Roadside Assistance Renewal...Feedback Please?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Roadside Assistance Renewal...Feedback Please?

Postby fergusnc » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:02 am

So, when The Fixer Upper Farm was ready to bring horses home, I finally bought a trailer of my own after (then) 16 years with my big boy. Main reason, emergencies. And not having fellow boarders to beg/rely on in case of emergencies. Was there a chance I might take the rescue pony off on fun adventures, sure, maybe if things unfolded that way. Was there a chance the big boy might go to interesting places such as a breed demo or ground work clinic, small maybe, as travel stresses him and stress makes me worry about potential for another bout of EPM. He is a happy home body. Retired from riding, let alone showing.

I have had the trailer three years now and it has never had a horse in it. It is parked on gravel, has wheel covers, gets taken around the block every month or two, and carries lots of hay, from our fields and from a bit up the road, at harvest time. I haven't even sat on the rescue pony in 3.5 years...any and all training has been mental and on the ground. I have no arena, and life doesn't seem to have any extra hours in it.

I got US Rider coverage before I went to pick up the trailer at the dealer 3 years ago. The most recent renewal just came in the mail. I'm thinking it's about $150. I know in the big scheme of things it's not a ton of money, but I got to thinking about all the details I listed above. Add them to the fact that my big boy had a scary summer with yet another go round of EPM...5th time we've treated in 19 years...which was his biggest presentation yet involving a choke...almost daily vet visits for a week, and later several weekly/monthly check-ins by the vet. Add in some supportive meds for immune system. Throw in the summer dental work appointments split over different visits as he needed to wait to be healthy enough for sedation, and finally Fall shots for everyone. Holy cow, the bank account total dropped! So, another $150 not going out would be a nice thing.

I have also heard some folks around here say they got zero help from US Rider in the one or two times they ever needed it during all their years of coverage.

All this made me think I really don't need to renew. But, as a person who finds some comfort in "coverage", I wanted to ask for feedback in case I am missing something. Weigh in please? In my situation, would you renew? Thanks all!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Roadside Assistance Renewal...Feedback Please?

Postby PaulaO » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Not only would I not renew, I would sell the trailer. Sounds like your boy is not up to traveling for any reason. If you sold the trailer, could you find anyone to trailer you in case of a true emergency?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:31 pm

I would drop the insurance. I've actually never bothered with it even though I do haul regularly. Long distance hauls are infrequent, and I have a bunch of people who could rescue the trailer locally.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Paula...No way I am selling the trailer. That is peace of mind for me. To ask someone to haul me 3 hours to a vet hospital was something I hated asking the 3 times it has happened with my big boy in the last 19 years, and all three times is was a panic situation seeing who was free and who was willing in the urgent circumstances that were going on. So, that has solidly formed my opinion that having horses at my home means owning a trailer. And I have no idea what the next 20+ years with the pony will hold, once farm Reno is finished and I have more time to play. Who knows what we may or may not do. :D And again, even pony could have an emergency.

Heddy...yes, even though I've been away from showing and training for awhile, there are still a few friends I could call locally if we were hauling nearby and something went wrong. The chances of a long distance haul, right now, are slim and would realistically only be in an emergency and a trip the a vet hospital.

So, two votes to drop the service. Anyone else? Thanks guys!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:48 pm

The one time I used USRider in the 11 years I've had their coverage was a good experience for me. So far, no other emergencies, knock wood. I'm down to, maybe 3 or 4 trailer rides per year with my senior retiree.

Could you switch to some type of coverage under another existing policy? Auto? Homeowners? Farm? I personally would keep some type of roadside assistance for the time being. Then, if your life/horse situation takes another turn of some type, re-evaluate.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:41 pm

What about AAA? I always keep my coverage, about $60 a year, that helps with the once in a great while flat, lock out, out of gas on my car or truck and trailer.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:18 pm

fergusnc wrote:Paula...No way I am selling the trailer. That is peace of mind for me. To ask someone to haul me 3 hours to a vet hospital was something I hated asking the 3 times it has happened with my big boy in the last 19 years, and all three times is was a panic situation seeing who was free and who was willing in the urgent circumstances that were going on. So, that has solidly formed my opinion that having horses at my home means owning a trailer. And I have no idea what the next 20+ years with the pony will hold, once farm Reno is finished and I have more time to play. Who knows what we may or may not do. :D And again, even pony could have an emergency.

Same. About 10 years ago I got a panicked call from someone I used to board with. Her mare was down in the field and the field vets were attending other emergencies. There was not truck/trailer on the property so I brought my rig up as fast as I could. Sadly, that mare never got up again, but I never want to have that feeling of helplessness if I need to get my horse moved in an emergency. When Rosette got in her crash, I was grateful to have my trailer right there, so we had her at the clinic getting stitches within 30 minutes.

As far as US Rider - I don't have it. I mostly trailer locally, and in the off chance that I had an emergency that AAA wouldn't be able to handle (flats, lockouts, etc.), I think cash can generate the needed help. I would probably get it if I was ever hauling out of state for shows multiple times per year.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:43 pm

I wouldn't keep a horse at home w/o a trailer either.

My trailer is covered for catastrophic by auto insurance, but they don't offer roadside except hauling -- on a flatbed. That's not a problem for me, anything I'd need roadside assistance for (lights, fuses, flat tire) is something I can repair on the side of the road.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:07 pm

I have it. I've had their service for 20 years. I have used them a total of 8 times including on my car when I've had a flat. I have 99% of the time had great service. The only time I didn't have awesome service was once with a flat on my trailer, fully loaded with horses headed for a show two hours away. I was out in the middle of nowhere and the guy that came to change my tire did not have a jack suitable for a fully loaded rig. Fortunately I did. I made him change the tire using my equipment; so, in the end I got what I needed but the subcontracted party was a lazy sorry a$$. Now having said that, I must be honest. I sure as heck did not want to be the one out in close to 100 degree weather changing that tire either. Every one else who has come it as a part of their service has been awesome. I will continue to carry it because I do still have horses at home. I do still have a trailer. I have no one else I can count on to assist me as I age and lose strength in my hands so that it's very difficult for me to change tires. I can still jump start my own vehicles though ;)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:21 am

heddylamar wrote:I wouldn't keep a horse at home w/o a trailer either.

My trailer is covered for catastrophic by auto insurance, but they don't offer roadside except hauling -- on a flatbed. That's not a problem for me, anything I'd need roadside assistance for (lights, fuses, flat tire) is something I can repair on the side of the road.

Heddy, is that through your auto insurance company or AAA or someone separate? Will they out the truck/trailer on a flatbed with horses on it? I had heard that was one big difference with US Rider?

exvet wrote:I have it. I've had their service for 20 years. I have used them a total of 8 times including on my car when I've had a flat. I have 99% of the time had great service. The only time I didn't have awesome service was once with a flat on my trailer, fully loaded with horses headed for a show two hours away. I was out in the middle of nowhere and the guy that came to change my tire did not have a jack suitable for a fully loaded rig. Fortunately I did. I made him change the tire using my equipment; so, in the end I got what I needed but the subcontracted party was a lazy sorry a$$. Now having said that, I must be honest. I sure as heck did not want to be the one out in close to 100 degree weather changing that tire either. Every one else who has come it as a part of their service has been awesome. I will continue to carry it because I do still have horses at home. I do still have a trailer. I have no one else I can count on to assist me as I age and lose strength in my hands so that it's very difficult for me to change tires. I can still jump start my own vehicles though ;)

Exvet, you mean Iike a Trailer Aid drive up on it jack? Just making sure I have what I need in my truck. That is what I bought when I bought the trailer.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:39 am

fergusnc wrote:
heddylamar wrote:I wouldn't keep a horse at home w/o a trailer either.

Heddy, is that through your auto insurance company or AAA or someone separate? Will they out the truck/trailer on a flatbed with horses on it? I had heard that was one big difference with US Rider?

That's through my auto insurance (USAA) who won't haul horses, just the trailer. I'd have to find separate accommodations for the critters, but I consider the cost savings v. extremely rare need to be a fair trade off.

I've hauled 1000 miles (2000 miles round trip) several times, along with many local trips. US Rider just hasn't been necessary IMO. I have both trailer and truck inspected before long hauls, and make sure I can budge all lug nuts, lower the spare on the truck (that mechanism rusts), and that all 10 tires have the correct air pressure.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:43 am

While I do have one of those, no I also carry a 10,000 lb jack which is what I needed at the time.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:27 am

We have US Rider instead of AAA now because they theoretically can help with a horse trailer, and they cover all our other vehicles as well.

I've only had to use them once so far when trailering--my previous truck (which now belongs to someone else) lit up with blinking warning lights like a Christmas tree when I was on my way to a horse show. They were prompt and helpful. I also had them come change a flat on my truck once, too, and they were good. (Yes I can do it if I have to, but if I'm paying someone $150 a year, they can come do it for me, thankyouverymuch.)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:10 am

exvet wrote:While I do have one of those, no I also carry a 10,000 lb jack which is what I needed at the time.

Thanks. So, just so I can be more prepared, what makes you need the Big Time jack versus the trailer aid? I just have a two horse Hawk, n case this relates to trailer size and number of horses....

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:34 pm

My trucks have all been one tons or 3/4 tons, loaded with hay and pulling a trailer, regular truck jack not the safest if the blow out is on the truck. I had a four horse trailer that usually was fully loaded, again the trailer aid wasn't always enough or the safest. I can get away with the trailer aid on my 2-horse if the blow out is on the trailer and not the truck.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 am

exvet wrote:I can get away with the trailer aid on my 2-horse if the blow out is on the trailer and not the truck.

So in that case, if the blow out was on the truck, you'd need a heavy duty jack for the truck, not a regular truck jack?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:35 am

I don't know how literal you were saying the horses have never been on the trailer, but if that's true, I'd practice loading them. An emergency is not the time to find out they don't want to get on. I like to make sure I can load mine single-handed in case no one is around to help.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:46 am

fergusnc wrote:
exvet wrote:I can get away with the trailer aid on my 2-horse if the blow out is on the trailer and not the truck.

So in that case, if the blow out was on the truck, you'd need a heavy duty jack for the truck, not a regular truck jack?

I've had a few blow outs over the years. Some having to do with the trailer tire and with the trailer fully loaded. Some occurred with the truck tire and a trailer attached that was fully loaded. Up until a few years ago I always was hauling a full sized 4-horse, dressing room extra long rig. Typically when you're out in the middle of no where with that situation the tire change on the truck must occur with the trailer still attached and fully loaded. With that in mind, yes, a heavy duty jack is needed. You can try to get away with your regular truck jack but I personally wouldn't do it. That isn't just me but some have tried and succeeded. I'm not going to accept the risk.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:16 am

exvet wrote:
fergusnc wrote:

I've had a few blow outs over the years. Some having to do with the trailer tire and with the trailer fully loaded. Some occurred with the truck tire and a trailer attached that was fully loaded. Up until a few years ago I always was hauling a full sized 4-horse, dressing room extra long rig. Typically when you're out in the middle of no where with that situation the tire change on the truck must occur with the trailer still attached and fully loaded. With that in mind, yes, a heavy duty jack is needed. You can try to get away with your regular truck jack but I personally wouldn't do it. That isn't just me but some have tried and succeeded. I'm not going to accept the risk.

Thanks exvet, I have literally never heard of this in all the years I have been trying to learn from every horse person around me...only ever heard about a trailer tire and the Trailer Aid....so I am so very thankful you brought this up! I am also in the be overly prepared tribe, so will get going on getting a Big Time jack asap! So....where do you find these, and what parameters am I looking for? 10,000 lb capability? And one that likes my year, make, model or truck...or are they universal? Again, thanks!!

StraightForward wrote:I don't know how literal you were saying the horses have never been on the trailer, but if that's true, I'd practice loading them. An emergency is not the time to find out they don't want to get on. I like to make sure I can load mine single-handed in case no one is around to help.

Thanks SF. I mean literally never been on this specific trailer, but both load in general. That said, they could both do better, and could be more consistent with their point and shoot skills. Yes, I need to make time to practice on this specific trailer, you're right, but it's been a matter of when there is time, it's 100 degrees and sunny, or the field is under water. And how the heck have they been home for 3.5 years already?! This trailer is a customized Big Boy Hawk, so the most roomy and welcoming trailer either has probably ever loaded on...not to jinx myself but I think that will help. Have had some more country neighbor horse folks look in my trailer when I first got it, and the comments included "geez, I bet any horse would walk on that, even my guy who hasn't gotten in any trailer I've ever used". Now, the donkey....for him I'd have to track down a stock trailer and my longer line and an extra hand or two...according to the rescue founder, donks are not big fans of trailers.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 pm

I would recommend getting a jack that can hold the weight of your truck and trailer (loaded) combined. You can either drive to a weigh station for that information or look up the details online or in the manuals for each your truck and trailer. I can't say that I have a preference in a particular brand of jack but I would make sure it's of a design that you (ie, female and your height/size) can use relatively easily. I had to make sure the arm/lever was of a length that someone like me who is shorter and smaller frame could use by myself.

As for your questions/comments on horses being able to load and trailer style. I will say that I have been asked and hired to haul horses who have never loaded or were problem loaders in the past under emergency situations. The more open the style of the trailer, usually the more doable it is. I have always kept tranquilizers on hand (of course being a vet makes this easier to do) and blind folds in those situations where they were needed. I've helped evacuate in forest fire situations, often without owners, trying to load unknown horses that I've found out have never been on a trailer before. My (former) large stock style trailer was a godsend. Still it's best if you can refresh training periodically in that one in a million chance you have to load quickly in a dire situation.

I too am of the mind that being over prepared is not only your best defense but often means you'll never need it (which makes me happy). Still, in terms of breakdowns on the road, I've had imo quite a few and was grateful every time for the annual service I have gladly paid for each year.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”