donating clothing

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

donating clothing

Postby musical comedy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm

I have in the past donated clothing to various places that pick up at the house. Lupus, Veterans, etc. I'm pretty much out of things to donate, but I still have some high quality 'business' clothes just hanging in my closet and will probably never been worn again. They are probably way out of style anyway. Longer high quality wool skirts. Blazers. Dressy blouses. Even a couple very nice maxi-length wool coats. Also a faux fur coat that is more than 40 years old and I paid a lot for it then. Looks like mink. I'm having a hard time parting with these things and am ambivalent about doing so. What does the forum think?

Ryeissa

Re: donating clothing

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:25 pm

musical comedy wrote:I have in the past donated clothing to various places that pick up at the house. Lupus, Veterans, etc. I'm pretty much out of things to donate, but I still have some high quality 'business' clothes just hanging in my closet and will probably never been worn again. They are probably way out of style anyway. Longer high quality wool skirts. Blazers. Dressy blouses. Even a couple very nice maxi-length wool coats. Also a faux fur coat that is more than 40 years old and I paid a lot for it then. Looks like mink. I'm having a hard time parting with these things and am ambivalent about doing so. What does the forum think?

a lot of those things are back in fashion...... I would try a vintage consignment shop....

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I'd keep them because they are quality. At some point you could have the skirts altered to be more in style. Maxi length coats are always in style, as is faux fur. However, if you don't wear them, find a consignment shop or a resale shop in a classy neighborhood.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm

I'd keep a few favorites, and donate the rest.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Quality wool skirts....those you don't find anymore! For donations, women's shelters (or their related thrift stores) often need business attire for their clients to wear to job interviews as the clients try to re-start their lives and join the workforce.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:25 pm

dressforsuccess.org

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Yes, Dress for Success!

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:09 pm

https://centralnj.dressforsuccess.org/g ... sale-2018/

I just contacted them too to find a donation location. More closets to clean out!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 pm

We accept women’s business professional attire in ALL sizes.
Styles within 5 years.

No garbage bags – on hangers.

WISH LIST ITEMS!!! Larger Clothing Sizes 18+ AND Larger Shoe Sizes 10+

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Well then forget my donations as older plus smaller sizes. Too bad they are all higher end items made far better than some of the clothes sold today.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 am

Do you sew? If so, you could use the material from the older clothes to make new skirts.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 am

PaulaO wrote:Do you sew? If so, you could use the material from the older clothes to make new skirts.

:lol: :lol: Sew? Skirts? :lol: :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 am

I was in a client's closet last week having this same discussion as we looked at her collection of beautiful, neglected business clothes, and I've just made a final clear out of all formal business clothing, which probably counted as vintage at this point.

Armani, Max Mara, Valentino... sigh... all those beautiful. flattering shapes and lovely fabrics from the 80s and 90s from my London, Paris, New York days. I'd never be able to get them zipped up today let alone have any opportunity to wear them.

Now I live in a log cabin up a mountain in rural Utah and my workwear consists of jeans and down jackets--but I do a nice line in interesting (flat) boots and sweaters so as not to let the side down completely :)

Off to the Christian Center they went, where they will probably end up as Halloween costumes.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm

consignment shop for older quality

also large regional theatres may find them handy in the costume shop

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”