Lifestyles of the rich (aka Training in Florida)

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Lifestyles of the rich (aka Training in Florida)

Postby musical comedy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:48 am

My trainer is taking his group to Florida again this year. Price of board+training: $3700/month
I don't think that includes the seasonal dry stall cost which could be 1k a month or more.
Add to that your farrier fee, living expenses, and showing if you do it.

Some may think I'm being dishonest when I say i wouldn't go if I had the money, but it's true. I went once in 2003 and I hated it down there.

I am so ready to quit this sport but I'm kinda stuck because of needing to care for my old guy.

KathyK

Re: Lifestyles of the rich (aka Training in Florida)

Postby KathyK » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Maybe if I had unlimited funds, a horse destined for or at the FEI levels, and the ability to ride it, I might consider it. Otherwise, not on a bet.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Wow that’s a bit of $ ! I find that whole concept strange, I don’t see it here in Aus. It might happen I’m just not part of a crowd that does it.
Don’t let it get you down MC!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Yikes! So all in all you are probably looking at 7-8 k a month for your horse and yourself.

I have friends that go down for the winter and I'm sure thy aren't spring that much.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Flight wrote:Wow that’s a bit of $ ! I find that whole concept strange, I don’t see it here in Aus. It might happen I’m just not part of a crowd that does it.

I don't think you have the same kind of winter we do in the northern U.S., so it probably isn't a "thing" there.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:12 pm

KathyK wrote:I don't think you have the same kind of winter we do in the northern U.S., so it probably isn't a "thing" there.

Well it's been snowing today! But yes, not the same winters that happen over there.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Nope...I am a bare bones, cheap board DIY/hands on kind of person. Most people wouldn't even look twice at where I board. But...I have a healthy happy horse that is able to move 24/7. I have a trailer so can get other places. It works for me. I just retired last month and for sure $$$ like that are not going to be spent on riding.

I did do one bucket list thing eons ago. I hired my instructor to haul me and my horse to the Arabian Nationals (Boise, ID to Albuquerque, NM). I think we were gone 10 days and I can't remember what that cost but it was totally doable $$$ wise (was in the early 80's). Just one function, not an entire season. It was fun, I saw a lot (including how the rich and famous live) and good for them but I came back home to my little pasture with a dirt ring in the middle :mrgreen: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 pm

I’m not serious enough a rider to consider spending that kind of money and time. Plus I hate summer.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:12 pm

I would really need a lot more money than I have now to afford Wellington. I think if I had the funds for that amount to be nbd I might want to try the experience at least once to see what it's all about.

But as it stands now, that kind of thing is not only not possible financially, but also something that I'm not sure I'd want. I think my horses are great, but they are very humble compared to some of those international quality horses in Wellington.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:13 pm

That scene is not for me, even if I had the money and lived closer to the other coast. However, I have thought that it could be worthwhile to go somewhere, perhaps California, for a month or so in winter for some intensive training. My instructor is currently based in CA, so if that's still the case when and if I ever get a horse working consistently and moving up the levels, I might seriously think about it.

But yeah... some people just have/spend a mind-boggling amount of money. I feel fortunate to be able to afford my horses on a much more humble budget and scale though.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:15 pm

I would like to go to Wellington once, without a horse, just to watch the scene. I'm aware that I would have to avert my gaze from some of it!

I have a friend who used to do the Welly-world thing with her horses. After a few seasons, she realized she was becoming a horsewoman who was just trying to buy her way into dressage medals, rather than learning anything about how to ride and train. Fortunately, she cold afford the $$$$$ she blew learning this.

So MC, I'd say make up a good homework/progress plan with your trainer now and make a plan for checking in a few times over winter. Some people do this by text, by video, etc.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:19 am

I visited a friend in Florida this spring an we went to Wellington. It was very, very, very expensive. There were some very nice horses there and a lot of money, and while some very nice riders, but in general, was not impressed.

I know some people there work very very hard and are great, but so many people just buying the horses to compete, I just don't get it. I see it's fun to ride a horse that has all of the movements on it if you haven't ridden that, but I do not get the fulfillment of of showing that. It's like buying a Ferrari and being proud yo won at the go cart track.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:44 am

Kyra's Mom wrote:I saw a lot (including how the rich and famous live) and good for them but I came back home to my little pasture with a dirt ring in the middle :mrgreen: .

I don't think the horses care one little bit. Not even the fancy ones. They are still a horse and love nothing better than grazing or rolling in the dirt.

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 am

I’d like to do Aiken or Ocala when the kids go off to college ... in 15 years when I’m 58. But if it catches up to Wellington in price, I guess maybe not. DH is a corporate lawyer, but that’s hedge fund money!

rocky213
Greenie

Postby rocky213 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:49 am

Does it have to be so expensive ? I can imagine in Wellington, it probably would cost a small fortune to rent even a dry stall. But I am thinking Ocala is probably less expensive, and if you did all the work yourself, rented a room in a condo with some people, trailered out to lessons, it could probably be doable for the average ammy who saved up money.

I know a friend who goes down every year to Wellington and she definitely does the economy route. She made alot of contacts to find a cheap stall in a not so fancy barn, and shares a room with another friend who goes every year. She trail rides to her lessons or her trainer comes over to her not so fancy barn. She seems to have alot of fun and has improved a lot.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:58 pm

"I am so ready to quit this sport but I'm kinda stuck because of needing to care for my old guy."

That's what I'd call, "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater." Life - and dressage - is full of options.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:"I am so ready to quit this sport but I'm kinda stuck because of needing to care for my old guy."
That's what I'd call, "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater." Life - and dressage - is full of options.
Call me dense, but I don't understand your point. Of course there are options to everything. Perhaps I chose the wrong words, which is par for the course for me. I'm sick of riding. I'm sick of horses in general. I have an old horse I need to care for, and am not willing to turn him over to someone else. Is that a little more clear? Because of my mind set, I don't understand the thinking of today's riders and competitors, even though perhaps I thought like them at one time. Maybe it's my old age or maybe I'm just seeing the light.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:51 pm

musical comedy wrote: Maybe it's my old age or maybe I'm just seeing the light.

I like to think we've gotten older and wiser, although it may be that everyone just projects their own issues onto their horses? So if we love to ride we like to believe our horses love it, too. Or if we're tired and sore maybe it makes us more sensitive to the possibility that our horses may get tired and sore, too?

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:43 pm

The training in FL I also interpret as expensive and only for someone with the time / money to pursue it. Even when I was working full-time and may have been able to splurge the money - how would I have the time to disappear from my job for several weeks? So that would automatically disqualify me to pursue going there. Definitely lifestyles of the rich IMO. Never been on my bucket list and no interest in it.

MC - it sounds like you have closed a chapter in your life and may be ready for something different. At least that will apply for me when I no longer own a horse/pony. I can no longer deal with the heart break and commitment to pursue horse ownership in the future. I hope I can pursue a new journey that will make me content.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:46 pm

" I'm sick of horses in general." We come from different places. That's inconceivable to me. Inconceivable.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:13 am

Tarlo Farm wrote:" I'm sick of horses in general." We come from different places. That's inconceivable to me. Inconceivable.

The stress of losing your life partner and facing the challenges of life alone, heading into winter and holiday season would be exceptionally stressful. Then your friend and trainer loads up and leaves too.

I bet the feeling of abandonment is excruciating.

Peace and strength to you MC

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:39 am

I was a working student near Wellington in Loxahatchee in '92/93. Not my scene but would love to go back to a big show to watch and shop and take it all in at this point. With some actual friends.

I can't believe it's $3700. And what is a dry stall?

Hypersmom
Greenie

Postby Hypersmom » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:47 pm

A friend of mine goes down almost every winter. She trains and competes a WB for a breeder, though she has not shown the horse while in Florida. I ran into her last summer and asked how she afforded it because she is just an ordinary person. The previous winter she got a gig as a working student on the weekends with a BNT. The breeder helped her to get the position. On the weekdays she worked for a veterinarian. So basically she worked almost every day. She has a small farm up north and her husband stays up here to take care of the place. He is not horsey in slightest. They fly back forth to visit each other. She previously had two horses which she sold before getting the ride on the WB. She loves training, but dislikes showing. She has brought the horse along from training to Prix St George. She asked me if I wanted to come down with her as she said she could get me set up. LOL, I declined the kind offer.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:17 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Tarlo Farm wrote:"I am so ready to quit this sport but I'm kinda stuck because of needing to care for my old guy."
Call me dense, but I don't understand your point. Of course there are options to everything. Perhaps I chose the wrong words, which is par for the course for me. I'm sick of riding. I'm sick of horses in general. I have an old horse I need to care for, and am not willing to turn him over to someone else. Is that a little more clear? Because of my mind set, I don't understand the thinking of today's riders and competitors, even though perhaps I thought like them at one time. Maybe it's my old age or maybe I'm just seeing the light.

I think this is very dependent on who you associate with"todays riders and competitors" can be quite a range.

I'm sorry you are burned out. You don't have to ride, and perhaps you can retire him to field board. We all have emotional/mental/physical limits on what we can deal with. Please take care of yourself and your health MC

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:31 pm

chantal wrote:
I can't believe it's $3700. And what is a dry stall?

Just the stall, you provide the stuff and do all the work!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”