Real Estate Discussion

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Real Estate Discussion

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 pm

musical comedy wrote:Why do you not want a roof or a covered arena?

A large part of the joy of riding for me is being outside, even in the middle of the winter. In 30+ years, I've only ridden in 2 indoors that didn't feel extremely claustrophobic and weren't dank or dusty — and that's including at some high-end farms ($2000+/month board). I'd rather have a field to ride in (and have done so at one barn) than ride in an indoor.

As for the bathrooms at the 4 acre farm — those clawfoot tubs were one of the positives of that house!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:38 pm

Hmmmm. You all are making me feel better too. My 5 acres and 2500 sq foot house property taxes at a little over $5000 annually. I thought that was rather miserable.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:19 pm

As I tell northerners who are excited about coming to Tennessee, the land of few taxes: Enjoy, but don't expect any services.

Property taxes for us on 20 acres with a decent home are around $1500 (includes an ag exemption; without it, taxes would be more like $3000). And there is no state income tax. They used to tax investments in TN, but they are getting rid of that. Sales tax is of course very, very high.

I actually thought that $40k in taxes on that equestrian estate was the old tax bill---not the current assessment! It did not seem that bad... (I mean, if you can afford a multi-million dollar property, I think you can afford 10s of thousands in taxes).

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Piedmont, those taxes are heavenly. NJ has a graduated state tax based on income, but SS and retirement income can be excluded. Our sales tax is 6.6%. We don't have a local tax, which I think you do. LOL, yeah what's 40k when you have millions.

What do you all think of this little property?

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 4502-37602

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:56 pm

I think that is a really beautiful property (views!) and I do like the neatness and more contemporary house. I even like the galley kitchen with the dark cabinets because the counter tops are light color. I like the long bank of window in the kitchen. Windows are a high priority plus I hate window treatments - I like them bare with views. (no nearby neighbors) Plus I really like the hardwood floors and fireplace in the living room.. I have to look closer because I think I missed a riding ring - which could be added. Again. NJ taxes around $11K per year.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Josette wrote:I think that is a really beautiful property (views!) and I do like the neatness and more contemporary house. I even like the galley kitchen with the dark cabinets because the counter tops are light color. All the windows are lovely and I really like the hardwood floors. I might miss some big trees would be the only negative for me. I have to look closer because I think I missed a riding ring - which could be added. Again. NJ taxes around $11K per year.

The reason I put that up is because it is about the closest to my place that I could find. I mean, only the 2BR and 1.5 Bath. Usually the horse properties have large houses. Mine inside isn't as nice as that one, but could easily be if I was willing to put some money into it (which I'm not :D ). That said, my property is nicer, and certainly much bigger, and I have the indoor. I would hope I could sell for the $575 figure IF I wanted to sell, but who knows. I'm glad I'm assessed low, because the assessor didn't seen the indoor as the value I do and then the land is farmland assessed.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:20 pm

farm5.JPG
farm5.JPG (168.38 KiB) Viewed 14039 times
farm3.jpg
farm3.jpg (206.43 KiB) Viewed 14039 times
farm4.JPG
farm4.JPG (198.69 KiB) Viewed 14039 times

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 pm

more pics
Attachments
indoor1.JPG
indoor1.JPG (139.55 KiB) Viewed 14039 times
barn.1.jpg
barn.1.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 14039 times
farm.2.jpg
farm.2.jpg (37.32 KiB) Viewed 14039 times

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:42 pm

If those previous pics are your property - it is GORGEOUS!!!! It is worth WAY MORE that you think imo! The value is in the land and the house could be modified by a future buyer. Your area is so lucky to be on the edge of the intense congestion seen in this state but still access to major business, healthcare, schools and shopping. You are in a prime location - plus one of the best equine vet hospitals outside of New Bolton. Horse people would love it.

I may be near to the shore area but there is a price to pay for the congestion and further commutes in traffic for jobs.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:46 pm

:D Yes, you can see why I don't want to leave. I have more pics for later. It's a BIG property.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 pm

I would NOT leave this property unless someday you have to - it is stunning with those views and privacy. The smaller home is perfect as being comfortable (not extreme size) and views outside would be my priority. Again, your location is ideal. You have it set up for your needs as a home and to ride your horse. It would be very difficult to even come close to it. Plus it would really cost to redo these features on this property somewhere else.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 pm

musical comedy wrote:This 'thing' just sold for 640k. Only 4 acres, but has a barn and small outside ring. Look at the pics. They get uglier as you go. Please nobody tell me they like this place.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/179- ... e&mmlb=g,0

MC! I like that place! Fight me! :lol: :mrgreen:

First of all, I LOVE that shade of yellow, so auto draw for me. I'd drive up to my yellow house in my yellow Camero, take off my yellow shoes when I walk in to the house and open my yellow curtains to enjoy the view. 8-) I probably oughta replace my brown horses with palominos, though, before I move in....hmm.... Plus it looks like they've done a thoughtful job with updating a 1700s (!!!!) house, and I LOOOOOOVE those wide-plank floors. It looks like you could make a guest apartment out of that living space by the horses. There's a man-cave. The horse area looks pretty thoughtfully laid out. It says there's 30 miles of trail very close by, and that would be a dream for me.

Man, I'm sold, when do I move in? :mrgreen:

But anyway, in real life, I have a place on 5 acres, with a smaller house (compared to most), and a very carefully laid out horse property that is incredibly easy to use, to maintain, and has knee-deep grass when it rains. My taxes are very low compared to all you guys :shock: I didn't cave to my obsession with yellow when putting my house together, and I frequently get "do you want to sell your house?" notes in my mailbox, so I couldn't have done too bad, at least as far as curb appeal. MC is gonna gut my house when she buys it, though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 pm

Your place is beautiful MC!!!

I'm only on 6 acres. Trouble for me is finding bigger properties that we can afford, but able to commute to work. Even 6 acres with an average house and having to redo stables was very expensive (for us).

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:19 pm

MC, your property is beautiful. It reminds me that I really am a "flatlander" at heart! (rolling hills and open fields = lovely; substantial ridges and mountains---what I want to look at not live on :lol: ). I suspect, without seeing your home, that the land is worth quite a bit more for development. Of course you might also look into easements for the property even if you did sell for development (to limit degree of subdivision aka minimum lot size). Or you could look into farmland trusts. Just depends on your goals. You have time and can explore options.

Flight, Exvet, Kelo---your focussed properties sound perfect to me if I ever had a horse property. There is no way I energetically could combine a larger acreage with horses! As I say to my boarding barn owners regularly, "I'm over here where you're (or your staff are) working so that I'm not working at home!"

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:08 pm

I want to show you my sunroom with a view. You won't get this in any condo that I know of.
Looks like you can't see through the greenery, but you can see the fields.
Attachments
sunroom.jpg
sunroom.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 13453 times

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:00 pm

That is beautiful!

Logan's Mom
Greenie

Postby Logan's Mom » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:21 am

My last home is now a rental . Put my heart and soul into it. Made a small profit. Bought another home in NJ . Living in construction debris for the second time in my life . Blessed to own my own home.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:14 am

MC, I do love a conservatory. Maybe on my next house I will build one again.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:28 pm

it is lovely MC

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm

The best is when you can enjoy your beautiful outdoors with all these views while inside. Perfect!!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:03 am

For anyone interested in the future of real estate, this is an interesting article.
https://www.businessinsider.com/millenn ... ems-2019-3
It's source is the WSJ, which I can't link because you have to have an account there to read their article.

Bottom line is that those huge McMansions aren't wanted by the millennials. When I look at the market in my state, there are a lot of 2m dollar homes on the market. I see many with 5 and even 7 bedrooms. Some have a lot of acres, others do not.

The one thing that puzzles me though is the assumption that all millenials are carrying student debt and having trouble even coming up with down payments. I see millennials that have super good jobs and are married to someone with a super good job, making it not that difficult to buy an expensive home.

I am very ambivalent about my living situation. One one hand, I'd like to rid myself of all this responsibility, but one the other hand I know all too well that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:55 pm

I think Gen Y (younger than millennials) are doing a bit better with the job/house-buying options. Also, there are still many cases with parents or grandparents are chipping in down payments.

Ex.: a ~30 year old newly married I know is looking at property now. She and her husband have good jobs, but not lots of cash---but they have help with that part. It is not easy for them to find a reasonable horse property under 500k even where I live (properties tend to be pretty rough when under that price point).

I keep thinking that we must transition to town when we retired (in 10 or so years), but honestly, I am dreading giving up quiet and privacy. We may need to live in an extremely nice town/neighborhood lol!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 pm

That yellow house had potential - after removing ALL the fake ceiling beams.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”