Shipper charged my card, but horse hasn't shipped yet!

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Shipper charged my card, but horse hasn't shipped yet!

Postby KathyK » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Is this typical? The Canadian shipper asked me for my credit card information, which I supplied. Today, I see that my card has been charged, but the funds for the horse haven't even transferred yet! I'm really uncomfortable with this. What if, heaven forbid, something happens and the horse winds up never setting foot on the trailer? I'm hesitant to confront the shipper because I don't want to take the chance he will tell me to go pound salt, yet I don't want to pay for a service that hasn't taken place. Halp!

PaulaO

Re: Shipper charged my card, but horse hasn't shipped yet!

Postby PaulaO » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Don’t worry just yet. Quite often credit cards are charged before the goods, in this case your horse, are shipped. Did you get a firm shipping or arrival date?

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:33 pm

No, no ship date. Crikey, the funds for the horse haven't even left my bank account yet! I spoke with the banker today; it seems that this can take up to five business days, so the seller might not have the money until Wednesday.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:32 pm

They charged my card as soon as I gave them the info. I think they also have fees out of that they have to pay for going across the border and so they want to get it taken care of ahead of time. I can't say for sure but they're pretty legit so I don't think you'd have an issue getting a refund from them if something happened where the horse wasn't able to ship.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Since we all used the same shipper, I don't recall the when and where, but I did end up paying a good bit more than the quote.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:54 pm

When Rosette was shipped from Canada, I paid in advance via bank transfer. Hopefully there is something in the contract about cancellation policy, and refunds. Since there are a lot of logistics and fees involved (ag inspection, etc.), I understand why they would want to have the money in hand to minimize random schedule/shipper changes by customers.
Keep calm and canter on.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Ok, I checked my email records and this is a copy of what I sent to the seller regarding shipping fee. I had a box stall in a small gooseneck and it was about an 8 hour drive.

On 12/14/2017 10:19 AM, xxxx wrote:
I got charged $1545 for the shipping. Originally, he had quoted you $1200 inclusive of border fees, etc.
Not your problem, but I just wanted to let you know.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:57 pm

I haven't shipped from Canada in a long time; but, I have had to pay half the fees up front as a deposit with the remainder paid when the horse was picked up to a couple of other well known commercial US shippers.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:24 pm

I feel like test charging for the full amount is fine; I would expect something like half the fees to be paid up front. I would just call them if you have questions. Fingers crossed for everything else!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”