Advice for first time gooseneck owner?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Advice for first time gooseneck owner?

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 17, 2019 2:34 am

I have wanted a Hawk trailer for years. They are hard to come by out west, but next week I'll be working near one of the only west coast dealerships. Well guess what? They have a trailer with almost the exact specs I want, and I went and put a deposit on it today, and made an appointment to get a gooseneck hitch put on my truck.

This is a 2-horse straight load with a 16' floor (5' dress, 11' stalls).

I think I towed a gooseneck a couple times as a teenager, but otherwise have no experience with them. Is there anything I should know before I pick this thing up next week?

I'm going to look into one of those tailgates with the notches in it. Any other recommended accessories?

Here it is in all its glory:
Attachments
Hawk.jpg
Hawk.jpg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 6233 times
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Re: Advice for first time gooseneck owner?

Postby heddylamar » Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 am

Remember that goosenecks track slightly inside on turns. I learned to essentially pull straight out, then turn, when you're making a right turn. The turning radius will vary based on hauling vehicle.

I hope you love that Hawk! I grew up hauling goosenecks and wanted that trailer, but for various reasons decided to get the bumper pull version instead. The bumper pull version is fantastic to haul, rides well, it's well lit inside and out, and the ventilation is fantastic. And the hay bags are great for long trips -- I hang a small bucket of water in a corner of the bag then pile the rest full of hay. The loading light over the ramp is great. I mostly use it as a spotlight for parking after dark -- I back into a narrow spot between trees and a fence.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 17, 2019 1:42 pm

heddylamar wrote:Remember that goosenecks track slightly inside on turns. I learned to essentially pull straight out, then turn, when you're making a right turn. The turning radius will vary based on hauling vehicle.

Yeah, I'm glad the dealership is in a small town, and I won't have to negotiate anything too tricky on the way home.

I don't know any Hawk owners in person, but all the posts and reviews I've read, people love them. It gets hot here, so the fiberglass roof and wood floor, and extra side vents will be a plus.
Keep calm and canter on.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri May 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Get a hitch with a retractable ball!

Congratulations, its beautiful. Yes, your turning radius can be quite tight. I do fine with a regular tailgate, no notch.

You can turn so tight you will wreck your tires, so don't get too excited >;-

I have driven every rig imaginable all across the country except for an 18 wheeler and would only ever have a gooseneck. Good choice.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri May 17, 2019 3:14 pm

okay, so I am officially jealous, SF. :mrgreen:

I second paying extra for the retractable ball. Makes your hauling vehicle much more useful for things other than hauling.

As far as hauling with it...my BIL broke out the rear window in his pickup the first time he had to back out of a tight spot at a HS rodeo and my friend forgot to drop the tail gate after hooking up and demolished it. That's all I know about hauling with one. :lol:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri May 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Sue B wrote:my friend forgot to drop the tail gate after hooking up and demolished it.

I drop the tail gate and stick a rock at the center to have something to line up with — no smashed tailgates!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri May 17, 2019 5:06 pm

StraightForward wrote:I don't know any Hawk owners in person, but all the posts and reviews I've read, people love them. It gets hot here, so the fiberglass roof and wood floor, and extra side vents will be a plus.

I've hauled from MD to west TN a ton in the middle of July with Mom's Gore gooseneck and my Hawk. After the first trip with the Gore, we've made certain that my rig is the one we're driving in the summer — her Gore has nearly no ventilation in comparison to the Hawk.

Hauling the Gore, every time we opened the door with all windows/vents open it was like walking into a sauna. The horse we were hauling at the time was an old hand — totally relaxed — but was standing there with rivulets of sweat running down his entire body. I gave him a cool water wipe down and dropped the tail gate for more circulation at every stop. Next summer trip with my Hawk on a hotter travel day and less relaxed horse, she was dry except for one stop mid-day.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri May 17, 2019 5:29 pm

When I was hauling I had a 16' (I think it was) Titan steel stock trailer (open box in back) with dressing room. I loved hauling with it over my bumper hitch Hart (and I had an F250 SD 7.3l diesel).

My mare always rode loose in the back and when I got to where I was going, she was always facing backwards.

Drive it around so you learn, as others have said, turning radius and practice backing up as well.

Popping the back window in the truck cab is usually a bigger problem with short beds and not the full 8' bed.

I had a Reese turnover ball. Hitch pin was a breeze. I always kept the ball in a plastic tub in the cab of my truck when the hitch wasn't in use.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Picked it up yesterday, and it is marvelous. Ahh. Just from the 20 mile ride back from the dealership, I can see I’m going to feel a lot more comfortable with hauling on the highway with this instead of the bumper pull. I had the hitch place upgrade my brake controller, which helps too. Other than sharp corners, it doesn’t tow too much differently. It is quite luxe in the horse compartment with the wall mats and thick padding and all. I love it!

Now who needs a nice used Featherlite?
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”