally changed his attitude and really had him looking /"what do you want me to do?" when a question was posed to him. I highly recommend it. Having survived a wicked fast, athletic bolter of a mare, growing roots sounds pretty good to me!
trouble, anyone(3)reszed.jpg
trouble, anyone(3)reszed.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 20778 times

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:34 pm

tlkidding wrote: I'm going to do some clicker training once I find a treat he can chew quickly.

Clicker training is great for these kind of horses. It kind of "empowers" them and engages them instead of them freezing, having stuff happen to them, and them blowing up. I hope you can make it work for you!

As far as treats, these are what I use, see if they might work for you: https://www.mannapro.com/products/equin ... ze-nuggets

They are so small the horse can chew them quickly, but big enough to be motivating, and you can get a decent amount in your pocket. Every horse I've worked with has found them palatable. Plus they're stable to carry around in your pocket, unlike, say, a wet carrot coin sliver that would rot, or a sugar cube that crumbles. A bag is about $9 and lasts me a decent amount of time.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Kelo wrote:As far as treats, these are what I use, see if they might work for you: https://www.mannapro.com/products/equin ... ze-nuggets

Kelo, are these little discs or are they the cylinder-shaped treats?

I got him to jump up and down a small bank by his paddock by holding his grain and moving it further and further away from him while he ate. When I tried to just lead him, he froze and wouldn't even really look at it or think about how to get up the bank. I've found I can do a lot of "things" to him while he's eating his dinner - stand on a stool and pull his mane, fly spray him, hose him off, mess with his sheath, swing a rope around his legs...He's progressed so none of those are issues even without the food as a distraction.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:12 am

Glad Sami is recovering well! I also have a very insecure, detail oriented horse (tell me what's happening before it happens), so I am watching these ideas :-)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:37 pm

I just so happen to have a couple of the treats in my pocket from when I worked my horses this morning :roll: Pen for scale.
Attachments
IMG_6532.jpg
IMG_6532.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 20715 times

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:33 pm

At first glance I thought it said "Pen for sale." :lol:

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:59 pm

KathyK wrote:At first glance I thought it said "Pen for sale." :lol:

Well, for the right price! :lol: 8-)

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:42 am

Best wishes for you and your new horse. It has always been my motto to forget what the papers say. Just ride the horse that comes out of the barn. I have a Furioso/Absatz/Storm Cat gelding which IME is a match made in Hades. Storm Cats are notoriously tough minded, Absatz are tough and Furiosos can trot in two zip codes at once. None of these sound good to me! Fortunately, the horse is not aware of his bloodlines and is honestly the horse of ten lifetimes for me. Just train him to the best of your abilities, get help when you need it and enjoy your new friend.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Ditto what redsoxluvr said.

Enjoy. I hope he is recovered.

I use the Manna Pro treats for my liberty work. They are very convenient.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”