Anyone know anything about trailer electrical?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Anyone know anything about trailer electrical?

Postby Chancellor » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:45 am

I am selling my horse trailer. Last night, I had a guy come and wanted to buy the thing. We hooked it up to his truck and the running lights didn't work. EVERYTHING else worked. Brakes, hazards, blinkers but not the running lights.

I have to go get my truck from the shop, hook my trailer up to it and see if there is an actual problem or if it is the guy's truck that is the problem. But I thought I would ask here if anyone has any ideas.

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Anyone know anything about trailer electrical?

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:18 pm

check the source at the lights and the 6 way plug. Its probably not his truck. I would just trace the circuits and test.

Briarwood
Novice

Postby Briarwood » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Did the guy have a Ford? The only reason I ask is that I had a trailer and my Ford and the running lights came on only when the truck was running. Maybe i had a wiring issue, but this worked for me. Just a thought.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:56 pm

It actually was a Ford but the truck was running. My mechanic came and looked at it yesterday and cleaned the circuits and the lights worked. So, the question is, will it work on his truck....IF he comes back

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:32 am

My understanding which is worth absolutely nothing is that the plug assigned to the ground on your trailer is not matching the receiver on his truck. I have this problem on my 1997 4-star which has the older 6 prong plug. Not all of the 6 to 7 adapters will work. A competent trailer mechanic with the right instruments would be able to figure this out in a heartbeat.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:44 am

Agree with goldhorse. If power is going to all the bits in your plug, it's most likely an incompatibility. I'm not sure what configuration was on my trailer when I bought it, but the dealer had to swap the pig tail before I could haul off the lot with my F250.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Well, the good news is that someone came this weekend and bought the trailer and it worked great with their truck! So, this story ends happily.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:47 pm

yeah, keep the trailer connection clean too- the one that plugs into the truck. I bet that was it but all good news!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”