Another terrible story-- shooting at Barisone's facility

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Another terrible story-- shooting at Barisone's facility

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Hayburner wrote:I've read a lot of that post and I feel sorry for MB. From what I have read this woman has pushed every button of his. She has prior charges against her for many things and many, many speeding tickets. THt in itself says she cannot and will not follow the rules. If I was told to leave a facility, I'd go, I'd keep my mouth shut, mind the rules and leave quietly.

She choose to stay. I don't think he should have used the force of a gun, but a crazy person can make the sane person down right out of their mind. On the 911 calls he asked that she be removed but that didn't happen. He sounded so distraught on those calls and didn't know where to turn for help.

yeah, I guess I'm unclear if it's even his gun, Laura commented on having her own gun the week before.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Rye, the owner of the gun has been established. It's a long thread and apparently some people (not saying you) are skimming stuff and that is why some ask the same questions over and over again. The gun belonged to Ruth Cox. She is a co-owner of a horse with MB's girlfriend. Lauren has guns, but not a Ruger.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 pm

Evidently the "very expensive" remodeling job the bf did has caused the property to be condemned.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:58 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
Hayburner wrote:I've read a lot of that post and I feel sorry for MB. From what I have read the woman has pushed every button of his. She has prior charges against her for many things and many, many speeding tickets. THt in itself says she cannot and will not follow the rules. If I was told to leave a facility, I'd go, I'd keep my mouth shut, mind the rules and leave quietly.

She choose to stay. I don't think he should have used the force of a gun, but a crazy person can make the sane person down right out of their mind. On the 911 calls he asked that she be removed but that didn't happen. He sounded so distraught on those calls and didn't know where to turn for help.

yeah, I guess I'm unclear if it's even his gun, Laura commented on having her own gun the week before.

how about googling how to evict a tenant. then legally following the advice , securing an eviction and having the police evict with a legal eviction notice.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:28 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:Evidently the "very expensive" remodeling job the bf did has caused the property to be condemned.
Tarlo, this is hearsay. A lot of the information is coming from two posters that are friends with his GF. This is one of those topics where if someone is not on the Lauren hate train, they best not join in on the discussion.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 am

Sad situation. I am waiting for a Dateline episode...maybe in a couple years.

My question on COTH, other than happening on a dressage trainer's property and that the victim and the alleged shooter ride dressage, what it is doing with however many pages now (150?) on the dressage forum? I am not sure why it is still there/going.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 am

Basically the COTH thread by and large, is supporting the idea that the way to deal with a person with mental problems is to kill them.

It is going into huge name calling , finger pointing and victim blaming in a manner that should have been stopped a long time ago, so the po pack have assigned the victim all kinds of mental issues, ti justify a grown adult man who made no move to address the issue with the correct legal procedures and chose to arm himself and attempt murder.

I look at those Coth posters and think..

You really think kids are safe with such a man?

You would put your horses in training with such a person?

This is lack of problem solving and choice is the one you want to publicly vociferously support?

And I wonder if the pot is not calling the kettle black.

And then I tell my friends whi keep referring to the thread. Walk away, its not worth your time.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:19 pm

yes they are calling her crazy and unhinged, but he was incompetent and lacked any kind of adult reasoning.
Have trouble with a client, you get on it and be an adult.

Lawyers are handy for this if you are not sure how to do.

Number on tip to trainers
You are running a business keep it professional and adult

Number one tip to owners and riders
They are not your BFF or your mental health professional.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:43 pm

acheyarcher wrote:yes they are calling her crazy and unhinged, but he was incompetent and lacked any kind of adult reasoning.
Have trouble with a client, you get on it and be an adult.

Lawyers are handy for this if you are not sure how to do.

Number on tip to trainers
You are running a business keep it professional and adult

Number one tip to owners and riders
They are not your BFF or your mental health professional.

do you know MB?

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:46 pm

Chisamba wrote:Basically the COTH thread by and large, is supporting the idea that the way to deal with a person with mental problems is to kill them.

No. As has been stated numerous times throughout the CoTH thread, few, if any, support such an absurd idea. People are looking for reasons that this happened. Placing some of the responsibility for the events that led up to the shooting on the victim is not the same as saying Mr. Barisone was justified in shooting her.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 pm

KathyK wrote: No. As has been stated numerous times throughout the CoTH thread, few, if any, support such an absurd idea. People are looking for reasons that this happened. Placing some of the responsibility for the events that led up to the shooting on the victim is not the same as saying Mr. Barisone was justified in shooting her.
Few are going to admit on line that they are glad she was shot, but I believe some of them are. Look, some are already saying they want to help his case. Most would like to see him get off with a light sentence. You too? Me, I think he should go away for a long time. Imo she has zero responsibility in this. It may have started with wanting to know the events leading up to the shooting, but now it's just a free for all trashing her. COTH has turned into the national enquirer.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Baristone shot a person.

The preceding events, gossip, etc is all extraneous.

Barisone shot his client. There is no justification for shooting someone.
Last edited by heddylamar on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:12 pm

heddylamar wrote:
Baristone shot his client. There is no justification for shooting someone.

Except self defense, for one. To be clear, I'm not saying it was self defense because I wasn't there so don't know, but there are quite a few circumstances in which someone can get shot and there is at least some degree of justification for it. This may or may not be one of those circumstances.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:54 pm

heddylamar wrote:Baristone shot a person.

The preceding events, gossip, etc is all extraneous.

I think justification and understanding why are totally different. Laura did sound unhinged, it was a huge mess weeks before the shooting. No he shouldn't have done it, period.

Laura went back to the house and seems to be relishing the drama, if it was me and I was shot I would be terrified for a long time. Weird response, all I'm saying.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Chisamba wrote:Basically the COTH thread by and large, is supporting the idea that the way to deal with a person with mental problems is to kill them.

It is going into huge name calling , finger pointing and victim blaming in a manner that should have been stopped a long time ago, so the po pack have assigned the victim all kinds of mental issues, ti justify a grown adult man who made no move to address the issue with the correct legal procedures and chose to arm himself and attempt murder.

I look at those Coth posters and think..

You really think kids are safe with such a man?

You would put your horses in training with such a person?

This is lack of problem solving and choice is the one you want to publicly vociferously support?

And I wonder if the pot is not calling the kettle black.

And then I tell my friends whi keep referring to the thread. Walk away, its not worth your time.

see, that is not my takeaway. I never saw anyone say shooting is ok. That is just how i read it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 pm

musical comedy wrote:Rye, the owner of the gun has been established. It's a long thread and apparently some people (not saying you) are skimming stuff and that is why some ask the same questions over and over again. The gun belonged to Ruth Cox. She is a co-owner of a horse with MB's girlfriend. Lauren has guns, but not a Ruger.

I don't trust the online community to be presenting facts here but you maybe right. It's so hard to follow what is conjecture and what is fact on social media and online reporting. Not saying you are also wrong here either. It doesn't matter what i think anyways, I'm not involved.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:35 pm

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he has confessed, so the correct term is that he ALLEGEDLY shot her. I also leave room for self-defense. Also, I believe there could be a link to the condemnation of property, since that is public record.
Many years ago I was in a marriage with a man who first became emotionally and verbally abusive. It was beginning to escalate into physical abuse and I was seriously thinking of poisoning him. I had a pretty good plan. A girl friend talked me out of it. I say this because unless you've been in a position such as that; lack of sleep, constant state of fear arousal for an extended time, unusual responsibilities and extenuating circumstances... it's hard to say what you might do.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Ryeissa wrote:I don't trust the online community to be presenting facts here but you maybe right. It's so hard to follow what is conjecture and what is fact on social media and online reporting. Not saying you are also wrong here either. It doesn't matter what i think anyways, I'm not involved.

Which is why, IMO, the "facts" will come out in court, not floating around social media. Conjecture, innuendo, guesses, etc are not admissible in court. True that there may be facts floating around on social media but no sifting of quality needs to be done if one is patient and awaits the trial. :)

Mostly why I haven't been reading this topic either here or on COTH... too much emotion on both sides as well as opinions and thoughts which aren't 'facts'. The only opinion allowed in a trial is an expert opinion given by someone who has the credentials to be an expert on the area in which they are testifying.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:40 pm

kande50 wrote:
heddylamar wrote:

Except self defense, for one. To be clear, I'm not saying it was self defense because I wasn't there so don't know, but there are quite a few circumstances in which someone can get shot and there is at least some degree of justification for it. This may or may not be one of those circumstances.

Count me in as another who feels there is a time and place where lethal force is appropriate.

Certainly HL's opinion that there is no justification but I'm another than would, given the circumstances, may feel that the use of lethal force is justified.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:09 pm

MB made multiple phone calls to the police and yet the situation continued to escalate. Very sad.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Chisamba wrote: how about googling how to evict a tenant. then legally following the advice , securing an eviction and having the police evict with a legal eviction notice.

I don't know about NJ laws, but having had to evict a tenant once I can assure you it's very difficult and expensive if they don't leave after the hearing.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:05 pm

kande50 wrote:
heddylamar wrote:

I completely disagree. That’s why there are things like pepper spray, self defense classes (krav maga is fantastic), and police.

Private citizens randomly shooting people they feel are threatening is a slippery slope that I don’t want to be on. Who gets to decide? Does a different color of skin or an accent equate to “threatening”?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Which is why, IMO, the "facts" will come out in court, not floating around social media.
I don't think there will be a trial. I think he'll take a plea bargain and serve time. Then the questions will continued to be unanswered and the thread will go on and on for eternity.

In NJ, cases like this have to go to a Grand Jury. If the GJ decides to indict, then he will go in front of the judge and enter a plea. If the GJ doesn't indict. He walks. If he pleads not guilty, there will be a trial. New Jersey has fairly recent laws which give a speedy trial in cases like this. From arrest, they have 90 days to go to the GJ. If indicted, then there has to be a trial in 180 days. 30 days has gone by now, so in the next 60 days we should know more.
https://www.newjerseycriminaldefenseatt ... ry-1-2017/

There is no self defense in this case. If there were, his attorney would have brought that up at when he was charged in front of the judge and trying to get him bail. The only thing the attorney kept telling the judge was about the harassing and her 'squatting' on the property and not leaving. Video of that hearing is available.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:52 pm

musical comedy wrote:
KathyK wrote: No. As has been stated numerous times throughout the CoTH thread, few, if any, support such an absurd idea. People are looking for reasons that this happened. Placing some of the responsibility for the events that led up to the shooting on the victim is not the same as saying Mr. Barisone was justified in shooting her.
Few are going to admit on line that they are glad she was shot, but I believe some of them are. Look, some are already saying they want to help his case. Most would like to see him get off with a light sentence. You too?

You have a lot of nerve assuming you know anything about my opinion on this subject. My post was 100% neutral.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 pm

KathyK wrote: You have a lot of nerve assuming you know anything about my opinion on this subject. My post was 100% neutral.
I asked "you too?" Note there is a :?: there. I assumed nothing about you. Even if I did, I am permitted to assume whatever I want about anyone. So are you.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 pm

I call BS. If you hadn't meant "You, too?" as a clear insinuation that I agreed, you wouldn't have written it. Coyness doesn't suit you.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:26 pm

heddylamar wrote:I completely disagree. That’s why there are things like pepper spray, self defense classes (krav maga is fantastic), and police.

Private citizens randomly shooting people they feel are threatening is a slippery slope that I don’t want to be on. Who gets to decide? Does a different color of skin or an accent equate to “threatening”?

Law enforcement can't respond instantaneously, they just can't. At one point many, many years ago, after seeing some LE shooting I asked a LEO if he would mind if I took care of a problem myself rather than waiting for LE and he was fine with that :) (myself being a better shot than many of the LE I'd been watching)

If the assailant is armed, pepper spray or "self defense" such as kraal mega won't help; one does not bring a knife to a gun fight. For the 'self defense' disciplines, one must be in close proximity; I'm not sure that's always the best advice or solution.

I've seen videos of people who have fought through pepper spray and continued to be violent. LE is trained to fight through pepper spray; many agencies spray their recruits during training.

I can only speak for me, but I have no plans to 'randomly' shoot someone. If they are threatening, then the person isn't, in my book random anymore, they're a threat which puts them in a different category, regardless of their accent or color of skin.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:58 am

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Kind of a bizarre article, certain the writer takes the view of supporting Lauren, who now I've been following her a bit seems like a total loon. Sociopath. Loved her comment that she couldn't remember calling CPS. And now the article is out she can stop claiming she was shot three or four times. And MB is claiming self-defense.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:15 pm

The article is bizarre, if I hadn't already heard the story from other sources I'm not sure what I'd make of it. They seem to want to portray the shooting victim as someone who is being unfairly attacked on social media but then also show screen captures of her saying some crazy things.

In any case nobody gets a free pass for shooting anyone unless they were really doing it for self defense which I'm not sure really seems to be the case here but that's not my place to decide. However it also seems the shooting victim ran around poking people seeing what sorts of reactions she could get and eventually poked the wrong person so she's now suffered the consequences of that. I would never say she deserved it and that the shooter doesn't deserve consequences but it seems probable that without her behaviors it wouldn't have happened.
Last edited by Imperini on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Lauren is generating her own buzz and narrative, she sounds really mentally unstable.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”