Moving into town

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Moving into town

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:43 pm

I'm rambling a bit here. Looking for people's experiences...

For the last 20 years, we've lived up this peaceful mountain, in our pretty log house, on our lovely, idyllic 30 acres, with my horses out the back and no neighbors in sight. Last spring we sold our business and were thrilled to think we'd actually be able to spend time enjoying what we have rather than never being here.

And last winter it finally caught up with us. It was a horror show of a winter, very cold with many feet of unrelenting, heavy, wet snow. followed by the wettest spring on record and terrible mud and flooding. We all suffered, including the horses. We were exhausted, depressed and hurting at the end of it.

Sitting here now on a pleasant summer day, it's hard to imagine how bad it was, except there's so much work to do to get things back to normal again.

Mr. Moutaineer is 20 years older than me, and fell over skiing last winter and tore his shoulder up and is now potentially facing surgery. He's being a tough guy about the whole thing, but he can't do this forever, and plowing snow is getting to be a major issue. (There is no-one to contract work out to here. It's just the way it is. If we want it done, we have to do it ourselves, or in extremis, rely on the kindness of neighbors, which I just hate to have to do.) I can't run this place on my own, I just don't have it in me.

So we are working on a 5 year plan to "move into town." Mr Moutaineer claims he's not ready to do so yet, but I suspect one more winter like the last and he'll be good to go. I'm busy sorting the house out, throwing things away, fixing broken stuff and making the place more desirable, which needed doing anyway.

By the time we move, I expect I will be down to one retiree horse and my miniature. (Laddie does not feature in this equation, he's too much of a fairy to live anywhere but a heated boarding barn.) I'm rather used to having them living in my back yard.

This afternoon, we are going to look at a house on about an acre, in the heart of a nearby small rural town--the county seat, therefore fairgrounds, rodeo arenas, etc,. Supposedly this is just to get our eye in to see what's available for the money we would be prepared to spend.

Amongst it's many charms (unspoiled 1903 stone cottage, virtually derelict and needs stripping, but very pretty, creek, many mature trees) It has a barn. There are horses living in it. There are horses living next door. It appears to be normal to keep horses bang in the middle of this town. At the moment at least.

It's walking distance from the modern fairgrounds and arenas.

Has anyone actually done this? Downsized their lives? What kind of home did you end up with? What did you do with your horses? What have been the major pitfalls?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Moving into town

Postby Tanga » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:22 pm

I have not done this, but sort of have been thinking of not doing it. I do not have a large amount of land where I can keep my horses. but, I have a home in a very crowded suburban area and board horses. As we thinking towards retirement and maybe moving, everyone always says we can get property and keep the horses there. No.

I think towards what you have. It's a huge amount of work, and gets scary as we get older. And it's a lot cheaper and less risky to find a nice boarding situation. And if you're like me and show, having someone else maintain arenas and such is much cheaper.

Do you want to keep your horses with you in this place, or are there options for boarding where you don't have to be there every single day to do the work, feed, etc. That would seem to be a huge relief to me. And you could do things like travel and go away for a few days without having to worry about what to do.

I think small is the way to go. As we get older we don't need a lot of stuff, but need what makes us happy and doing the things we like. I would just make sure you don't get such a project that you can't do the stuff needed to make it livable for yo.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:50 pm

I'm another who hasn't done it (we're only in our 40s), but having watched elderly family and friends go through this, I'd make the move now while you can still make your own choices and build a new community.

While you're looking, keep accessibility in mind -- wider halls/doors, single floor living, covered parking (no snow to clear if you have to leave the house) etc.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:13 pm

One acre is too small, you need at least 2 if you want to have a retiree and mini and not have your neighbors all up in your business so to speak. We only have 12 acres but I plan on selling if dh dies before I do. I used to have a little over 2 acres and found it easy to keep up, especially with the neighbor boy coming over and mowing my lawn. The advantage of living in or on the edge of town, is there are lots of teens available for lawn and snow duty (not so much on the side of a mountain.) When I was in college, my folks tried moving into town to a one acre lot--Mom loved it cuz she could walk to the store and all, dad hated it cuz the neighbors were simply too close by. Two acres would've been perfect for him.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:28 pm

In our retirement planning discussions, Mr. Piedmont and I debate the rural/town plan. We have been living in the countryside (probably more accurately called the hinterlands) for nearly 30 years in a few different houses. We both love the peace and quiet, and the feeling that we get to go home to our "vacation house" every evening. We do most of the work ourselves; yet, it is becoming more of a challenge even in our 50s, due to work demands (lots of travel) and my limited abilities (due to disease). Still, we can get it done at this point in the south where we don't deal with snow or extreme temperatures.

I think if we retire in our earlyish 60s (one possibility), we could do about 10 more years in the countryside, if it were mostly woods or mostly a desert--and easier to upkeep than 20 acres in the south! Then at around 70 we could move to a town with services that offers some walkability/bikeability.

Lately, DH has been convincing me that we should go directly to a town house with a nice yard (enough for a garden, dogs, peace & quiet) and skip the countryside. I think we will spend a lot more money doing it this way, but he is probably right that it is a smart approach. And then we can down-size again from that house as necessary. I'm willing to board while I have horses; in fact, I might even prefer it if we are in a place with decent options.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:19 pm

I would make sure that those other horses aren't "grandfathered" in, and that you actually can keep horses on any property you look at.

We're in your age bracket. It's getting more difficult to keep the farm up. We have 5 acres, and you are right, this past winter/spring has been brutal. I took off one day of work because a flash flood took out my pasture fencing. During the winter I took off two days of work because it was -40 and my horses water kept freezing, in spite of the heaters, so I had to break water every two hours to keep up with it. I'm really, REALLY hoping this next winter is much milder!

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:26 pm

I just recently retired (laid off so decided to stay that way) at age 62 and DH still has a few more years to go. We will consider moving at some point within the next 10 years because of high NJ taxes and congestion keeps getting worse. DH is still able to do the heavy outside work but at some point enough is enough. Besides we do not need a large 4 bed/3 bath house and the stairs are getting tiresome.

I'm down to my one riding pony after loosing my retiree this winter. I plan to stay here as long as I have him and then will be too depressed to have an empty barn and the memories. Anytime I start looking at any sale horses - I smack myself for a reality check.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:54 pm

I got a smart phone today. If I can do that, you can move into town, especially to a charming stone house with a barn.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:37 pm

KathyK wrote:I got a smart phone today. If I can do that, you can move into town, especially to a charming stone house with a barn.

This is why I like this board so much---it is filled with wisdom and encouragement! :-)

M., I will be interested to learn from your process. It is hard to give up a lovely home + peace and quiet, but there can be rewards (or so I hear :? . If my DH were not my age (50s) + also a dynamo of energy (he is hoeing the garden as I type, because it is "down" to 87 + quite a bit of humidity now...vs. 93 and humidity)---there is simply no way we could do this lifestyle. And that is sans chevaux chez nous.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 am

I downsized significantly about 5 years ago. I sold most of my horses except a mare, a foal, and the stinker pony. I went from my small ranch horse operation to 1.25 acres that had a house, barn, riding arena, fenced yard for the dogs - not an inch of that area was wasted on unused area. I later sold the mare and acquired a mustang that anyone can ride. As a result I must confess I am constantly in fear of any injury to the 'foal' now my 5 year old main mount. I don't have the room or time for 'depth in my string so-to-speak' unless I found a suitable solution for the stinker which is unlikely and not something I really want to do. Daily life (chores) is far easier, quicker, less expensive and honestly I am enjoying only having one horse to 'campaign'. The road is much busier and louder than what I was used to and that is the one real down side to my move. I am closer to my aged and ailing mother, which is helpful. I'm also closer to work; but, I miss the peace and quiet and privacy. Lucky for me where I live dry lot is really the only option so horses don't miss acres of pasture. I'm also lucky in that I still have access to trails without hauling but I downsized my rig too which is very handy and keeps me on the road when needed. So, so much easier with one horse on the two horse trailer and my 3/4 ton truck as compared to my previous rig which was much larger and always had at least 4 horses on board. I downsized my professional life as well. It took a while to get to a position where I could afford to do so but the necessity of caring for my elderly parents required that I do so. I work 3 days a week and take care of my mother the rest of the days. My children (adults) and cousin help on the days I work. I no longer am 'in charge' or 'responsible' for the business, animals, etc at work which I didn't realize had taken such a toll on my body. The transition was easier for me than I think most predicted. All-in-all I'm happy and doing okay; but, I STILL HAVE THE HORSES and RIDE EVERY CHANCE I GET so the compromise though painful has turned out to be for the best.

I am mindful of the future especially with turning 56 in a few weeks. I am in the process of selling my mother's house in order to have that money to go towards her living expenses and care and buying her a condominium as an investment for me (rental home) and a transitional step for her as she gets closer to needing more of an assisted living situation. I expect that I will eventually end up moving to the condo when my riding days are over but I hope that doesn't come any too soon. Still I am very aware that the day will come when I likely am not ready or expecting it. My neighbor chose to go the "downsize with horses" to the mini route and still has something to pet; but, even in his mid 80's he's quite capable of getting around and his adult children check in on him often. He too has just over an acre and less to keep up than I have. That is also an option of a stepping stone for me before landing in the condo; but, it's probably good that I have plan A, B, and C ready to pull out and enact when necessary.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:51 am

Well, it was fascinating...the house, while incredibly charming, is uninhabitable as the owner tore the bathroom out 6 years ago and has yet to get round to re-doing it, and it's a complete mess everywhere. Some of it is hilarious--there's a bedroom that has deep, multicolored brown shag carpet, brown-paneled walls, and a sloping ceiling over the built-in black bed that has a checkerboard pattern of mirror and black cork tiles (except he room is covered in shards of mirror,) the "upstairs bathroom" is an amateur-installed basin and toilet up under the eaves... and the kitchen... Whoah! and Holy Popcorn Ceilings. batman! but the spaces are great and the bones are good and it has some really beautiful original features.

And it has a newer roof and windows, a decent furnace and updated electricity and water to the house--though it would need to be completely rewired and replumbed, and is in remarkably solid condition for a house that has been standing empty for as long as it has.

Apparently, way back when, it belonged to an arborist, who was obviously a keen gardener--the yard is also derelict, but has signs of being quite incredible, with lovely mature trees and overgrown garden features everywhere. The property borders a large creek that runs through a grove of cottonwood trees, which need some serious attention, but there is a large area of decorative paving and a big deck that is cantilevered out over the water (this also need some attention.) It's just the most gorgeous piece of property and someone has loved it.

The barn isn't a tenable situation for my big horses, but there's space for my mini to have a nice paddock and shelter, and horse neighbors, if nothing else.

The snag is, (apart from the enormous amount of work and money involved in restoring it all to it's former glory) the owner's in a fantasy land. It's for sale for about twice what it's worth for the area it's in and with all the work that would need to be done to bring it back to livable condition, and he's just dropped it $100K to get to that point. We're going to try a low-ball offer, I think, but it may get us nowhere. Most of our funds are tied up in this house which we can't sell until next year now, so we'd have to empty our piggy banks to a rather frightening degree in the short term to make it happen.

We've spent the afternoon driving around looking at places and really, none of them hold a candle to what this could be.

Yikes! And yes, sensible people would walk away and go buy somewhere modern and easy care, we know.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:17 pm

I semi downsized and now live in a planned community. Omg, I hate it here, but it's convenient to work and to the barn so I tolerate it. I scan the real estate ads all the time hoping something comes up that would make me happy.

Mountaineer, I would probably pass on this house and keep looking for something with less work and maybe a little more space for your horses. My new phew bought a huge house with 7 acres, the house needed work and 5 years later it still needs work. It's a money pit!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Moutaineer wrote: Most of our funds are tied up in this house which we can't sell until next year now
Why is it that you have to wait until next year to sell?

That is something I think about when it comes to selling. Houses around me sell and many for high dollars. They are 'normal' houses though. You know, the 4br 3.5 bath big McMansions. When you have a specialized property like mine, it may never sell. Therefore, if you decided to move and buy something, and the existing property doesn't sell, you are stuck with two places. That is very scary to me.

My thinking is just because you (g) own a farm or a lot of land doesn't mean there has to be a lot of work involved. It's the horses that make the work and the expense. You can just let the land go and get overgrown, which is probably what I'll end up doing when it gets too much for me. That said, where I live there are plenty of senior services and the hospital is close by. The super markets deliver. I don't live in a place where snow is a big issue; actually winter is much less work for me. I have a tiny house. It's probably not even 1500 sq feet. It's like an apartment. So, I can't really downsize much more than this. I probably couldn't duplicate this house for the money I'd get selling the farm. So, I'm here until death or until they take me to a nursing home skilled facility.

The biggest need for me (besides privacy and view) is a house with a lot of windows. You just don't find that in condos or apartments. I live in a glass house pretty much. I have 14 windows in two br, lr, kitchen and two baths. Then I have my sunroom which is all window floor to ceiling. I love it.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:28 am

We sold a 14 acre horse farm surrounded by timberland (very private) and bought a house in town. We LOVE it, me included. DH hated the work and maintenance expense on the farm, vehemently, and I couldn't do it myself. We looked for a long time because it took several years to get it sold, trying off and on. I told hubby, I want a ranch house with a basement on a big lot on a greenspace. He said, well then we'll never move because that doesn't exist. But we found it, and it came on the market the day we had a signed around offer on our farm. The one thing we didn't get is a home that didn't need work, we are tired and we would have loved to just move in a get on with our lives. This house was built in 1957 and we bought it from the original owner; it was exactly as built 61 years ago. It's a wonderful home in a wonderful neighborhood, very convenient to a thriving and accessible downtown, and it will be worth the effort. I have one horse now and she is boarded. After my initial trauma at not being in control lol, I enjoy it. I ride more than I did when she was home. I miss seeing her outside my window, but that's pretty much the only thing I miss.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:40 pm

MC - I'm on the same page about privacy and views. I cannot see myself ever in one of those 55+ brand retirement communities with the homes built on postage stamp lots and no trees. That is what I grew up in - those post war housing developments where all the homes looked alike.

However, you made a critical point about access to healthcare and services which would allow you to be independent. I've read on retirement sites of folks downsizing to areas for lower taxes and cheaper living, but there is a sacrifice made in access to these services. BTW - your house sounds ideal regarding it's size. Some folks downsize simply because their homes are far too large to maintain once children are gone.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Josette, those services and healthcare options are at the forefront of my mind currently. The condo I'm trying to purchase for my mother is within walking distance (1 block or less) to her drugstore (she has a long list of prescriptions), bank, grocery store, vet (no she doesn't use me except for emergencies), groomer, restaurants, doctors' office, cleaners and the library. Because her driver's license was medically suspended she has been dependent on me and my family (kids, cousins and their children) to drive her around because she refuses to use uber, a smart phone, etc. She is able to get around relatively easily despite her stroke which really affected her ability to make quick judgments (prioritizing) and short-term memory yet is sharp as a tack in most cognitive areas. As a result she's been extremely frustrated with life as she's knows it now. I need to cut down on the upkeep of indoors and outdoors for her which is why a condo seems best. She has always hated the concept of an age-restricted community. This particular condo set up isn't age-restricted however there are numerous retirees that live there as well as a few young families though it's very quiet. It's the best compromise I can find. What's even better is that many of those who have retired there are from the twin cities which is where my mother grew up so it gives her something to easily talk about with them. I'm all for privacy; but, at the same time I need to make sure I have a network to keep an eye out on my mother and a community to give her reason to be involved in life. Depression has been all too real for her. First with being my father's primary care taker for several years which became very isolating and now with it still being less than a year since he's past. They were married for 56 years. She is more comfortable with the idea of a condo and me hiring help to check on her as opposed to moving into a tiered retirement home.

Right now outdoor work on small acreage is good for me and I can still physically keep up with landscaping/gardening and taking care of three horses; but, facing these issues with my mother who is 81 really brings home the need to only plan but face reality much sooner than I would like. Losing the ability to drive really cuts down on one's options even with all the services available to bring "it" to your door.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:24 pm

exvet - what you described for your mother really does sound like an ideal situation. It does sound like a very viable and positive environment for her and close by for your family. It is excellent that she is still able to walk and communicate so well.

My sister and I went through hell last year with our elderly mother (age 92) who was very unreasonable about leaving her home, stop driving or allowing home health aids in. When a minor car accident got her driver's license taken away - only then was her younger brother (age 83) able to convince her to enter an assisted living apartment nearby. Between her severe arthritis and difficulty walking plus vision impaired this was the best solution for her. It was impossible for us to constantly go to her home daily - she needs to be somewhere so assistance is available 24/7 with a medical alert bracelet. We sold her small home to fund her assisted living apartment which is a monthly rent. These sadly are the reality some of us may face with parents or ourselves. My parents never made any plans or savings until the situation arose and family was forced to make the decisions for them.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:54 am

Well, we put in an offer, but I'm not holding my breath... We've got a bit mentally invested in it, though.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:48 am

I guess in some perverse sense I was fortunate. My father suffered from several catastrophic health events that allowed us to 'prepare'. I grew up with him coaching me on what to do because in all honesty he never thought he'd live beyond the age of 40. My parents are also veterans so they were able to take care of all their funeral preparations affordably. As expected my father died before my mother. As a result there was much put into place. The 'relatively' unexpected was that my younger brother cleaned my parent's retirement savings out and is still asking for his 'just due'. Of course he did this after my father was mentally impaired. My mother is reticent but somewhat cooperative because I've been 'coached' all these years and she knows it. It could be worse but for those of us who end up being the caretakers it forces us to face our own mortality. My main prayer/wish is that I die on horse back or suddenly. I never want to place the same burden on my children; but, again I've been coached from a young age to be 'prepared.' My grandfather died at the age of 39 when my father was only 13. It's a legacy well known throughout time for my father's side of the family. In some sense I have my genetics to see me through and hopefully spare my children of the same burden.
Last edited by exvet on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:56 am

Mountaineer - hoping you get good news at least a dialog for negotiations. My sister bought a beach house a few years back in a nearby town. These are older homes from 1920's with old wiring, pipes and that lathe (spelling) behind the plaster walls. Positive was gorgeous wide plank pine floors, a beautiful claw foot bathtub and small garden yard. The three BILs did a gut job over the summer months and then my sister did her magic decorating touch - WOW! It was an investment that can be enjoyed and has almost doubled in value. The taxes are the only negative but in NJ many shore homes are purchased by wealthy NYers for weekend retreats.

exvet - our father passed a few years back after spending the last 5 years in a nursing home. He became completely disabled after multiple strokes over the years. Prior to his admittance my mother was his primary care giver and it was a bad situation living with a very angry disabled person. (He also refused to leave the house until he was physically carried out after the last big stroke.) He was a very controlling person and we had to pay a lawyer $$$$$ for POA to access his savings to pay for the nursing home. Those little savings were wiped out within 2 years and then he transitioned to medicaid. My mother was allowed to stay in the home and lived off his small pension and her tiny social security. So the house was her security and we used it for her transition into assisted living. Some folks are less lucky.....

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Timely thread for what I am going through with my parents right now. Instead of moving them into town though or into a retirement assisted living place we are building an apartment behind our house on our 40+ acre farm. Neither of my parents wanted to move into an assisted living facility, neither are ready yet for dementia type care (though both have been diagnosed, they are still able to live by themselves right now). Neither drive anymore (my dad is NOT happy about it either) so usually I am the one to take them places and I always go to the doctor appointments with them. We do have an old family friend that is helping out with some driving to grocery and other errands once a week.

My sister and I share POA on them both, I am on all of the bank accounts etc. We expect to have to take over even more chores when they move here. Hoping to have the apartment built in a couple of months, they are pouring the slab today. Slow start for various reasons but now seeing some progress.

We do (mom and dad) have money to hire help when we need to. Have told both mom and dad we will keep them out of a facility as long as we can.

I know my parents will be happier here on the farm, less isolated and able to help around the farm like they have since we bought the land. Dad's health is more precarious with COPD, O2 24/7 and other issues that have had us in multiple doctors and ER in the last several months. Mom is still very healthy physically, mentally there is definitely an impact.

Like exvet my sister and I are having to face what our possible future will be. One of the reasons I am trying to get more healthy and eat better (MIND diet). My DH and I talked about many things before we ever got married, retirement though was not one of them! I think that needs to be something to discuss for sure. I am not much for city living though this big farm is a lot of work even for Kevin and I. One thing though will have a caretaker living area if we ever get to that point when my parents go (they are in their early 80's).

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Oh well, it looks like we lost that one. Someone offered a lot more money than we were prepared to pay. But it is subject to due diligence, so I guess you never know...

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:13 am

Sorry...but you never know.

My first house...I drug my feet and boom...sold. It popped back up on the market about 3 weeks later. Still drug my feet and yep, sold again or so I thought. Again, 3 weeks later, it was back on the market and owners were a bit desperate since they had made an offer on a new house with no contingency :roll: . That work out well for Susan. Just keep watching.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”