Dear Miss Manners

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Dear Miss Manners

Postby Koolkat » Wed May 22, 2019 6:14 pm

We're having some folks over for dinner Sunday and I have a "to cut or not to cut" dilemma. When you have a piece of meat, a large chicken breast, for example, is it rude to cut it in half for self serving? Nobody is going to eat the entire piece of meat (no teenagers, lol, all oldsters) and I would cut it in half for just us. The intent was to cut it (chicken picante) in the pan for serving one's self. I've seen a debate about this before, maybe UDBB, but can't remember how it resolved.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Dear Miss Manners

Postby Chancellor » Wed May 22, 2019 6:34 pm

I'm definitely not Miss Manners....but I don't see a reason not to cut the pieces of meat. Couldn't they take two pieces if they wanted?

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Usually (because we are both control freaks), we just cut to an appropriate size and plate everyone's dish in the kitchen before bringing it to the table.

In a buffet situation, I would just make the breast pieces smaller. Maybe even less than half-size, as when you are tasting a spread you often want less of everything.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 pm

I would cut to roughly the same size pieces. That seems pretty common for situations like you’ve described. If you don’t pre-portion, you end up either cooking far too much or have guests bartering to share pieces.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 23, 2019 5:17 am

I would cut it into slices so people can take 2-3 depending on how much they want. It can make a nice presentation that way, and be easier to eat as well.
Keep calm and canter on.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm

I think it depends on the size of the breasts. If they're large, like what I'm seeing in the grocery store lately, then yes, cut in half. On the other hand, you could go to the meat counter or a butcher and buy smaller ones, like no larger than 1/3 lb each, and leave them whole. I think that's what I would do.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 pm

How about cutting it before cooking rather than after? That way it just looks like smaller pieces (from smaller chickens?) instead of looking like has been cut for portion control.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri May 24, 2019 5:03 pm

When I was a kid Mom always plated food. Now as an oldster who entertains quite a bit, I almost always serve family style so folks can eat as little or as much of an item as they choose. I vote for cutting before cooking as Mareless suggested.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon May 27, 2019 5:55 am

Cut before cooking, what a great idea!

I think the portion control idea was the negativity in the previous discussion about cutting or not, but you slice roasts/hams/etc., so not sure I get that. Regardless, thanks everyone, it turned out well!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”