Question for the tech/app smart folks

Quelah
Herd Member

Question for the tech/app smart folks

Postby Quelah » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 pm

If you didn't already know this about me, confession, I am a total Luddite. This i must throw myself on the mercy of my betters in this. I will try to explain, I will probably fail, be patient with me.

Do any of you know of an app that sounds a chime when something happens, and has an option that you can select to have the chime keep repeating until it is manually shut off? Like if you had an alarm clock that just chimed once, but it was an option to select that it would keep going off until is was shut off.

Clear as mud? Know of anything like it? My undying thanks if you do.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Re: Question for the tech/app smart folks

Postby LeoApp » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:10 pm

There is a clock app and a calendar app that comes on pretty much every smart phone. Either one of those will let you set an event with an alarm. The clock will let you set an alarm that goes until you manually shut it off. I think this is what you are asking about.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm

I wish but no!

May be a better analogy. You know how in most smart phones there is a date reminder option, so say if your riding lesson is tomorrow you can set it to alert you a day before or two hours before an hour before and so on. When the alert goes off, usually it chimes once and a little bubble pops up in your phone on the screen.

Now imagine if you had the option when setting the alert that you could choose to have a child once or choose to have it keep chiming until you manually turned it off. Something like that.

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Sue B » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:59 pm

I don't remember the app name, but there's one you can set to remind you to get up and move. My MIL has hers set for every hour during daylight hours. When it goes off, she is supposed to get up, walk around, and use her spirometer. It doesn't stop chiming until she shuts it off. My SIL tries to keep her phone just out of reach so that MIL has to get up to shut it off. Is that what you're looking for?

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:54 pm

It might be, If the app is such that it chimes wants to remind you or you can choose to have it keep going off like an alarm clock. Do you know if it has those two different options?

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:25 pm

It reminds me of a feature in the Microsoft Office Suite for scheduling appointments in a monthly calendar. You set the date/time and then the reminder alarm feature.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Q, if I'm understanding correctly, you are basically setting a clock alarm without the snooze feature? (alarm must be manually shut off) But you want to associate this alarm with some action or ?

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:26 pm

I'll try to give better explantation, maybe more details will help.

There is an app for CPR events, to notify people when someone nearby needs CPR, so if they are trained, and choose to get involved, they can.
The app also notifies on other fire department things, like car accidents, structure fires, vegetation fires. It's super handy for those of us who live in wildfire prone areas, as the app alerts as soon as dispatch hits "enter" so you have a heads up waay before anyone official might think to issue an evacuation order etc. Or, as with the other day when a veg fire started near my friend's place, I text her and said "how close to you?" She said it's on my property, it IS me, home with kids, can't get ahold of husband. So we raced over there, all was fine, she lives next to fire station, but it's really handy to get these kind of alerts. With me so far?

So, when the app goes off, for whichever kind of event (I have my phone set just to alert on veg fires) it chimes once. So if it's a veg fire in the middle of the night, and you're not hyper tuned to the sound of the app like I am (having almost lost this place in a fire 2 years ago!) you could easily sleep through it. What I'm trying to do is get them to add a feature to the app so that people can choose to have the alert keep going off until it is manually shut off, like an alarm clock.

The app people think that's a great idea, but asked me (the Luddite, oh the irony!) to find another app that has that feature. So here I am, turning to the power of the BB!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:02 am

I know the app of which you speak. On my iwatch, it continually alerts me until I press the "dismiss" button. On my iphone, the alerts show up once and then disappear and I'm left wondering where the fire was. I don't know why there's a difference. This is probably going to have to go to some tech nerds to be solved.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:45 am

Gold horse, regarding that specific problem, it is an issue only with dispatch for con fire, I have made them aware and they are working on that, with the disappearing notification.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:22 pm

I use Alertme

It alerts when I get a text or miss a phone call. It continues to beep until I acknowledge it.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am

Goldhorse which iwatch do you have?

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:09 am

Quelah wrote:Goldhorse which iwatch do you have?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”