Having a run of horrible luck (graphic photos) - RIDING AGAIN!!!, Vids posted Oct 7/19!!

DJR
500 post plus club

Having a run of horrible luck (graphic photos) - RIDING AGAIN!!!, Vids posted Oct 7/19!!

Postby DJR » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm

I’m having a run of horrible luck in the last short while.

First, my yearling filly out of my Shire mare by the Hanoverian, Sir Wanabi, sliced open her R flank to the tune of about 10-12” in length and into the muscle. It became infected during healing so the suture line dehisced. She has healed from that quite well, though, but it was a difficult few weeks. That was about 6 weeks ago.

Then, a week ago, Panache, my beloved gangly-yearling-turned-gorgeous-gelding, only age 7, colicked. It turned out to be a nephrosplenic entrapment, and ultrasound suggested a volvulus as well. His pain could not be controlled and it was a long drive to the closest surgical centre, so at 11 pm that night he was euthanized. My grief over his loss is thick and heavy ... I’ve never lost a horse to colic, in fact none of my horses have ever colicked before this!

Last weekend, things were looking up when I took Finn (my totally awesome 5 yo homebred Hano/Shire gelding, and full brother to the yearling mentioned above) and Jet to their first Carriage Driving Event (CDE). They both did a super job, and Finn in particular showed a lot of talent for this discipline. We had a clinic on Friday before the CDE, and the clinician - who has competed internationally in CDEs - told me after that Finn could very easily go FEI. Finn finished as Grand Champion for Training Level (walk-trot only) against all other competitors! Here he is tackling the marathon course with gusto:
1357EAD3-1ACE-40BF-842B-980DB528BD1D.jpeg
Finn at his first CDE.
1357EAD3-1ACE-40BF-842B-980DB528BD1D.jpeg (232.47 KiB) Viewed 26293 times

Fast forward to yesterday. I got home around 10:15 pm after a ridiculously long & stressful work day - 14 hours of slogging through patients & important paperwork - and had to deal with my errant child and get her to bed. I went out to feed around 11 pm (they are all on pasture so they can handle a later feeding in the summer) and discovered Finn with this horrific wound:
4FAAEC4E-BC83-4943-A77C-D5C6B20CB4EE.jpeg
Last night’s wound.
4FAAEC4E-BC83-4943-A77C-D5C6B20CB4EE.jpeg (176.14 KiB) Viewed 26293 times

I absolutely lost it, wigging out, wailing in the silence of the night air, frightened to find out just how severe the wound was. I’m normally known for my composure, but with Pan’s loss still brittle on my heart, I just wasn’t coping well. I got the vet there as fast as she could get there and set up a stall for him while I was waiting. After an extremely well done 3-hour repair, it looked like this:
90CD8A4D-6129-41BC-A9F9-D73E33034032.jpeg
Post wound repair at 3:30 a.m.
90CD8A4D-6129-41BC-A9F9-D73E33034032.jpeg (201.53 KiB) Viewed 26293 times

I got to bed around 4 a.m. and back up at 7 a.m. to check on him. I then walked the entire pasture looking for the cause of this injury and found nothing. Then another friend on my FB messaged me when she heard the news and told me that she had a horse with a similar injury sustained on the end of a gate hinge bolt. I went out and checked and sure enough, on a bolt that isn’t even sticking out much at all (for all intents & purposes, no one would have suspected it could have caused a problem to be honest), there was pieces of Finn and blood. I think what must have happened is that he was galloping back to the barn from the pasture, which he often does to get away from horse flies or to come in for supper, and he must have WHAMMED the point of his shoulder against the end of the bolt. It had to have been a heavy, high-velocity impact given the extent of wound.

I’m so sad and heartbroken about this. The wound came together really well and he is on lots of pain meds & antibiotics, and of course stall rest. Shoulder injuries like this usually heal really well, so please keep him in your thoughts for no complications. He’s a stellar horse; it’s so unfair sometimes what life deals us.
Last edited by DJR on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Re: Having a run of horrible luck (graphic photos)

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 pm

I'm so sorry to hear all this. My heart goes out to you. Jingles for a speedy, full recovery for Finn.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 pm

You've really had a terrible time of it lately, and you have my sympathy. I hope you have smooth sailing from now on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Lots of jingles for you and the living; tons of hugs for you and godspeeds for Panache. Colic is always shocking.

p.s. quite a nice stitch job on Finn

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Ohhhh, I am so sorry. Great big hugs to you.

I am so sorry on your loss of Panache. We all have to be prepared for it, but are never prepared for it. You cared for him and loved him, and hugs to you as you grieve.

The filly's injury would be enough stress -- I hope she's healing well now.

That is a horrific wound on Finn! I would've had a screaming meltdown myself. I have to say, your vet did a beautiful stitch job, and I will pray it heals uneventfully and quickly.

I hope thinking about Finn's future helps buoy you a tiny bit. Hug your ponies and your human baby. Sending positive internet vibes to all of you, hoping it all calms down immediately!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.

The stitch job on Finn does look really good, jingling for smooth healing.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Oh gosh! I am so sorry to hear you lost Panache to colic - so young for such a loss. Yes - mental screaming meltdown for sure finding this injury on Finn. It really is a nice stitch job and wishing Finn a speedy and full recovery. Wishing you quiet times ahead to recover from your loss and added stress.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:14 pm

So sorry for you loss of Panache, colic is always a concern with horses. To lose one over this is overwelming, when the vet arrives we always think they will get thru it, it will pass until it doesn't.

My heart aches for your recent horse loss and now the reinjury. Healing vibes vibes coming your and Finns way.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 pm

I’m sorry about Panache. Colic can be heartbreaking. Healing thoughts sent to you and your herd.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 pm

What a sad post, Im so sorry. Panache! So so sorry.

And yerp, that's a nasty wound, yoiks.

I hope fate gives you a break, that's a lot to endure.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:37 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose one of your horse family and even worse to see them suffer. Then to have two horrendous wounds to deal with. Sometimes with horses it seems like when there are issues with one then all the others have to join the club. I will be thinking of you and hope the recovery goes smoothly. Once stitched that wound looked MUCH better.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 pm

What a terrible time. I'm so sorry and hope that is run of three, and things improve exponentially from here on out.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:54 pm

oh no! I really liked Panache, that is just awful. And the wound-- FFS what is that? Probably the worst wound I have seen! :(
Keep us posted on your two patients....!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Wow, Deanna, I am so sorry for all of that, and especially Panache. You did well by him and he had a good life with you.

Jingles for Finn to be a good boy and allow the healing process to happen and keep those beautiful stitches in place. I hope all is on the up and up from here on for you and your lovely horses.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Big hugs DJR! What horrible time you have been having:( So so sorry about Panache. I lost one of my favorite mares to colic (Joplin's dam) in 2016 just a few short months after Mark died. It is hard. She was not a surgery candidate.

Hope your filly continues to heal well with no lasting issues and Finn heals completely and fully with no issues. That is a OMG wound for sure and I don't blame you for losing it. I thing we all have at some point in our horsey lives, I know I have a time or two.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:52 pm

My condolences on your loss and tragedies. I think you've had more than your fair share so hopefully you'll have a reprieve.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm so sorry, Deanna. You've had an awful run of luck. Big hugs, and lots of well wishes, to you and your critters.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss of Panache. That is very sad.
That is an impressive wound! Massive healing vibes and hoping it heals without difficulties.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 am

I am very sorry. I liked Panache too how terribly sad.
Gosh that injury is huge, what a fabulous stitch. I hope it stays clean and doesnt dehish.

Jingles

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:39 pm

That is truly horrible luck, more than anyone should have to deal with in such a short amount of time. I am so sorry. But that shoulder repair looks fabulous. Keep us posted on his progress.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm

I'm so sorry DJR - it sounds like a horrible time for you lately. Horses are heartbreakers.

Besides the grief and stress dealing with the injuries, I would be so anxious about additional accidents or issues. If that sounds like you, maybe see if you can get someone to check on the horses a few times each day/evening while you are gone, just to put some eyes on them when you are not home. Or if your daughter is home, she could text you pics of all the horses. I know if I'm concerned about my horse's health, it's very helpful to have someone confirm he is upright and ok.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Oh my God. That is horrible! I am so sorry for your loss and all the other injuries and heartache you have had. Why are horses so fragile??!!

Backyarder
Novice

Postby Backyarder » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Oh no, healing vibes coming Finn's way...that's nasty...I can understand your panic when you first saw it. Hugs to both of you!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 pm

This is a lot to take in and try to absorb. I'm so sorry for everything that's happened. Sometimes life just dumps on you and all you can do is just go with it the best you can. I know sometime you will find a place for it all because you are a strong woman.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:19 pm

:shock: I'm not sure "graphic photos" does this one justice, what a hammer blow that must have been. Your vet is quite the seamstress (seamstor?). Jingles for healthy healing for Finn.

And for you, too. You've had a helluva of gauntlet to run lately.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 am

Oh, Deanna. These horses. We are either sky high with delight and joy or gutted with worry and grief.
I am so sorry about Panache.
Jingles that Finn heals up well and the scar does not affect his harness wearing. He looks like he really enjoys tackling the obstacles.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Wow! You must feel like there is a big black cloud over you head all of the time. ((Hugs)) for your loss and jingles for quick healing.
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Oh gosh Deanna, so very, very sorry about Panache AND Finn. You must feel like your head is ready to explode. Panache turned out to be such a handsome and cool horse, so sad. I probably would have lost my cookies if I came out and saw one of my horses looking like Finn, and I've sewn up alot of horses over the years. Lots of hugs and jingles your way.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:29 am

OMG! I'm so sorry about Panache. What a horrible run. :(
Nice stitch job by your vet. I hope it heals well. Please take care of yourself.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:18 pm

DJR, what a tough few weeks, cyber hugs for you and kia kaha (stay strong).

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Hugs to you, DJR,

If it helps, we had a TB mare get an equally gruesome injury to her shoulder. It was like 18" long, at least six inches deep in spots. It was able to be stitched in places but it was horribly deep. I thought for sure we would lose the mare. With basic care, the wound healed perfectly and the scar is smaller than the palm of your hand. Hopefully you have similar results.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Sorry to read this, Deanna. It just sucks when things are going well and then all of a sudden the crap hits.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Oh DJR, I wish I had helpful words...I hope it helps to know that you are among a group of folks who totally get the emotions you are feeling, if not being folks who know the exact situation. I feel like horses bring us the most amazing positives, and the most gut wrenching negatives, when it comes to our emotional well-being. And test our level of strength daily. So many hugs coming your way, and actually out to everyone on this board, knowing we are all going through stuff either yesterday, today, or sometime soon...as that just seems to be our lives with these incredible creatures.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Oh no!! That is all just too much. Panache was such a gem - you did such a lovely job developing him from his scrawny youth. :( While Finn's wound is horrific, that repair job is stellar and I hope it is just the start of good healing. Many hugs.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:06 pm

I am so sorry you lost Panache, what a heartbreak.

If it helps any, Diane that we did all the combined driving with had one of her cobs get a shoulder injury every bit that hideous and perhaps a touch worse as his was from going through a barbed wire fence at a full gallop and the margins were not as clean. It did take quite a while to heal, and left him with a bit of a scar. He was about 15 when it happened, I believe your younger horse will heal better and faster and that is a lovely job the vet did putting him back together. Rupert the Cob made a full comeback to driving, both in breast collar and full collar, and was the horse we took to the Paradriving world championships in England a few years ago.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:02 am

That’s refreshing to hear, Quelah, thank you!

Meanwhile, Finn’s wound has gradually dehisced and now is wide open except for the top 4 stitches. He had completely transected the muscle bellies of the omotransverarius and brachiocephalicus, which are the two main muscles that translate the scapula forward during the swing phase of gait. The emerg vet put the muscle back together and it looked great until day 7, then the bottom 1/2 of the wound started weeping ++ fluid and opening. The top muscle (omotransversarius) gave way overnight last night, causing a 3” gap between the muscle ends. The brachiocephalicus is still holding together ... somehow.

I started cold-hosing a couple of days ago which has helped make it look better. There is a good granulation bed forming throughout the open parts of the wound. And today a veterinary colleague of mine who specializes in rehab let me borrow her cold laser machine and I will be doing twice daily treatments with that until Monday morning when I have to get it back to her.

This is going to take MANY months to heal. He keeps trashing the bandage, too, making it all the more stressful. Tonight he has a Freedom basket muzzle on to try to keep the dressing on. I don’t like putting a muzzle on and would prefer a “plastic bib” that connects to his halter on the bottom part of the jow, but no one in town has one stocked. I’ve ordered by only but it’ll take 3-4 days to get her.
Last edited by DJR on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:03 am

Thanks for the update. As much as the vets try to patch things together, some areas are just not amenable to staying that way.

I hope the laser helped over the weekend and the bib gets to you soon.

Continued healing jingles.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:44 am

It looked severe enough that dehiscing was likely. I am sorry. Is there a prognosis for soundness? Based on the severe muscle damage dud you consider euthanasia ? I really hope all goes well?

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:31 pm

We aren’t sure what the soundness prognosis will be. Only time will tell.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Is the prescapular nerve intact?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:41 am

I'm sorry DJR. This is going to be a long and difficult journey for the both of you.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Sue B wrote:Is the prescapular nerve intact?

It appears to be. He can weight bear normally on that leg without any winging.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:19 pm

DJR, I'm so sorry to hear about all the horse struggles you've had. Loss and injury are never easy and so close to each other feels truly unfair.

sending healing thoughts to Finn. These kind of injuries are always so scary.

I did want to share that my current mare and a mare I leased as a kid both had horrific wounds to their hindquarters (one on the outside and the other on the inside). In both cases wounds went through major muscles and vets were not sure the horses would be sound. The mare I leased especially had really substantial muscle damage in an area that was both wide and extremely deep. In that case the vet essentially told us she would likely not be sound. In both cases the horses recovered to full strength and soundness with only scars to indicate anything ever happened.
Bodies are incredible things, designed to heal and regenerate. Hoping your Finn has a full recovery with nothing but a scar to remember this all by.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 am

So sorry to hear about your horses.
Colic is awful and the injury looks very nasty too. Sending healing thoughts (((hugs)))

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:56 pm

OMG what horrible, horrible luck DJR! I'm so sorry - I know that shoulder will heal, as will the flank injury on the filly (the dearly departed Decrepit OTTB had a similar shoulder injury and it was fine). But the colic loss, and the stress, and the expense.... you poor thing.

If these things run in 3s you're all paid up with the universe now, and due a quiet time for a LONG time. Hugs!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 pm

UPDATE: 3-weeks post-injury:

Finn is now almost 3 weeks post-injury (it will be 3 weeks as of tomorrow). He’s doing ok, all things considered.

Dressing changes are taking 1-3 hrs each time, and I do them twice a day. It takes longer when I discover that he’s rubbed off a bandage so I have to replace stay sutures, or that type of thing. Having said that, the last few days have been MUCH better since I changed bandaging techniques. I used to put the “wet” dressing — an Animalintex poultice pad soaked in hypertonic saline with Intrasite gel on top — on without ties, then lace umbilical tape through the stay sutures that were placed on either side of the wound and use that to hold the dry dressing — a folded up tea towel — in place. Then the shoulder guard overtop of everything. However, the constant tension on the stay sutures was bugging him and he kept ruining the dressing almost every time.

Now what I do is I thread 6-8 ties through the margins of the poultice pad and tie them to the stay sutures all the way around. Then I use the long tails of those ties and use a darning needle to thread the ties through the fabric of the tea towel (which is just a single layer thickness cut to match the size of the poultice pad), and then I tie the tea towel/dry dressing on top of the wet dressing. The shoulder guard goes overtop. And, with each dressing change comes 10-15 min of cold hosing.

I also switched from using a “Freedom muzzle”, basically a metal cage muzzle, to a “plastic bib” to keep him from chewing on the dressings. That also is far better tolerated. At first I used a homemade version because the local tack stores didn’t have a commercial one. It arrived last Thursday so I’m using it and it’s better because it’s a lot smoother, and a lot easier to put on and take off if I need to.

The other thing that has helped is that one of my veterinary colleagues lent me her professional-grade cold laser machine last weekend and this weekend. I got 5 treatments in last weekend, and 3 treatments this weekend. It makes a big difference when I use it re: wound healing.

The initial closure was a work of art, but very unfortunately (and typical of shoulder wounds) it broke down at day 7-8 and over three days it completely dehisced, including the fully transected muscle bellies. This was despite being on two types of antibiotics (one oral, one parenteral). I could fit my fist into the deep pockets & cavities on the leading & trailing edge of the wound. As of yesterday, the leading edge has filled in completely under the skin & muscle! The trailing edge still has a deep plane under that portion of the muscle belly, but it feels physiologic as it glides against the underlying musculature of the scapula.

Anyway, here is a photo showing the progression of the wound over a period of 12 days:
8D34DB6B-355C-4E5B-8FB2-2D18448CDA1D.jpeg
Injury progression to date.
8D34DB6B-355C-4E5B-8FB2-2D18448CDA1D.jpeg (195.37 KiB) Viewed 25181 times

And, here’s the source of all this carnage. The close-up photo makes it look longer and more prominent than it really is. In reality, it doesn’t stick out AT ALL because it is facing the hinge edge of the gate, which was swung around to be fully open at the time of the injury. Three of my equestrian friends - one of which is a vet - have seen it and all three shook their heads in astonishment because never in a thousand years would anyone have predicted that that could have been a problem!! We think he must have been cantering and hit it at a high rate of speed on the downbeat of a canter stride ... it probably penetrated at the point of his shoulder, then the momentum of his body basically skewered him on it and forced it up 2 feet through all the tissue. It makes me shudder thinking about the force of the impact needed to have caused this injury, and the brutal pain he must have been in. Ugh, it’s so stupid & senseless, yet it happened.
063C45A3-A7D3-449D-851B-F9FFE6A9EEC2.jpeg
The cause of the injury.
063C45A3-A7D3-449D-851B-F9FFE6A9EEC2.jpeg (111.94 KiB) Viewed 25181 times

I’ll update again in another week or two with more photos. I figure it might help someone else who has to cope with a severe injury like this to see the progression and hear how this is being treated.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Re: Having a run of horrible luck (graphic photos) - UPDATE later in the thread

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:19 pm

I have seen less gore at the butcher's on delivery day... DJR you win this and ALL FUTURE CONVERSATIONS about horse wounds... :shock:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:06 am

Well, that's ugly. But, I see the progression.

I really like the animalintex poultice pads for my mare's all-to-frequent puncture wounds too. It doesn't matter if it looks awful, the goal is inside to outside.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:26 am

Ugly as hell, but looking better than it did. He's a lucky horse to belong to you and have your skilled nursing care.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:06 pm

Ah wound care, it's my bread and butter, though, now it's more often dog on dog than any other species. Good healthy looking granulation bed and at least there's plenty of skin, at least it appears to be so. I had a horse that filleted his shoulder similarly when I was a teenager. Not quite as long but same place, same depth. We went through a similar process. My mother hand made a 'fly mask' for the shoulder out of an old blanket and netting because preventing proud flesh became the next issue/challenge once we got down to the final stages. The next year you could barely tell there had been any injury (thanks to a blue roan coat). I'm guessing by the time you get to 'that' stage you may be beyond fly season. Good luck, it's looking pretty good imho.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”