Another terrible story-- shooting at Barisone's facility

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Another terrible story-- shooting at Barisone's facility

Postby blob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/sh ... fM9OZAABZ8

Apparently Michael is in custody. The woman made it through the night, but I imagine she's still in a critical condition.

KathyK

Re: Another terrible story-- shooting at Barisone's facility

Postby KathyK » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:57 pm

I haven't read anything that indicates that Michael was the shooter. Did I miss something?

blob

Postby blob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:27 pm

KathyK wrote:I haven't read anything that indicates that Michael was the shooter. Did I miss something?

http://dressage-news.com/2019/08/08/usa ... ge-center/

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Ugh, that is a terrible story. All I remember about Michael Barisone is that he gave Stephen Colbert a few rides on one his dressage horses. Those videos were a hoot!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:12 pm

The whole thing is very bizarre. If you go to her Facebook page, she sounds unhinged. Someone on COTH knew her from a barn she refused to leave and said she was a nut.

I

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 pm

It is my considered opinion that if you have a "nut" on your property you legally evict them and use the police. It seems to be a better idea than taking a gun and shooting them.

Since Michael knows where the cameras are I bet it was off camera.

I read on social media...which is not always reliable, that the boyfriend attempted to disarm Michael who then broke his wrist . I repeat, not substantiated info

khall

Postby khall » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:26 pm

All of this with GM, RG and now MB, who wants to be in the big leagues of the horse world? I know there has to be some good horsemen/people out there. Anyone have a list of the good ones to share?

The GM thread on COTH is very well done IMO, lots of good info and sane conversations for the most part.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:45 pm

I've seen articles from reliable sources that say that the fiance broke his wrist, but not how. Michael also apparently has some minor injuries so I suspect there might in fact have been a scuffle between the two

khall

Postby khall » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:52 pm

Blob yeah there is much we do not know at this point with MB, but I'm sure it will all come out eventually. MB is sitting in jail at this point. It's just that right now it seems we are seeing so many (I'm including I support George people here too) that are not what we want in the horse world. A very long time ago friend is on the I support George page. Why can't people be decent to one another? Disagree without getting personal or violent?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:01 pm

The whole thing is just bonkers. Based on the CotH thread, it sounds like the victim and her fiance may have tried to attack MB with knives, and he shot in self-defense. No mention of if the fiance is in custody.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:06 pm

StraightForward wrote:The whole thing is just bonkers. Based on the CotH thread, it sounds like the victim and her fiance may have tried to attack MB with knives, and he shot in self-defense. No mention of if the fiance is in custody.

Because a person just walks around armed? I see he has been charged with 2 counts of attempted murder.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:51 am

there are all sorts of stories floating around---that she and the fiance came after him or that MB had asked them to leave his property and they hadn't. But none of these things make it acceptable to shoot someone. If he wanted them gone and they wouldn't leave, he should have called the police.

she had been posting on FB that she was afraid for her life, which probably seemed like a lot of hysterics. But clearly...she had good reason to fear it.

The whole thing is terrible and frankly scary.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:12 am

Chisamba wrote:
StraightForward wrote:The whole thing is just bonkers. Based on the CotH thread, it sounds like the victim and her fiance may have tried to attack MB with knives, and he shot in self-defense. No mention of if the fiance is in custody.

Because a person just walks around armed? I see he has been charged with 2 counts of attempted murder.

Plenty of people in Idaho do. It's all just hearsay at this time, and I know absolutely nothing about MB, but if tensions were escalating, and the mentions of her posting things on FB about acquiring guns and bullets were true, it seems reasonable that he might decide to carry.

No one said it's OK to shoot someone, but could be excusable as self-defense if you're being assailed by 1-2 people with knives. Not saying he wasn't the aggressor, or didn't bait then attack. No way of knowing either way at this point.

Having had to go through evicting, it can take weeks or even months after the first call to have the cops serve them, so you could call the cops and still have a super pissed off tenant roaming around out for blood.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am

This is not Idaho

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:42 am

I have yet to find any credible source confirm anything about knives or self defense. However, credible sources have confirmed that Michael has been charged with attempted murder. Neither the victim nor the finance have been changed with anything.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:09 pm

The fact that she documented on FB that she was threatened and in fear doesn't help his case, whether true or not. The other thing she wrote was about him being a drunk. No clue if this is true or not, police would know if he was intoxicated when they arrested him. How being drunk plays out in an attempted murder charge, I have no idea.

Once upon a time, one of my pastimes was to follow murder cases. These cases tend to drag on and on. The accused sits in the slammer for a year or more and the news dies down until they are finally brought to trial. I don't think we will know a lot before then. Even then, I have up close and personal experience with someone in my family that was murdered. Even today, with the perp in jail, all details are not known by the family.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:39 pm

NJ has VERY strict gun laws - maybe even zero tolerance compared to other states. This includes laws for gun owners as to how they carry and transport ammunition and guns to target practice ranges. You will not see a truck with a gun rack and rifle in NJ.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:21 pm

MB's charges also include weapon possession charges.

The COTH thread on this matter is interesting. Lot of people seem set on spinning the story against her. Some even saying the gun might have been her's or that she shot herself. But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter who started what or said what or even who owned the gun. A woman should not have been shot twice in the chest at a barn ( or anywhere)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Chisamba wrote:This is not Idaho

You asked a rhetorical question about "people" not "people in New Jersey." :roll:
Keep calm and canter on.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:02 pm

blob wrote:The COTH thread on this matter is interesting. Lot of people seem set on spinning .....

Why do I read that place I continue to ask myself. Why do I occasionally post there is even more of a question. The group over there only want to argue, debate, and prove themselves right. It's what they do. The drama posts always attract the same people.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:19 pm

musical comedy wrote:
blob wrote:The COTH thread on this matter is interesting. Lot of people seem set on spinning .....

Why do I read that place I continue to ask myself. Why do I occasionally post there is even more of a question. The group over there only want to argue, debate, and prove themselves right. It's what they do. The drama posts always attract the same people.

Yes, many threads turn into real messes over there. I tend to only really post in the 'horse care' forum, where things tend to stay a little more civilized when it's an actual medical or feeding related question and not something that might be also behavioral.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Agreed COTH has turned into a mess of people saying the same thing over and over.

I am not commenting on any of this because we really don't know facts except to say I am glad I am mostly out of the horse world except for competing, and my thoughts of turning pro again are confirmed by this that this is a bad idea. In the age of social media and instant news, just too much gossip.

The woman shot, which is horrible, sounded like a lunatic on her FB page, and someone on COTH who knew here confirmed she is and has been kicked out of man barns and refused to leave. I am so glad for my quiet barn.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Tanga wrote:I am so glad for my quiet barn.

Ditto.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:07 am

Okay, in case no one got my implication, one does not go to some ones house armed, in self defense

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:42 am

In reading this I am reminded of Chisamba’s first post on the safe sport thread.

Man shoots woman in barn.
Woman was a complete lunatic anyway...

Victim blaming, anyone?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:49 pm

I just have to make a comment. Is anyone reading that thread over on COTH? It is digusting that the Moderators are allowing that to go on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 pm

I won't read it. Sounds like moderators may be MIA.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Chisamba wrote:Okay, in case no one got my implication, one does not go to some ones house armed, in self defense

The police do it all the time. That aside, we do not know that this is what happened. Lots of speculation, but as far as I know, no hard facts.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 pm

KathyK wrote:
Chisamba wrote:Okay, in case no one got my implication, one does not go to some ones house armed, in self defense

The police do it all the time. That aside, we do not know that this is what happened. Lots of speculation, but as far as I know, no hard facts.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/4145 ... -in-court/

the judge seems pretty convinced that the evidence lends itself against Barisone.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:14 pm

The person who was shot, Laura K was posting on the thread--- it is quite the thread!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:31 pm

I don't know what happened but I just learned Barisone rode a horse named Jeff the Chef which is a pure genius name.
Last edited by Tsavo on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:48 am

Ryeissa wrote:The person who was shot, Laura K was posting on the thread--- it is quite the thread!

Wow, I'd read it up until l about a week ago. Went back and peeked I might have to sit down with a glass of wine and catch up on Friday night. It just keeps getting more bizarre. :shock:
Keep calm and canter on.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:51 am

StraightForward wrote:[ It just keeps getting more bizarre. :shock:
What bothers me is the group is permitted to call the victim names like narcissist/sociopath/psychopath and accuse her of things they don't know for sure she did. The mods apparently condone this. Yet, there have been people banned for just tiny little things. If the victim does have a mental issue, then is it appropriate to be poking at her like this? And really, they just keep repeating the same stuff over and over like they did with that guy. Yes, I know, don't read there. I'll try to stop.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 am

musical comedy wrote:
What bothers me is the group is permitted to call the victim names like narcissist/sociopath/psychopath and accuse her of things they don't know for sure she did. The mods apparently condone this. Yet, there have been people banned for just tiny little things. If the victim does have a mental issue, then is it appropriate to be poking at her like this? And really, they just keep repeating the same stuff over and over like they did with that guy. Yes, I know, don't read there. I'll try to stop.

Moderators don't occupy those positions on any expertise basis. It's just who runs the show irrespective of qualifications. It is the furthest thing from a meritocracy you can find.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Tsavo wrote:
musical comedy wrote:

Moderators don't occupy those positions on any expertise basis. It's just who runs the show irrespective of qualifications. It is the furthest thing from a meritocracy you can find.

eh, they have posted a few times and are watching the thread.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Ryeissa wrote:eh, they have posted a few times and are watching the thread.
They have posted as Moderators, but I'm saying I think they are posting under alters too. Their posts under Moderator are condoning that bulls*t that is getting written. (I know, I know, I don't have to read there).

Also, and this is probably for another thread, but how does all this stalking and harrassing take place? I mean, can't they just block the person from their phone and internet accounts. Sheesh. This isn't like some x-husband or boyfriend stalking someone with the intent to do harm. When I was a kid, it was "sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me". That's what mom and grandma use to tell me when I'd come home crying about what some kid called me.

I have a facebook account only because my understanding is that you need one in order to look at stuff others link. I do not participate AT ALL on FB or any of those other social media places. That way, I don't get myself into this crazy stuff that some of these people are getting into.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:54 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:eh, they have posted a few times and are watching the thread.
They have posted as Moderators, but I'm saying I think they are posting under alters too. Their posts under Moderator are condoning that bulls*t that is getting written. (I know, I know, I don't have to read there).

Also, and this is probably for another thread, but how does all this stalking and harrassing take place? I mean, can't they just block the person from their phone and internet accounts. Sheesh. This isn't like some x-husband or boyfriend stalking someone with the intent to do harm. When I was a kid, it was "sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me". That's what mom and grandma use to tell me when I'd come home crying about what some kid called me.

I have a facebook account only because my understanding is that you need one in order to look at stuff others link. I do not participate AT ALL on FB or any of those other social media places. That way, I don't get myself into this crazy stuff that some of these people are getting into.

eeeek.....why do you think they are posting under alters? Its quite the thread!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Ryeissa wrote:eeeek.....why do you think they are posting under alters? Its quite the thread!
Once upon a time, long ago, there is/was a poster on coth that admitted that she was once a mod there. This poster was someone I knew of from another dressage board I was on. I'll even tell you her board name if I can remember it. Probably won't be able to find her posts because I think search only goes back to 2009.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:03 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:eeeek.....why do you think they are posting under alters? Its quite the thread!
Once upon a time, long ago, there is/was a poster on coth that admitted that she was once a mod there. This poster was someone I knew of from another dressage board I was on. I'll even tell you her board name if I can remember it. Probably won't be able to find her posts because I think search only goes back to 2009.

oh, yeah, now we have posters making usernames for fun acting like they are Girl Joey and mocking her.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Rye, I am going to PM you the link of the mod that was a regular user. I found the thread.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:26 pm

It is quite the train wreck over there. People wildly speculating on the mental health of shooter and shootee, interpreting the law, etc. It's definitely a "Friday night with popcorn and beverage of choice" type of thread.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm

PaulaO wrote:It is quite the train wreck over there. People wildly speculating on the mental health of shooter and shootee, interpreting the law, etc. It's definitely a "Friday night with popcorn and beverage of choice" type of thread.

yeah. I read Larua's posts on FB that she wrote in the week leading up to the shooting, lets just say she looks very deranged. I knew then there was going to be an interesting ride on this one. We have gun debates, speculation over squatting/housing issues, fake claims to bronze medals, Olympic dreams dashed (?), gun debates, etc.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:51 pm

I can't find the thread any more, may have been removed from COTH finally...?

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:05 pm

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Tarlo, it's still there. Usually at the top thread on the dressage forum. They just keep rehashing the same old stuff about how awful she was.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Found it! Holy$%#! She's a nut! And I'm only on page 107!

At that page, her best defense would be to just shut up, but she can't help herself. And there are some interesting links to other charges against her that she insists don't exist.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 pm

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/mi ... r-shooting

lauren is now posting on comments on this article about her. Just stop talking, really.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (97.98 KiB) Viewed 22392 times

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:11 pm

On occasion, I had thought about leasing out my horse facilities at some point. Knowing what I know now about how hard it is to evict someone, there is no way I will do that.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:15 pm

I've read a lot of that post and I feel sorry for MB. From what I have read this woman has pushed every button of his. She has prior charges against her for many things and many, many speeding tickets. THt in itself says she cannot and will not follow the rules. If I was told to leave a facility, I'd go, I'd keep my mouth shut, mind the rules and leave quietly.

She choose to stay. I don't think he should have used the force of a gun, but a crazy person can make the sane person down right out of their mind. On the 911 calls he asked that she be removed but that didn't happen. He sounded so distraught on those calls and didn't know where to turn for help.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”